Guitar Hero III and Rock Band

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Looking to possibly get GH3 for the PS3, but have been reading on the feud between Activision and Harmonix regarding guitar controller compatibility for Rock Band.

Any word on if there's a patch that will allow a GH3 guitar to be used for Rock Band?

I don't know if this is a specific issue for the PS3; but I was running the Rock Band setup last night, and I used both of the GHII guitars with no problem (both wirless and standard). To me the real issue is not being able to use the new RB guitar with any GH games; as the new strat is 100% better than the goofy GH guitars.

Also, since you have a PS3, I would just skip the whole GH series anyhow. Since RB already has dozens of downloadable songs, I would only get GH if you really desperately want some of the exclusive songs. I only bought GHIII because many of the "Bonus" songs are from local Boston Indie bands.

There will not be a patch anytime soon. I'm sure you have read that Activision wants $$$$ to allow Rock Band to use GH guitars.

There will not be a patch anytime soon. I'm sure you have read that Activision wants $$$$ to allow Rock Band to use GH guitars.

Personally I think the stratacaster sucks. I have broken (it only upstrums) 2 guitars now. If you can't get it on 360 stay away from rock band. That way you can use the Les Paul and the Explorer with it.

I like the GH guitar better, it feels more reliable to me, but Rock Band is such a better experience, that we are skipping this iteration of Guitar Hero.

Rock Band has had weekly downloads that for the most part have been worth it, and are less expensive and provide more options than the GH packs (you can download single songs if you want instead of being forced to buy an entire 3-pack of songs for the 1 you want).

Biggest issue with the Activision feud is until they start indiivdual instrument sales (Feb I believe is the current ETA) you won't be able to play 4 players unless a friend brings another RB guitar over, or you buy a 2nd RB pack.

Not that I'd advocate buying a 2nd RB pack, but it wouldn't be a total waste, you can play vs a 2nd drum set on the same TV for example, but I believe the most you can play together coop on 1 song is Mic + Guitar + Bass + Drums.

Rock Band is the clear choice this round. For guitar, GH3 for the most part is just faster, with the same difficulty stepping, but a wider window to hit a note so it actually got easier for some people. With Rock Band, the fret speeds are slower, and a little easier, making the move to harder difficulties easier (to my friends anyways).

My experiences are all based on the 360 btw, but so far the experiences are identical from what I've read.

Biggest issue with the Activision feud is until they start indiivdual instrument sales (Feb I believe is the current ETA) you won't be able to play 4 players unless a friend brings another RB guitar over, or you buy a 2nd RB pack.

Is this issue only on certain platforms?

Only for PS3.

You can use the GH controller (i prefer it actually) to play Rock Band on 360.

2 Wireless GH3 guitars + wired mic and wired drums = best Rock Band experience.

Inversely, I do not think the Rock Band Fender works for Guitar Hero on any system, but that's never really been an issue, the Rock Band guitar is the one with reliability issues partly due to craftmanship, and partly due to what avid GH fans are used to. The fret doesnt click so people aren't used to just trusting how far the strum downwards to hit a note.

Also, the Rock Band guitar has a set of extra frets on it for Guitar Solos, and you actually dont have to strum during solos i believe. This is not able to be done with GH guitars.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)