PS3 momentum takes off BABY!!

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
That's right, there is so much good news right now on the PS3 that in one day Sony's shares rose 3.7%. Bet you want some of that money!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6159788.html

Man, is this market fickel or what. The battery problem aside (what's up with that -- batteries exploding?) BS about the PS3 comes out and shares go down, the TRUTH comes out and in one day -- BAMM!! - all the way back and then some!:D

Last edited:
Still posting flame bait, eh? What good news on the PS3 are you talking about? The article says what we already know about it. The PS3 froze in TGS because of overheating in a controlled environment. Then Sony says that there is no overheating problem but still as of late never disproves the overheating problem at TGS.

Saying that is like the Iraqi Information Minister saying that the US is not invading Iraq as a M1A2 Abrams is rolling in the streets behind him in 2003. People beleiving that there is no overheating problem after what was seen at TGS is a complete moron.

If the good news you are talking about that the PS3 preorders sold out, then put that in perspective... If there are only 400k units for all of North America, that leaves roughly 30 units per store. If stores are only allowing 8-15 preorders, then of course they are going to sell out. Their stock rising could be rising because of their other products from Sony Electronics, Sony Pictures, Sony Music, Sony Online Entertainment, or Sony Computer Entertainment. Besides If you go look at the earnings report and the investor conference call it says Sony Ericsson had a record quarter. It so happens that those were posted on Oct 11 and 12. One day BEFORE the stock rose. In case you didn't know Sony Ericsson makes Cell Phones, NOT PS3s

So how do you come to the conclusion that it's because of the PS3 when according to Sony they are taking a loss on the consoles?

Still posting flame bait, eh? What good news on the PS3 are you talking about? The article says what we already know about it. The PS3 froze in TGS because of overheating in a controlled environment. Then Sony says that there is no overheating problem but still as of late never disproves the overheating problem at TGS.

Saying that is like the Iraqi Information Minister saying that the US is not invading Iraq as a M1A2 Abrams is rolling in the streets behind him in 2003. People beleiving that there is no overheating problem after what was seen at TGS is a complete moron.

Yup its flame bait posted by the Sony Minister of missinformation.

Yo ho ho -- a pirate I must be! Vurbano & Mikley28, you guys HAVE lost a marble! First, if you think that there will be NO problems with the PS3 when it comes out you are day dreaming. Will Sony stop production for 3 months like Microsoft did when their XBOX360 began to melt the DVDs in the drive? Nope. Is Sony shaking because of a few blips -- nope. Are things on track -- yep!

Lets see what the good news is. First, after M$ said it was not possible to do games in 1080p at E3 Sony at TGS showed off several games in 1080p. They were playable demos of games in 1080p. Guess Microsoft blew that one -- now they can do 1080p -- thru VGA only.

Next in the good news -- The PS3 will have HDMI 1.3 included in the $499 model.

Next in the good news department, several 1st gen games on the PS3 look better than 2nd gen games on the XBOX360. Now since the XBOX360 has been out a year they have considerably more titles releasing including a hot looking GOW -- however none in 1080p.

Next in the good news department, BluRay's not DEAD! In fact, November will see over 50 titles released some of them on the 50gb dual layer disc. That probably doesn't have anything to do with the PS3 though, huh Vurbano?

Sega reported that Sonic (not a great title but on both systems) looks better on the PS3 then the 360. Then a programmer states that originally the Cell CPU was also going to do the graphics in the PS3 untill Nvidia came along with the RSX. Then another progamming house states that games that will be out on both systems will look the same but the PS3 version will be brighter with more depth. Hmmmmm!

Twentyth Century Fox released this week that they have been testing their new BluRay titles including their 50gb releases on the PS3 and are very pleased with how the PS3 displays the BluRay picture.

The PS3 is now in production and the problem with the manufacturing of the blue diode for the BluRay drive has been solved and production of said diodes is ramping up.

Several magazines have reported not only sights of PS3 in their offices dominating everyones attention but also have reported on Sony's online service. Should be ready to go by launch here in the US. And guess what, FREE!!

GameStop/EB pre-sold all of their PS3 units in exactly 20 minutes!!! Bidding on one PS3 hit $1500 (someone is crazy!!) before E-Bay put a stop to the madness. Guess there are really gamers out there who want a PS3 -- not you Vurbano--right?

And finally, thanks to a little post from you Vurbano, you post that the new M$ HD-DVD drive can be used on a PC as it will be reqconized as a optical drive. Something about maybe playing HD-DVD movies on your PC. If that actually can be done you can also hook it up to the PS3. See the PS3 uses standard PC harddrives and has several USB ports. You can change to a bigger Hard drive or hook up a USB one and since Linux is a very open format there will be no problems using the M$ drive on the PS3 if one wants to view HD-DVD movies with their PS3. Someone will write the software.

Ironic huh Vurbano? There seems to be good news everywhere and you delivered some of it. Gee, Thanks!! :D

Last edited:
GameStop/EB pre-sold all of their PS3 units in exactly 20 minutes!!! Bidding on one PS3 hit $1500 (someone is crazy!!) before E-Bay put a stop to the madness.
Big whoop. Most Game Stops only had 2 to 5 units for pre sale.

I sat in line on Friday with some hard core gamers last friday in line for the WII, they are the ones who got a PS3 at our GameStop.

All of them said they have no plans at all to even open up the PS3, instead they are going to put them up on Ebay, they also all said they can wait to spring for when more PS3's become available because at launch there is really nothing coming out that these gamers feel is worth playing on a PS3.

Yes people will pay $1500 or more for a PS3, however the persons paying this much are not gamers (and probably dont even play video games) they are parents who want to get their snot nosed kid the big name gift for Christmas.

I like many others will wait and watch and then purchase a PS3 when it is something worth buying, at the moment it offers nothing that makes me go "ohhh, ahhh, I want one!"

Yo ho ho -- a pirate I must be! Vurbano & Mikley28, you guys HAVE lost a marble! First, if you think that there will be NO problems with the PS3 when it comes out you are day dreaming. Will Sony stop production for 3 months like Microsoft did when their XBOX360 began to melt the DVDs in the drive? Nope. Is Sony shaking because of a few blips -- nope. Are things on track -- yep!

Lets see what the good news is. First, after M$ said it was not possible to do games in 1080p at E3 Sony at TGS showed off several games in 1080p. They were playable demos of games in 1080p. Guess Microsoft blew that one -- now they can do 1080p -- thru VGA only.

Next in the good news department, several 1st gen games on the PS3 look better than 2nd gen games on the XBOX360. Now since the XBOX360 has been out a year they have considerably more titles releasing including a hot looking GOW -- however none in 1080p.

Next in the good news department, BluRay's not DEAD! In fact, November will see over 50 titles released some of them on the 50gb dual layer disc. That probably doesn't have anything to do with the PS3 though, huh Vurbano?

Sega reported that Sonic (not a great title but on both systems) looks better on the PS3 then the 360. Then a programmer states that originally the Cell CPU was also going to do the graphics in the PS3 untill Nvidia came along with the RSX. Then another progamming house states that games that will be out on both systems will look the same but the PS3 version will be brighter with more depth. Hmmmmm!

Twentyth Century Fox released this week that they have been testing their new BluRay titles including their 50gb releases on the PS3 and are very pleased with how the PS3 displays the BluRay picture.

The PS3 is now in production and the problem with the manufacturing of the blue diode for the BluRay drive has been solved and production of said diodes is ramping up.

Several magazines have reported not only sights of PS3 in their offices dominating everyones attention but also have reported on Sony's online service. Should be ready to go by launch here in the US. And guess what, FREE!!

GameStop/EB pre-sold all of their PS3 units in exactly 20 minutes!!! Bidding on one PS3 hit $1500 (someone is crazy!!) before E-Bay put a stop to the madness. Guess there are really gamers out there who want a PS3 -- not you Vurbano--right?

And finally, thanks to a little post from you Vurbano, you post that the new M$ HD-DVD drive can be used on a PC as it will be reqconized as a optical drive. Something about maybe playing HD-DVD movies on your PC. If that actually can be done you can also hook it up to the PS3. See the PS3 uses standard PC harddrives and has several USB ports. You can change to a bigger Hard drive or hook up a USB one and since Linux is a very open format there will be no problems using the M$ drive on the PS3 if one wants to view HD-DVD movies with their PS3. Someone will write the software.

Ironic huh Vurbano? There seems to be good news everywhere and you delivered some of it. Gee, Thanks!! :D

And I suppose you are planning on hooking up your 10,000 dollar speaker system to a game machine. :rolleyes:

the software for PC implementation hasnt been developed yet. But if it does work on the PS3 it will only sell more HD DVD's and let consumers compare crap BD PQ to superior HD DVD PQ. Its a wonderful idea though an HD DVD virus that PS3 owners can attach to their machines to in essence kill BluRRay :D

Last edited:
Scott, you must be wrong on that number. I live in Wake Forest, NC and the store here had 8 and I was told the that was the minimum for any Gamestop/EB store. So some had 8 and some had as many as 30. The manager stated that they were only preselling their first shipment. The next shipment would be online and in the door sales as they could not gaureentee exactly how many more they would receive.

Also, I hope they sell those PS3 real fast. Seems Sony is going to be able to deliver on their promise of more PS3s before XMAS. In fact, this time according to a source with Best Buy --- they expect to have PS3s on the shelf Thanksgiving weekend and again a few days ahead of XMAS. Got a simular story from a Walmart Manager. Now they could be blowing BS but you got to wonder?

Scott, I want the BluRay Drive. There are titles coming out only on BluRay that I want. While in San Francisco a week ago I went by the SonyStyle store and viewed the new Sony BluRay player with a new BluRay movie demo. All I got to say is it is hot. Okay, Okay! Not hot as in overheating1 Hot as in great picture and sound. And after 20th Century came out and said that the PS3 handled both 25gb and 50gb BluRay movies just fine I am excited. I also might buy a game or two.:)

Vurbano, once I purchase a HDMI 1.3 enabled receiver next spring (probably gonna cost me $2000 to 3000 dag gum it!) the PS3 will be a fully functioning BluRay player capable of DolbyTrueHD decoding out of the PS3 (gee does Toshiba's $499 HD-DVD drive do that yet?) and able to pass all HD codecs thru the HDMI 1.3 port to the receiver for processing.

I don't see the downside here. A fully fuctioning BluRay player and a next gen game maching. Doesn't seem like a bad combination to me.:D

Oh yeah -- the HD-DVD virus attacking the BluRay was really funny!:hatsoff:

Last edited:
Scott, you must be wrong on that number. I live in Wake Forest, NC and the store here had 8 and I was told the that was the minimum for any Gamestop/EB store. So some had 8 and some had as many as 30. The manager stated that they were only preselling their first shipment. The next shipment would be online and in the door sales as they could not gaureentee exactly how many more they would receive.

AFAIK it's utter BS. For example our GS stores here, in Park Slope, New York City area (one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the City, right aside of Prospect Park) got only 8 pieces as the guys told me when I was in line for Wii - and yes, Scott was right, guys next to me were the same ones who preordered PS3 and they said the same thing, they will sell it ass soon as they get it.
On the contrary Wii will be put in use by everybody who preordered the 36 units with me...

Last edited:
That's right, there is so much good news right now on the PS3 that in one day Sony's shares rose 3.7%. Bet you want some of that money!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6159788.html

Man, is this market fickel or what. The battery problem aside (what's up with that -- batteries exploding?) BS about the PS3 comes out and shares go down, the TRUTH comes out and in one day -- BAMM!! - all the way back and then some!:D

You obviously has no clue about stocks, Joe - take a look at 1-yr performance:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=SNE&t=1y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

In other words much ado for nothing...:rolleyes:

Scott, you must be wrong on that number. I live in Wake Forest, NC and the store here had 8 and I was told the that was the minimum for any Gamestop/EB store
Not wrong on that number, I had a talk with the manager about it, employees got first shot then what was left over went to the pre sale, ie our local store had 2 units, the other ones in the area had 2 - 5 units available.

BluRay could be cool if it worked, but I have seen BluRay and HDDVD side by side at CEDIA and the BluRay always looked soft and out of focus to me. By the specs of BluRay it should be kicking HDDVD's butt, however at the moment it's not. Let's hope Sony fixed its issues, and this is another reason why I will wait on the PS3.

First, if you think that there will be NO problems with the PS3 when it comes out you are day dreaming.

Never said that there will not be problems but coming from Sony's mouth (or yours for that matter) There is a major problem with it ovewrheating in a controlled environment which your uncle Ken won't acknowledge. MS admitted that there was a problem and are repairing the launch consoles made before 1/1/06 free of charge

Will Sony stop production for 3 months like Microsoft did when their XBOX360 began to melt the DVDs in the drive? Nope.

MS didn't stop production? Please cite your source for the mis information. If you look on a 360 and look at the manufactured date then you would see that there is no lapse in manufacturing.

Is Sony shaking because of a few blips -- nope. Are things on track -- yep!

From 1 million+ units in North america to 400k is a great example of being 'On Track', think again. I guess Blue diods being in short demand is another one of you r examples of being 'on-track'. Not to mention changing specs 6 weeks before release is sure to be "on track' Need any more examples?

Don't forget to mention that they FROZE! And there is NO STATEMENT ANYWHERE that says component cannot do 1080p. Please cite your source of misinformation. Besides they are making a 3rd party HDMI cable for the 360.

Let me tell you the better news!! Your HDMI 1.3 cable probably won't cost the $15 you are expecting. The jack is a different size. That means either a cable costing around $60 or adaptors and your current cable costing around $40. I think I might have posted something earlier stating as such about the different sized jack.

PLEASE name a 360 2nd gen game!! These games we have now were being developed for a year+ before the announcement of the 1080p update and before the announcement of the HD-DVD player. So how do you figure what is 1st gen and 2nd gen.

50GB of what? Most studios admitted that VERY FEW discs will go over 25GB. Not to mention that alot od those same discs will be available on HD DVD also. Sounds to me that some studios are switching camps.

Source?

Sorry to break it to you but see above, most discs will NOT exceed the 25 GB mark.

Source other than your uncle? He is already well know for the bait and switch technique.

Let me educate you on corporate doublespeak. XBL has 2 tiers of service Silver which is FREE and Gold which you pay for. On silver you can download demo's, updates, and pay for some games on XBL Arcade, and play MMOGs. The gold tier is the same with the exception of playing ALL multiplayer games. One you pay and one is FREE. Let me refer you to here... PS3 faq. Look at Number 13. "the online basic services" That statement alone gives them their loophole to start charging a number of months after release when they start losing money from their Broadband overhead.a T1 line costs thousands of dolars per month. A T3 is tens of thousands. Imagine Dedicated Fiber! How on earth are they going to fund that operation?

Not that hard to sell 8 prerorders for each store in 20 minutes. Yes there are some gamers out there that are die hard Sony fans like yourself.

And finally, thanks to a little post from you Vurbano, you post that the new M$ HD-DVD drive can be used on a PC as it will be reqconized as a optical drive. Something about maybe playing HD-DVD movies on your PC.

I haven't seen the article that said that. However it does make sense, PCs have been using external drives for ages.

If that actually can be done you can also hook it up to the PS3. See the PS3 uses standard PC harddrives and has several USB ports.

So does the 360, so what's your point? Connecting the HD DVD may be more difficult than you think.. How to we know that the firmware on the HD DVD drive won't have code in it that will only recognize a 360 or a PC runing WinXP or Vista? That could throw a bone into your plans there.

You can change to a bigger Hard drive or hook up a USB one

People have done that with the 360 and use the USB drive for storage only Wont save games but will store multimedia.

and since Linux is a very open format there will be no problems using the M$ drive on the PS3 if one wants to view HD-DVD movies with their PS3.

See above please. It's hard to believe that MS wont put some firmware code in the HD DVD drive so the drive wont work on anything other than a MS product. Plain common sense there. Not to mention as of now Linux is not a PNP OS so that means you will need drivers. And if someone changes the OS on the PS3 they void their warranty. So how do they plan on achieving this?

Someone will write the software.

Possibly but they need to get around MS firmware block if they put one in. And don't mind voiding their warranty. Gee I'd hate to see someone ruin their $600 console because they thought they could update the PS3 OS just so they can watch HD DVDs.

Ironic huh Vurbano? There seems to be good news everywhere and you delivered some of it. Gee, Thanks!! :D[/QUOTE]

Not really because you don't look at the big picture.

No Scott is correct on that number. Infact I think the Gamestop PR official says each store gets 8-16 Read here Gamestop Alot of stores may be conservative on the presales because they dont want to get into the mess they got into last year with the 360s That's just plain bad business.

Also, I hope they sell those PS3 real fast. Seems Sony is going to be able to deliver on their promise of more PS3s before XMAS.

Doubt it, with the blue diode shortage. They have a choice, put what little diodes they have into the PS3s or the Blu Ray players.

In fact, this time according to a source with Best Buy --- they expect to have PS3s on the shelf Thanksgiving weekend and again a few days ahead of XMAS. Got a simular story from a Walmart Manager. Now they could be blowing BS but you got to wonder?

I don't have to wonder, they are store managers, they will say anything to boost their sales around the holidays. IF they only got 2 or 3 units then I guess they wouldnt be lying because the PS3 would be on the shelf, technically. Sound familliar? Like maybe last year?

Scott, I want the BluRay Drive. There are titles coming out only on BluRay that I want. While in San Francisco a week ago I went by the SonyStyle store and viewed the new Sony BluRay player with a new BluRay movie demo. All I got to say is it is hot. Okay, Okay! Not hot as in overheating1 Hot as in great picture and sound. And after 20th Century came out and said that the PS3 handled both 25gb and 50gb BluRay movies just fine I am excited. I also might buy a game or two.:)[/QUOTE]

Good for you, I have seen both (not side by side) and notice VERY LITTLE difference. And with minimal diference you have to ask is it really worth the extra cost considering that BOTH HD DVD and BluRay will support 1080p and Dolby TrueHD and a very small number of discs will exceed the 25GB mark.

Vurbano, once I purchase a HDMI 1.3 enabled receiver next spring (probably gonna cost me $2000 to 3000 dag gum it!) the PS3 will be a fully functioning BluRay player capable of DolbyTrueHD decoding out of the PS3 (gee does Toshiba's $499 HD-DVD drive do that yet?) and able to pass all HD codecs thru the HDMI 1.3 port to the receiver for processing.

I don't see the downside here. A fully fuctioning BluRay player and a next gen game maching. Doesn't seem like a bad combination to me.:D

Oh yeah -- the HD-DVD virus attacking the BluRay was really funny!:hatsoff:
I see a huge downside. Running your home theater off of a game system :rolleyes:

You really are a strange bird Joe, $10,000 in audio equipment and you are gonna drive it with a PS3? LMFAO.

Last edited:
.a T1 line costs thousands of dolars per month. A T3 is tens of thousands. Imagine Dedicated Fiber!

Correction: T1 is around $400, a T3 aka DS-3 (28x T1) is around $4000-5000 per month. OTOH DS-3 is going out of fashion pretty fast because you can get dedicated sync 30Mbit FastEth and up from $2000 from local providers (like this offer in Manhattan.)

However it's highly unlikely Sony would want to build out its own network and maintain it - much more likely they will go with someone specialized content provider who already has its network with POPs in every bigger city and simply pay a monthly fee them instead.

Correction: T1 is around $400, a T3 aka DS-3 (28x T1) is around $4000-5000 per month. OTOH DS-3 is going out of fashion pretty fast because you can get dedicated sync 30Mbit FastEth and up from $2000 from local providers (like this offer in Manhattan.)

However it's highly unlikely Sony would want to build out its own network and maintain it - much more likely they will go with someone specialized content provider who already has its network with POPs in every bigger city and simply pay a monthly fee them instead.

Those prices have come down from 4 years ago. But the point was Sony is losing more money from their online service added to the loss from the PS3s. Even having someone else as a content provider they will probably have to pay a bigger price. In which Sony STILL takes a loss by offering a 100% free service with no way to bankroll the operation. So having a totally free service is probably unlikely.

Please,... BluRay IS the next Betamax. Superior storage space, but heavyhanded licensing (read that as royalty gouging of manufacturers and content providers as well as more restrictive copy and utility measures against the consumer), will restrict it out of the gate. It's more expensive for an inferior picture as far as hardware goes now (based on the standalone components performance and the initial batch of software releases), and the discs ONLY play in BluRay players, vs. HD DVD which can be taken and played on standard def players (ie. take it on the airplane with you) as well as the more pristine picture available on the hi def side when you get home.

Microsoft gets the best of both worlds with the 360... Faster access times with the standard def drive (you can probably go cook dinner in the time waiting for some load screens on some games on the PS3), and the availability of HiDef movies on the optional HD DVD player which is supported by a larger number of companies.

The PS3 will get headlines as the long lines and preorder mania will ensure sellouts until 2007. I think demand will drop off heavily in the new year as many teens can't scrape up $1000 for the PS3, controllers, and a game or two.

The real surprise should be the Wii which may lure those with smaller bank accounts. I expect them to do well as their components are less prone to shortages.. The gimmicky motion controllers may be a little goofy, but it will grab those looking for something new.

I think Sony is misestimating the number of HD sets in the marketplace. Most PS2s I've seen are hooked up to 25" and smaller standard def TV sets, so the whole 1080p thing may grab some tech headlines, but will not be really useful for a few years (read Home Theater magazine this month for a good article on the miniscule benefits of 1080i vs. 1080p based on current uses and program availability (ie. no cable, satellite, or OTA content in 1080p)).

Gee, you guys must have stock in M$. You get soooo upset. First, how can any of you say that Scotts numbers of 2 or 3 per store are correct and then say that managers have said that each store receive at least 8 to 16 units for presale? Oh yeah, M$ is very good at contradictions and misdirections -- VISTA anyone? Just one example.

Here, another little tidbit, if store employees are purchasing the PS3 they cannot resell it. If caught they will be looking for a new job--period! So if they preordered then the unit better be for them.

Those of you worring about me hooking up a PS3 to my Home Theater system should know that this is only for the time being until the HDMI 1.3 is available in a BluRay dedicated player. Little insider knowledge -- next leap after 1080p is a move to 24 and 30 bit LCDs and Plasmas--- within the next two years.
Also, anyone what to guess what bit resolution the new Toshiba SED's will deliver?

You will not be hooking up a BluRay drive to your XBOX360. Not anytime soon. And as for M$ putting something in the HD-DVD drive to prevent it from working on a Non M$ system -- can anyone spell --Congressional Investigation? Seems, both here in the states and in Europe M$ is under the gun for creating software blocks for other manufacturers software. They are being watched very closely, have already paid over 500m in fines and a current case in Europe could prevent M$ from selling Vista in Europe. I don't think M$ wants any more court dates right now.

As for the 50gb BluRay movies, there will be over 25 of them out by the end of the year. By next Summer most big titles will release on the dual layer BluRay. They are not having problems producing them right now.

As I have said before, componet can do 1080p the question is not can that signal be transfered but will a 1080p set receive a 1080 progressive signal over the componet input. Please list a few -- anyone? And before you start just typing go read you owner's manuel first?? Not saying there are none, but not many? In 2005 and the first part of 2006 almost every manufacturer brought out 1080p sets -- only 2 could receive a 1080p signal and then only over the HDMI connector. Seems most the new 1080p sets have the same requirements for 1080p!

What are you guys so worried about? So what if the PS3 has better graphics and better sound for their games? So what if they have a bigger disc storage for playback and gaming. So what if the PS3 actually turns out to be a decent product. There is only one bottom line -- just one and I have stated this over and over -- GAMES, GAMES, GAMES!! What do you want to play, how does it play, how much fun is it.

Is that it, you are afraid that the PS3 is going to be fun? You are afraid that the PS3 is going to overtake the XBOX360? You are afraid that Sony might succeed and actually make money?

What are you guys--COMMUNISTS!! Get a real life and lets talk about the positive things that the 360 does and what the PS3 can push the 360 to do and what the 360 can push the PS3 to do. Gee, you guys will shortly have the ability to do 1080p in gaming (although no titles out this year doing that) and that was after M$ said that "1080p in gaming could not be done!" You would not be getting that if the PS3 didn't have launch titles doing 1080p already!

Let's face it, you can BS about the PS3 and I will be glad to come in here in jack you around because it is so easy. Instead of seeing the positives of competition of next gen consoles (and the Wii does not fit this profile) you guys must be seeing doom in the near future for your beloved M$ XBOX360. Not gonna happen. The 360 is a very good gaming console. I had to face up to the fact that the XBOX was a better console then the PS2 hardware wise. This time around it is Sony that has the better product. Neither is perfect - together they will push each other to better gaming to get your gaming dollar. THIS IS A WIN-WIN SOLUTION FOR EVERY GAMER OUT THERE!

Finally, the reason that Betamax did not succeed is because the VHS group had more numbers in manufacturers and movie studios. Sony is not as stupid as everyone thinks they are -- those same numbers are reversed this time in the BluRay camps favor. And wait till you see the new prices on the new HD-DVD drives coming out next year. Hint, those prices are not going to be under $500.

So who cares, I will do with my PS3 what I did with my PS2. Use it for movies until a player comes out that is virtually perfect at a good price. My current DVD is a Denon 3910. Can anyone here understand how this works. You buy the HD-A1 for $499 to play HD-DVD movies, I purchase a PS3 for BluRay movies and I get next gen gaming too -- for only $100 more. I don't believe I am the only one looking at the PS3 this way. And besides, someone has to be crazy enough to go against the grain and call you guys to the carpet when your 'Sony is Falling, Sony is Falling' BS. They are no more hurting then M$ is with the lawsuits it encounters on a day to day basis. Ah, the price of doing business.

Last edited:
Gee, you guys must have stock in M$. You get soooo upset. First, how can any of you say that Scotts numbers of 2 or 3 per store are correct and then say that managers have said that each store receive at least 8 to 16 units for presale? Oh yeah, M$ is very good at contradictions and misdirections -- VISTA anyone? Just one example.
I don't own any stock like you own Sony stock. Otherwise you probably wouldnt have brought up this off topic thread and try to qualify it by adding PS3 into the title. NO ONE said 2 to 3. They said 8 to 15. SOME stores were limiting the preorder because they arent guaranteed the quantity that they may or not be getting. Like I said, its bad business preselling something and not being able to deliver. Because in life SH** happens.

Here, another little tidbit, if store employees are purchasing the PS3 they cannot resell it. If caught they will be looking for a new job--period! So if they preordered then the unit better be for them.
How do you know this? Do you know how hard it is to prove that someone resold it on ebay? The company would lose millions in legal fees to get warrants for ebay to release information.

Those of you worring about me hooking up a PS3 to my Home Theater system should know that this is only for the time being until the HDMI 1.3 is available in a BluRay dedicated player. Little insider knowledge -- next leap after 1080p is a move to 24 and 30 bit LCDs and Plasmas--- within the next two years.
Also, anyone what to guess what bit resolution the new Toshiba SED's will deliver?
What part of "There are NO HDMI 1.3 TVs or AVRs yet" do you not understand? So what's the use in buying the PS3 for the HDMI 1.3? We are just starting to get 1080i television sets into homes now. WHAT on God's gree earth makes you think that we are ready for the leap after 1080p in 2 years? Please, not everyone has a million dollar a year job and/or the amount of Sony stock you have Joe.

You will not be hooking up a BluRay drive to your XBOX360. Not anytime soon. And as for M$ putting something in the HD-DVD drive to prevent it from working on a Non M$ system -- can anyone spell --Congressional Investigation? Seems, both here in the states and in Europe M$ is under the gun for creating software blocks for other manufacturers software. They are being watched very closely, have already paid over 500m in fines and a current case in Europe could prevent M$ from selling Vista in Europe. I don't think M$ wants any more court dates right now.
There are software blocks on everything else. There are blocks on cellphones that dont allow you to use them on other networks. Do you see Verizon getting sued because no one can't use the LG Chocolate on Cingular or Sprint? Besides it would take years before it even gets to court, by then the drives will be internal, a next gen dvd war would probably have a standard where none of this crap would matter. Congressional Investigation would not matter. 500M in fines is nothing to a multibillion dollar company. I doubt they would really care.

As for the 50gb BluRay movies, there will be over 25 of them out by the end of the year. By next Summer most big titles will release on the dual layer BluRay. They are not having problems producing them right now.
Please, which ones? Movie companies already admitted that that VERY few movies will be over the 25GB mark. So if you have more information please, by all means site your source. Now write these next words down please. As of now, ALL of Sony's BluRay Disc are less than 25GB. Incase you dont understand, let me break it down for you.... ZERO dual layer discs. 50Gb is a theoretical limit where 30GB HD DVD is proven. Not to mention that they are rumored to be working on a 45 GB triple layer disc, but like I said, that is rumor and I will beleive it when I see it.

As I have said before, componet can do 1080p the question is not can that signal be transfered but will a 1080p set receive a 1080 progressive signal over the componet input. Please list a few -- anyone? And before you start just typing go read you owner's manuel first?? Not saying there are none, but not many? In 2005 and the first part of 2006 almost every manufacturer brought out 1080p sets -- only 2 could receive a 1080p signal and then only over the HDMI connector. Seems most the new 1080p sets have the same requirements for 1080p!
That's pretty funny, you talk about spelling Congressional Investigation yet you cant spell "manuAl" But anyway, let me get back to you on which televisions... My roommate is a ISF calibrator. He should be able to tell me which ones.

What are you guys so worried about? So what if the PS3 has better graphics and better sound for their games? So what if they have a bigger disc storage for playback and gaming. So what if the PS3 actually turns out to be a decent product. There is only one bottom line -- just one and I have stated this over and over -- GAMES, GAMES, GAMES!! What do you want to play, how does it play, how much fun is it.
I'm not worried about anything. Graphics will probably be about the same to alot of people out there now since they have their consoles hooked up to a 30" tv or less. Who cares about the bigger disc storage? As T2K and I stated time and time again, THERE NO GAMES THAT FILL DVD9. I want to play play play my games not watch watch watch them. Giving game developers more space gives them the space to make a crappy game with tons of CGI and little game content where someone can fly through the game in about 6 to 8 hours.

Is that it, you are afraid that the PS3 is going to be fun? No You are afraid that the PS3 is going to overtake the XBOX360? NoYou are afraid that Sony might succeed and actually make money? No and Doubt they will mank anything before their next console comes out IF they still plan on offering their free online service which I doubt will stay free. Lets break this one down for you also... Loss from PS3 + Loss from free service = HUGE loss. How do you see them making money in the next 3 years?

What are you guys--COMMUNISTS!! Get a real life and lets talk about the positive things that the 360 does and what the PS3 can push the 360 to do and what the 360 can push the PS3 to do. Gee, you guys will shortly have the ability to do 1080p in gaming (although no titles out this year doing that) and that was after M$ said that "1080p in gaming could not be done!" You would not be getting that if the PS3 didn't have launch titles doing 1080p already!
Whoa, easy there on the communist part. Nice going with the personal attacks. Be careful not to get yourself banned. Can you even define communist without using the dictionary? How does that fit here. Communists are people who support a community. Break the word down, I THINK you can do it!! Technically we all support the SatelliteGuys COMMUNITY, so I guess we all can be called communists. But that's straying form the topic. Get this right now... its not because of the 1080p PS3 games, it was because of the HD DVD player. I think you are just mad because NO ONE really agrees with your Sony Marketing.

Let's face it, you can BS about the PS3 and I will be glad to come in here in jack you around because it is so easy.
Soooo let me get this straight. What this statement seems to say is that you are intentionally posting to incite flame wars? Like i said before, be careful there junior. You dont want to shoot yourself in the foot.

Instead of seeing the positives of competition of next gen consoles (and the Wii does not fit this profile) you guys must be seeing doom in the near future for your beloved M$ XBOX360.
Being that there were a few million sold to date, No, I don't.

Not gonna happen. The 360 is a very good gaming console. I had to face up to the fact that the XBOX was a better console then the PS2 hardware wise. This time around it is Sony that has the better product. Neither is perfect - together they will push each other to better gaming to get your gaming dollar. THIS IS A WIN-WIN SOLUTION FOR EVERY GAMER OUT THERE!
Yes but a BluRay HD DVD war isnt the way to do it. Its up to the game developers. Right now, BluRay/HD DVD is just a bonus to gamers it's not needed for GAMES right now.

Finally, the reason that Betamax did not succeed is because the VHS group had more numbers in manufacturers and movie studios. Sony is not as stupid as everyone thinks they are -- those same numbers are reversed this time in the BluRay camps favor. And wait till you see the new prices on the new HD-DVD drives coming out next year. Hint, those prices are not going to be under $500.

I beg to differ on how stupid Sony is. How many times did they promote their own technology and fail? The bottom line is that its not up to these consortiums to decide what consumers want. It's the consumers. They want something practical and affordable. BluRay just isnt it right now. The new HD DVD players may not be under $500 but they certainly won't be $1000.

So who cares, I will do with my PS3 what I did with my PS2. Use it for movies until a player comes out that is virtually perfect at a good price. My current DVD is a Denon 3910. Can anyone here understand how this works. You buy the HD-A1 for $499 to play HD-DVD movies, I purchase a PS3 for BluRay movies and I get next gen gaming too -- for only $100 more. I don't believe I am the only one looking at the PS3 this way. And besides, someone has to be crazy enough to go against the grain and call you guys to the carpet when your 'Sony is Falling, Sony is Falling' BS. They are no more hurting then M$ is with the lawsuits it encounters on a day to day basis. Ah, the price of doing business.[/QUOTE]
I do understand how it works but I don't care. Gamers DONT CARE about blue ray or HD DVD. So $700 for a gaming console is not practical to play games. Yes I did say $700. Include tax and your HDMI 1.3 cable which probably won't be the $15 you are expecting. And its not you going against the grain, its your Sony marketing campaign that we see day in and day out. We get it and understand, you don't like the 360. Why bring it up time and time again?

If you are going to promote the PS3 as a cheap BluRay player (like your last paragraph sounds) then do it in another forum and talk about games in this one. Gamers DO NOT CARE about BluRay movie capabilities, BluRay and HD DVD are just a bonus. So if you look at it from a gamer's point of view then you would see that $700 to play games in HD is not practical when you can play games in HD for about $450 which DOES include component cables by the way.

So please STOP with the Sony BluRay Marketing campaign here. And no I'm not promoting the 360, I'm just dispelling all the myths that spew out of your fingers when you post. l like the title of this thread for example.

Is that it, you are afraid that the PS3 is going to be fun? You are afraid that the PS3 is going to overtake the XBOX360? You are afraid that Sony might succeed and actually make money?

Let's face it, you can BS about the PS3 and I will be glad to come in here in jack you around because it is so easy. Instead of seeing the positives of competition of next gen consoles (and the Wii does not fit this profile) you guys must be seeing doom in the near future for your beloved M$ XBOX360. Not gonna happen. The 360 is a very good gaming console. I had to face up to the fact that the XBOX was a better console then the PS2 hardware wise. This time around it is Sony that has the better product. Neither is perfect - together they will push each other to better gaming to get your gaming dollar. THIS IS A WIN-WIN SOLUTION FOR EVERY GAMER OUT THERE!

So who cares, I will do with my PS3 what I did with my PS2. Use it for movies until a player comes out that is virtually perfect at a good price. My current DVD is a Denon 3910. Can anyone here understand how this works. You buy the HD-A1 for $499 to play HD-DVD movies, I purchase a PS3 for BluRay movies and I get next gen gaming too -- for only $100 more. I don't believe I am the only one looking at the PS3 this way. And besides, someone has to be crazy enough to go against the grain and call you guys to the carpet when your 'Sony is Falling, Sony is Falling' BS. They are no more hurting then M$ is with the lawsuits it encounters on a day to day basis. Ah, the price of doing business.

I 100% agree with you. What I don't understand is how the people here at SatGuys got so good at turning people words around. WOW. I might be at VT but I need to go to the college you guys went to . I mean, DAMN, there is a rebuttal to everything. Do I hear "source?" anyone. How about you provide one. Um "Click", does that ring any bells, maybe a 50GB bluray.

Honestly I look at these posts and laugh. I obviously support Blu-ray, but if HD-DVD has a movie out that I want I'm going to buy the damn thing. You guys seem hell bent on supporting one thing and not giving the other a chance. I'll even agree that right now HDDVD is winning the war, but Blu-ray does not suck by any means.

And just like JoeSp, I have an Oppo up-converting DVD player, but my first DVD player was a PS2, and it looked amazing to me at that time. Today it looks like crap, but thats the advancement in technology and a wonderful Faroudja chip as well as other things.

I'm a bit confused about what to write, because I know whatever I say will get thrown back in my face, so I think I'll end it here. After all you guys are the best at this arguing business, while I superiorly suck at it. But please keep writing because it's quite funny.

Acutally, I think I'm going to do the rebuttal deal that Mikley did above for practice after my economics test tomorrow, which i should be studying for right now. Then the game will really start. With time I can push some buttons, trust me, and the good thing about the internet is NO IMPROV.

cheers

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)