PS3 or stand-alone Blu-Ray player?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Another vote for the PS3. Also, a free PS3 BT remote can be obtained via the rebate form inside the PS3 40GB...just need to buy two select Blu-Ray discs by 2/29 and mail the form. I picked up a free remote in the past from Best Buy...once again, just buy two BDs from the list. Also, there were a few retailers that offered a free PS3 remote with the purchase of a PS3. The BT remote is a must for BD.

is there a website with a printable version for the free blu ray remote offer. i didnt look at the inserts form the box except for the registration form and owners manuals. Threw the rest out without looking first(very stupid thing to do).

is there a website with a printable version for the free blu ray remote offer. i didnt look at the inserts form the box except for the registration form and owners manuals. Threw the rest out without looking first(very stupid thing to do).

You can get it from CCity, BBuy or the manufacturer website.

Another vote for the PS3. Also, a free PS3 BT remote can be obtained via the rebate form inside the PS3 40GB...just need to buy two select Blu-Ray discs by 2/29 and mail the form. I picked up a free remote in the past from Best Buy...once again, just buy two BDs from the list. Also, there were a few retailers that offered a free PS3 remote with the purchase of a PS3. The BT remote is a must for BD.
I picked up the NYKO remote with usb adapter for 10 dollars and programmed it into my Harmony 880

Again with the profile sh*&...Do you even read the questions?

"I won't be playing many, if any video games - I just want a fast and high-quality Blu-Ray player. Is the PS3 the way to go? If I'm not a big gamer and I won't be using the PS3 for my digital pictures or music, is the 40G version good enough or does the 80G have other advantages??

They just want a good DB player. Didn't say surf the web or I want a pip the hole time Im watching a movie.
The secret to buying AV equipment is not to only be happy at the time of purchase but also years from now. The PS3 is his best shot based on price and features. I still havent seen anything faster.

FWIW I finally took the plunge and did so through the PS 3. I agree with others that a BT remote is essential for use as a BD player. My kids however would challenge that.

For me the clincher was that I have a much greater probability of updating a PS 3 than other players and it can always be used for games.

I have noticed that it is a bit finicky on playback of low qaulity DVDs. I am an MPAA member and while a few players had problems with the Sweeney Todd disc I was sent the PS 3 simply locked up when it hit a scene that caused all kinds of audio and video problems on other players but that they were able to get past.

FWIW I finally took the plunge and did so through the PS 3. I agree with others that a BT remote is essential for use as a BD player. My kids however would challenge that.

For me the clincher was that I have a much greater probability of updating a PS 3 than other players and it can always be used for games.

I have noticed that it is a bit finicky on playback of low qaulity DVDs. I am an MPAA member and while a few players had problems with the Sweeney Todd disc I was sent the PS 3 simply locked up when it hit a scene that caused all kinds of audio and video problems on other players but that they were able to get past.
You need this: Nyko 83040 Blu Wave Remote For Ps3 - SHOP.COM
Makes your PS3 IR capable. I found it very frustrating trying to use fast forward and rewind with a PS3 controller.

Makes your PS3 IR capable. I found it very frustrating trying to use fast forward and rewind with a PS3 controller.[/QUOTE

Thanks! While I had heard that something like this existed i was really only considering the Sony BT remote. But this would allow me to program a universal remote which isa big plus. The only negatives would seem to be that it ties upa USB port and does not have all the game related buttons. But just as I can't see using a game controller to control a DVD player I can't see usinga remote to play games.

Makes your PS3 IR capable. I found it very frustrating trying to use fast forward and rewind with a PS3 controller.[/QUOTE

Thanks! While I had heard that something like this existed i was really only considering the Sony BT remote. But this would allow me to program a universal remote which isa big plus. The only negatives would seem to be that it ties upa USB port and does not have all the game related buttons. But just as I can't see using a game controller to control a DVD player I can't see usinga remote to play games.
It has all the basic functions except on and off, but hey I have to get up to put a disc in anyway and to take it out. Have to be ultra lazy to complain about putting a finger on a button considering that. As far as game buttons go, like you, I never would think of playing a PS3 game with a remote anyway. Yes it does tie up a USB port but what are you using them for anyway? Other devices can be bluetooth like keyboards and headsets and controllers. Plus the Sony BT remote is RIDICULOUSLY large.

I agfee it seems like a wise choice. There are tradeoffs but the net is a plus. I do have a USB keyboard that was helpful at setup and would be good for web surfing but I don't see using the PS3 for web surfing. The only time I can see using it would be for downloads and in that event it would be easy enough to plug it in. thee would be no need to use botht the remote and the keyboard at the same time and even if there were even the 40 GB PS 3 has two USB ports.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)