PS3 momentum takes off BABY!!

bmer

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 22, 2006
I work for a living and have a family so as far as I am concerned Sony has lost their minds. What they are asking is a car payment, a movie out with the family, my first born son, and a body part or two to pay for their system. I will just get the Wii and have fun.

mikley28

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 12, 2005
San Leandro, CA
The true progression of gaming has gone from the original Ultima for the PC on 10 5.25 discs to gaming posisbilities using the space available on a high definition disc. Notice here I did not say which HD disc.

The bottom line is that when programmers are given anything they are going to use it -- wheather that is memory, CPU speed, cache, Graphic GPU's , graphic memory , hard drive space, intial storage space on a CD, DVD or high def disc.

The programmers will use whatever is available to them. So lets see, a DVD-9 can hold what -- 9gb ? and a BluRay can hold 25 GB. So that would be 3 DVD's to one BluRay. Gets interesting when we double BluRay to 50 gb as that would be 9 DVD's. So I can see how that would get most gamers dander up if one said (like I believe Sony has) that in order to do true HD gaming you would really need a High Def delivery system like BluRay.

But can this possible be right? If we look at the CD to DVD transistion you would see 470mb to 9gb! So we would be talking 18 discs to one DVD-9! Well it did not take long for the programmers to blow right by the CD limit. Why can no one here see that in a year or two some programmers will blow right by the DVD-9 limit? It is going to happen sooner or latter. The game will have better graphics, textures, aninmation, sound, play mechanics, high resolutions, less repetition that are being seen in too many games right now.

Just because M$ says that you don't need it does not neccessarily make that the truth. Just because Sony says you need it right now does not neccessarily make it the truth.

But if history is telling us anything, games will get bigger, longer and better looking and that is going to use more disc space for delivery. That is just the nature of gaming -- whether it happens now or latter is moot. It will happen and right now the PS3 is designed for longer use then the XBOX360 in this current gamming generation. Whether that pans out will depend on the programmers and the people who buy their games -- the customer.

Come on dude, lets be honest. We have just recently started using DVD media for games. We were using CD media for at least 6 years. Space utilization isnt moving as fast as you think it is. I don't even think HD DVD is needed for games.

RIGHT NOW there are very few games breaking 4.5gb. With FEAR for the PC at 4.2 GB (not breaking but close), Act of War Direct action for the PC was 5.2 GB but has ALOT of FMV Cutscenes.. And for the 360 you have Oblivion clocking in at 6.4GB, Just cause in at 6GB WITH 3 spoken languages and both games will keep you busy for days WITH HD Graphics and 3 spoken languages in Just Cause.

Needing that much space will definately happen but definately not now. I also think if Sony would have made the BluRay Drive as an add on, it would probably sell way more consoles than it will currently because it would lower the price greatly since the drive alone is reported to cost Sony $300 which so happens to be 1/2 the price of the console. If they did make it an add on I don't think there would be as much "Sony hate" as there is now on other gamer sites.

So let me shorten it to Joe speak... so he gets the main points without having to read...

-We have been using CD media for games for at least 6 years.
-Games using the most disc space are sandbox games 1 having 3 spoken languages.
-Sony could have sold far more consoles by making the BD player an addon threfore keeping costs down. Last time I checked, from a business perspective, selling more is good.
- BD Drive is reported to be costing Sony $300 each which is 1/2 the price of the PS3.​
- Keeps the console affordable to more people and reduce the "Sony Hate" not only here but other gaming sites.​

s8ist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 26, 2006
Seems I remember when Nintendo was trying to convince everybody that there was plenty of room in their cartridges for games. How'd that work out.

8MB cartridge versus 650MB-700MB Discs...
that means low-spec N64 carts were 1% the size of PS1 media. This hardly compares with the 360/PS3 situation where the DVD-9 spec would be (even held to the hypothetical standard) 18% of 50GB discs. More than likely though, they will be around 36% the size of a 25GB disc. This again assumes the developer will use the full capacity of the disc, and not load it with MPEG-2 video files (which would be more convenient than using Blu-Ray spec VC-1 or h.264 video but also take up more space). While compression means more work for the developer, it can produce favorable results(i.e. comparable quality) for lower capacity mediums. If you don't believe me, compare MPEG-4 video files that use MPEG-2 as their source. You'll find there are DIVX files that are encoded so well, that they are virtually indistinguishable from the source, and capable of being put on 1-2 CD-R's as opposed to a full 4-9GB disc. The gap is much more negligible in this case. Sound, video, and texture compression are all feasible avenues to fill the gap. Note that I'm not saying the PS3 isn't capable of outperforming the 360, but the storage issue alone does not make the most compelling case for graphical superiority.

Seems I remember that when the PS2 came out with a DVD player Sega as saying that there was plenty of room on their CDs for game content. How'd that work out?
Sega didn't use CD's. They used GD-Roms which held 1GB of space per disc. The music was often compressed, though this was not noticeable. The discs also held movies and other content. Multi-disc games were an option for the developer as well. Some of the best games came out for the Dreamcast (Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2, Marvel VS Capcom, Capcom VS SNK 1 & 2, THPS2, Jet Grind Radio, Powerstone, Rez, Evil Twin, Rayman 2) despite that Sony ultimately won out because their base was devoted to the platform before the PS2 even came out. Most people I know didn't depend on the PS2 to play their DVD's. The output was dark and colors looked washed. Piracy may have also done Sega in when pirates realized an exploit in the DC that allowed the system to boot game executables off CD-R's by tricking the laser into thinking it was reading the boot sector of a GD-ROM, without the need of a modchip.

So now it is M$ saying there is plenty of room on DVD9 for game content. Anyone here see a pattern developing?:rolleyes:
BetaMax, MiniDisc, exploding laptop batteries, rootkits... I see a pattern there too. But that doesn't mean PS3 won't reign supreme in the console war. I'm sure brand loyalty will ensure this. Sony's flock is everywhere including the guys at Best Buy who unanimously support the BD standard. I'm just saying that before we all decide to hand our wallets over to Sony for both our gaming and movie entertainment, we reanalyze our position. Sony won the console war of PS2/GC/XBOX not because they had the best hardware, but because they had a great library of software. Yet its programmers were still capable of churning out exclusive next-gen titles with fancy graphics even though its first round of titles (some of which were DC ports) ended up being graphically comparable in some respects to the Dreamcast.

Last edited:

T2k

The Raw Nerve
Supporting Founder
Jun 5, 2004
Park Slope, NYC
I work for a living and have a family so as far as I am concerned Sony has lost their minds. What they are asking is a car payment, a movie out with the family, my first born son, and a body part or two to pay for their system. I will just get the Wii and have fun.

I second this. I'm in the lucky position that I could afford any of these (heck, even all of these) but only Wii will make it to my living room. PS3 is not only doesn't offer anything over my PC - that's true for 360 as well - but it's crazy overpriced as well.
Wii, on the contrary, comes with a new invention, its brand new control system - and the icing on the cake is its very reasonable price. Hey, for $250 probably I'd pick up one anyway...

T2k

The Raw Nerve
Supporting Founder
Jun 5, 2004
Park Slope, NYC
Come on dude, lets be honest. We have just recently started using DVD media for games. We were using CD media for at least 6 years. Space utilization isnt moving as fast as you think it is. I don't even think HD DVD is needed for games.

RIGHT NOW there are very few games breaking 4.5gb. With FEAR for the PC at 4.2 GB (not breaking but close), Act of War Direct action for the PC was 5.2 GB but has ALOT of FMV Cutscenes.. And for the 360 you have Oblivion clocking in at 6.4GB, Just cause in at 6GB WITH 3 spoken languages and both games will keep you busy for days WITH HD Graphics and 3 spoken languages in Just Cause.

And let's not mention that all of these easily fit on a single-sided dual-layer DVD9 disc...

BobMurdoch

Playing XBoxOne SeriesX/Supporter
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
New troubles for Sony. A few of their 1080p XBR TVs won't accept a 1080p signal via component,.... so all those XBox 360 owners who thought they were getting 1080p thanks to the new fall update are now looking at black screens. Lucky ones who bought new TVs yesterday and in the next few weeks will get to return them....

Bravo Sony. Way to embrace the piracy paranoia. You've proven once again that the consumer will always come second when it comes to consumer usability vs. the anti copying goons.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)