PS3 or stand-alone Blu-Ray player?

JEFFinINDY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
I want to buy a Blu-Ray player, and it seems that the PS3 is about the best there is. However, some reviews say that the PS3 is not quite up to the same level as stand-alone players in terms of image quality and features.

I won't be playing many, if any video games - I just want a fast and high-quality Blu-Ray player. Is the PS3 the way to go? If I'm not a big gamer and I won't be using the PS3 for my digital pictures or music, is the 40G version good enough or does the 80G have other advantages?

Or, should I wait for some of the new CES hardware to hit the shelves?

Thanks!

Jeff

You might want to check out this hugh thread on the subject, One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 395 - AVS Forum

I have two PS/3, a 60GB and 80GB. I did have a 40GB but swapped it for the 80GB for the media card ports and the SACD support. They are used 95% of the time for movie playback. Other times I use them for music/JPEG2 access from a server on my network.

I want to buy a Blu-Ray player, and it seems that the PS3 is about the best there is. However, some reviews say that the PS3 is not quite up to the same level as stand-alone players in terms of image quality and features.

I won't be playing many, if any video games - I just want a fast and high-quality Blu-Ray player. Is the PS3 the way to go? If I'm not a big gamer and I won't be using the PS3 for my digital pictures or music, is the 40G version good enough or does the 80G have other advantages?

Thanks!

Jeff

Its really up to you if you want to spend the extra money..
I personally would pick up the PS3, its cheaper, and its great, whoever its saying the PQ on the PS3 is not sub-par to the standalone BR players is wrong.
The nice thing about the PS3 is you get the firmware updates right away when they are out. PS3 does a great job on supporting blu-ray updates whenever they are out.

Owner of a launch date PS3 60GB.

I personally would pick up the PS3, its cheaper, and its great, whoever its saying the PQ on the PS3 is not sub-par to the standalone BR players is wrong.
The nice thing about the PS3 is you get the firmware updates right away when they are out. PS3 does a great job on supporting blu-ray updates whenever they are out.

Ditto

+1

With stanalones you can use a universal remote. The new ones will decode the HD audio and send it bitstream (PS3 will decode most but won't send it bitstream for the new recievers to decode) or you can use the 5.1 analog out to an older reciever. Firmware updates seem pretty good. Probably quieter then the PS3 (which apparently sounds like a jumbo jet taking off). Probably cheaper also.

Agreed. I have the 40GB model. I'm very happy with its capabilities. It should be upgradable to profile 2.0. I'll prefer to wait for a multi-disc BD player in my future.

Thanks!

Jeff
Study all of them carefully. BD is such a screwed up format that all other players have different capabilities and prices. Look for something that is profile 2.0 compliant and not the older inferior 1.1 or 1.0 profile.

Study all of them carefully. BD is such a screwed up format that all other players have different capabilities and prices. Look for something that is profile 2.0 compliant and not the older inferior 1.1 or 1.0 profile.
The only advantage of 2.0 is a mandatory ethernet connection so you can get online content that will be available with some movies.

Thanks!

Jeff

As a 60 gig PS3 owner since January 2007 and being a non-gamer myself (although my college attending son thought I should own Tiger Woods PGA 2007, so subsequently received it as a gift) I can tell you I am very pleased with my purchase.
At the time of my purchase, there was little to compare with, but looking back I'm glad because I feel this is the most future proof piece of electronics I have ever owned.
I own four BD disks and have rented dozens from Netflix and It plays them all flawlessly. It loads very fast, is quiet, and to my jaundiced eye looks excellent on my native 1080P LCD.
I, as you, did not think I would use the media slots but It is pretty cool sitting on the couch and viewing pictures with family and friends on a 40" screen using the remote.
The wireless connectivity is a bonus for me as the router and computers are upstairs.
I am very hopeful that the PS3 will have a DTS-MA firmware upgrade in the near future, which for me would make this the most complete, bang for the buck full featured BLU-RAY player ever. And I think In time It will evolve even further.
I apologize for the long post but I wanted to point out some of the unique features of the PS3 that maybe you had not researched yet or maybe not considered.
If there was one one change I could make, it would be to design the external case like a traditional stand alone player but It's no big deal to me.
Good luck in your search:D

I have nothing more to add, these guys summed it up.

Id also recommend the 80 if you can swing it, im using my hdd space for storing mp3's and pictures :).

The PS3 is 1.1 profile now, and by all accounts will be updated to 2.0. Its a great investment and has very fast load times.

Again with the profile sh*&...Do you even read the questions?

"I won't be playing many, if any video games - I just want a fast and high-quality Blu-Ray player. Is the PS3 the way to go? If I'm not a big gamer and I won't be using the PS3 for my digital pictures or music, is the 40G version good enough or does the 80G have other advantages??

They just want a good DB player. Didn't say surf the web or I want a pip the hole time Im watching a movie.

One more thing worth mentioning. You'll probably want to buy $25 BD remote if you are using it primarily as a BD player. You can find it on sale for cheaper or there are a couple of knock offs. Worth every penny, IMO.

You're putting words in his/her mouth. OP never said that. I think a good player would be future proff. True, vurbano was trying to bash Blu but it's important to know the differences.

I understand exactly what they want...the comparison is a standalone or ps3. They want to make sure the ps3 has the same picture quality. Just because a player isnt profile 1.1 or 2.0 doesnt mean it's not future proof.
It will perform the same functions now that it will in the future. it just wont be able to get the pip and internet.

I have nothing more to add, these guys summed it up.

Id also recommend the 80 if you can swing it, im using my hdd space for storing mp3's and pictures :).

The PS3 is 1.1 profile now, and by all accounts will be updated to 2.0. Its a great investment and has very fast load times.

Well, I picked up a 40G version tonight (used that extra $100 for a few movies and the Bluetooth remote control), hooked it all up via HDMI to my Onkyo TX-SR674, and all I can say is WOW. I'm watching Pan's Labyrinth and the video quality AND audio quality are outstanding.

The PS3 is truly an impressive piece of electronics!

Thanks all for your advice and comments...

Jeff

Well, I picked up a 40G version tonight (used that extra $100 for a few movies and the Bluetooth remote control), hooked it all up via HDMI to my Onkyo TX-SR674, and all I can say is WOW. I'm watching Pan's Labyrinth and the video quality AND audio quality are outstanding.

The PS3 is truly an impressive piece of electronics!

Thanks all for your advice and comments...

Jeff

Glad things are working out for you Jeff, also if you are planning to buy more movies you should check out amazon.com their prices are decent, and they give bogo's aka Buy One Get one Free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)