PS3 not tied to BD regional coding!

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Seems if you have a PS3 you can play a BD from anywhere!

Playstation 3 Secrets

An excerpt from the above posting:

For Blu-ray video, the discs are divided into three (A, B, or C) main regions which must match the region of your PS3 for playback. The initial Blu-ray discs that were released supported region codes, but were not enforced, so a PS3 can play Blu-ray discs from any region (this might change in the future).

I don't know if this means the PS3 is not being forced to comply or if the BD movies is not forcing the region coding currently. Does not say if other BD standalones can do the same.

Either way this puts a another notch in the PS3 belt -- the best HDM disc player on the market!:)

Not all BD discs are region coded. Perhaps the original author hasn't tried some of these discs. Here is a list of BDs with region coding and whether or not they will work on a Region A or B player.

Blu-Ray Region Code Info

S~

Don't worry, once Sony gets ahold of this info, the fix will be in the next firmware release. :)

I suspect the author used a non-region encoded disc from overseas, and said "oh look, no region encoding on the PS3".

Personally, I haven't tried playing an import Blu-ray, so I can't say. Can anyone here confirm this?

-John

I bought next on blu ray and its region B encoded. Plays perfectly on my ps3
North America is region A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts