PS3 is "ideal" for Unreal Torunament mods, says Epic Games producer

BlackHitachi

Medford Oregon
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2003
Medford, Oregon
We went through a demo of Unreal Tournament III with Morris and got a fairly good glimpse at what this guerrilla warfare title will bring to the PS3 when it comes out in November.

In just a quick 15-minute demonstration, we saw five different vehicles, including a hovercraft, a massive tank, and an orb-like device that moves with autonomous claws on the ground (kind of like Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2).

Over 40 maps, 14 death match maps, and 16 vehicles will grace the new Sci-Fi shooter game. We saw alternating gameplay sequences between the PC and PS3, and the PC version looked just a little bit crisper.

There's really no reason to knock the PS3 build we saw, though. Real-time physics were implemented everywhere, from environmental elements to characters' clothing. It was also cool to see a defensive plasma-type "box" that players could run into. Shots fired through the box would move in slow motion, giving players a Matrix-style defense.

Of course, Unreal Tournament has lived for quite a while mainly on the PC. With custom mods and constantly circulating game additions, it was a system that previously could not have fully worked on a console. The PS3 is the best platform to bring that stuff out of the PC realm, according to Morris.

We could tell right away that the game was really tailored for the PS3, even though an Xbox 360 version is slated for next year. For example, a new hoverboard is controlled using the controller's motion sensitive Sixaxis technology, and allows the character to move at twice the speed of foot travel.

"I don't even know how we'll do mods on the Xbox," said Morris. He said the PS3 online network is very developer-friendly. Mods could even be downloaded directly from the PS3 via the Internet browser, or brought over from a PC by way of a Memory Stick. Xbox Live has a very closed system, and takes around two weeks for a developer to get a new piece of content on the Xbox Live Marketplace.

This week we also saw a couple PS3 games coming out from independent developers. It gives hope that game creators are now fully starting to understand the infrastructure behind the PS3. Subscribe to the TG Daily N

TG Daily - PS3 is "ideal" for Unreal Torunament mods, says Epic Games producer

Ideal after the PC. This game runs faster than Halo, I don't think that kind of gameplay is suited well for a gamepad, opinion of course.

PS3 still isnt able to get user created mods because the tools to 'cook' the mod so it is able to be transferred to a PS3 are not ready yet, they're still working on them.

They released a community made map themselves just so they could tout that milestone on 12/21, but otherwise 'omg user mods!' hasn't actually happened yet despite the game being out a few weeks.

Cool that it is finally happening, hopefully ushers in a new standard for PC-Console interoperability, but usually when that kind of stuff is talked about it means one or the other gets neutered to make it all work.

I also think the Mouse Keyboard combo will be a painful lesson for guys who use a controller!! LOL
I can here it now HEAD SHOT HEAD SHOT! Double KILL MULTI KILL!!:hungry::hungry:

Ideal after the PC. This game runs faster than Halo, I don't think that kind of gameplay is suited well for a gamepad, opinion of course.

PS3 still isnt able to get user created mods because the tools to 'cook' the mod so it is able to be transferred to a PS3 are not ready yet, they're still working on them.

They released a community made map themselves just so they could tout that milestone on 12/21, but otherwise 'omg user mods!' hasn't actually happened yet despite the game being out a few weeks.

Cool that it is finally happening, hopefully ushers in a new standard for PC-Console interoperability, but usually when that kind of stuff is talked about it means one or the other gets neutered to make it all work.
I just put 4 user mods on my PS3! They are cooking them, they are here now, its in the forums at epic!

I wasn't bashing anything, was pointing out the inaccuracy the 7 month old article.

The point still stands, Epic has not released the tools, so the 3300 posts in the Mods forum don't currently apply to PS3 users.

The community can't release the mods, they have to hope Epic picks theirs and puts it out for them.

Hardly 'ideal' as-is. Like all things PS3... "oh, it's coming soon".

I wasn't bashing anything, was pointing out the inaccuracy the 7 month old article.

The point still stands, Epic has not released the tools, so the 3300 posts in the Mods forum don't currently apply to PS3 users.

The community can't release the mods, they have to hope Epic picks theirs and puts it out for them.

Hardly 'ideal' as-is. Like all things PS3... "oh, it's coming soon".

Right...your not bashing...

Moving on, will UT3 be compatible with the new Dual Shock 3 controller that is coming out soon?

Right...your not bashing...

Moving on, will UT3 be compatible with the new Dual Shock 3 controller that is coming out soon?

I wasn't bashing, until it was labeled as such. I gave my opinion, got an ignorant response, so it drew out the bashing.

I'd expect that most everything from Q3 and onward will support the DS3 since it was a known quantity to program for at that point.

Google found this list for me, so good news if it can be trusted!

Sony PS3 Modding - Homebrew, Upgrades, Mods, and Hacks: PS3 Dualshock 3 Game List

I wasn't bashing, until it was labeled as such. I gave my opinion, got an ignorant response, so it drew out the bashing.

I'd expect that most everything from Q3 and onward will support the DS3 since it was a known quantity to program for at that point.

Google found this list for me, so good news if it can be trusted!

Sony PS3 Modding - Homebrew, Upgrades, Mods, and Hacks: PS3 Dualshock 3 Game List

Then the Reply was,
I just put 4 user mods on my PS3! They are cooking them, they are here now, its in the forums at epic!

Which was not an IGNORANT reply!

Then i Joking with Stuart replied:

Oops we better find another reason to bash this THING!!

No one replied to your post with Ignorance! In fact looking back at your post I do see ignorance just not were you think it is!:rolleyes:

Given that mine is the only dissenting opinion, saying 'Oops we better find another reason to bash this THING!!' you don't leave much to be interperted here.

Feel free to point out any non-opinion inaccuracies in my posts, you try and throw the ignorance card back my direction... I'd think in this thread the post that wins it is the one touting the 7 month old article.

The point still stands. Users cannot make mods for PS3 UT3. And if you think 4 mods a month after release while the PC has a few hundred then you are sorely misguided.

Again, like many things PS3... 'coming soon'.

Elstevo, they are working on them, if you read the forums at epic you will see that they are working on ways for people to cook the ps3 ones.

if you read through your posts, you sound like you are saying they cant do MODS yet for the ps3, then you acknowledge their are 4 and they are working on more, then say they are coming soon....but if we agree their are mods out there and more to come then so be it, hope to see you on sometime!

Users can't.

Epic has taken 4 user mods, over the last month it has been out, and released them for the community.

The crux of the original post is user created mods are going to make PS3 the optimal system to play UT on, which it is not.

It was essentially the begining of Epic's spin to get more press for UT3 to make it more than just a tech demo for their engine. It is selling very poorly for the PS3 and even worse for the PC (less than 100k copies I believe).

It's been out for going on 2 months for PC, and the feature has been touted for a year by Epic... and it is still not ready.

Devil's advocate more than anything, don't like threads that are just filled with people dumping the kool aid all over each other.

Devil's advocate more than anything, don't like threads that are just filled with people dumping the kool aid all over each other.

Ok thats is fine playing devils advocate but the reason for the post are for people who own a PS3 to be happy about Sony, epic who ever trying to make things better, The game is a relatively new game and i THOUGHT is would be perfect for people who will get or have a PS3 to understand things are getting better!!:hatsoff: All of a sudden the Ignorant card got pulled by someone who does not have or like a PS3.:rolleyes: Anyway sorry to the other posters or people in this thread i was posting this to show things are getting better and hopefully mods for Unreal Tournament are coming! If you have a PS3 you understand what i was doing. To any posters thinking I'm spreading KOOL aid?:confused: I have two 360's one wii on the way and 4 computers! I don't drink No one KOOL aid!! lol:D:up

wii mario galaxy?

Guitar Hero III and Rock Band

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)