PS3 Price Drop $100?

Well there are conflicting articles out, but I would bet on the price drop...

Sony: No Plans to Cut PS3 Prices . . Sony denying any price cuts...

Well, there you have it - if the President of Sony says no plans to cut the price, you can count on a price cut. ;)

ps3_price_cut_2.jpg

I can already here Monday morning's newspaper accounts after the CC ad hits" "As we said, we have no plans to cur the price of the PS3. We are, however, offering special "incentives" to our valued retail partners . . . "
:D

Another possibility is that they will run "incentives" for a while before they actually drop the price. But, once the cat is out of the bag it is really hard to round it up and get it to stay back in there.

The only thing that has been confirmed is that Circuit City is running a $100 off sale for one week.

That is being discussed in the Gaming forum.

Thanks. Why is the Game Console so far up there in the forums? I forget to check that section as it has The Pit & other forums that don't interest me. And, while I own a PS3, I'm not a gamer -it's just a cheap (relatively) BD player for me.

:)

The other question is will it sell much better at $499? At least with the laser diode problem being solved, they have probably reduced their costs substantially. With the 5 disc promotion it makes it seem like $399. I think am ready to spring for a BD player. Even if it cannot do the new stuff in the future at least I have a nice game console...

i asked this in the gamming forum but didnt get a response, so should i run out buy one from best buy then when the circuit city ad come and for 100 less bring back my recipt so they do a price adjustment to the 499.99+10% of the difference? Also doesnt best buy have a deal if you open a credit card you get an additonal 10% off your purchase? This could work out to a real sweet deal could get a ps3 for close to 400+tax and get the 5 free movies

I bought my PS3 (20GB) back in May and I've been very pleased with it. And playing movies is the only thing it will ever do in my house. I don't think it will meet the Oct. BD 1.1 specs requiring a secondary audio & video decoder, but Sony will support the PS3 for a very long time.

This pricing with the 5 free movies is a pretty sweet deal. Just be sure you're aware of the selection of the free movies - it's pretty limited:

Blu-ray Savings U.S.A. Edition

And if it's like the Toshiba free movie rebate, be prepared to wait awhile to get your movies.

i asked this in the gamming forum but didnt get a response, so should i run out buy one from best buy then when the circuit city ad come and for 100 less bring back my recipt so they do a price adjustment to the 499.99+10% of the difference? Also doesnt best buy have a deal if you open a credit card you get an additonal 10% off your purchase? This could work out to a real sweet deal could get a ps3 for close to 400+tax and get the 5 free movies

Go ahead if you want to take the chance at saving an extra $10. I personally would wait because the hassel of doing all of this is not worth the extra $10. Are you sure that BB does the credit card discount? This also may not work in your favor because BB returns the items and then resells them to you on the price matching after the sale. This may cause you to lose the discount anyway.

From my calculation if they do the credit card discount on the original PS3 price, the min price would be $430 + tax.

I don't think it will meet the Oct. BD 1.1 specs requiring a secondary audio & video decoder, but Sony will support the PS3 for a very long time.

My thinking is that with the cell processor they can emulate a second MPEG-4 decoder if they need to. MPEG type work seems to be an ideal fit for multiprocessors like that. It may not come out right away (or may never), but I bet it could be done. Considering a regular PC cpu can decode MPEG-4 in real time, a cell with 7 processors should be able to decode 2 streams at once.

Sony will now blame the apparent price drop of the PS3 on a computer update malfunction. But, since it happened by accident they will honor the price. They never considered the PS3 to be a slow seller or in need of a price reduction. The original price has been very well received and is a great value for the consumer, now the consumer is practically stealing the unit...

Cross-posting this since it is relevant in both the VG and the BR threads that are both going on the same subject....

Now official.

Annoyed that they didn't embrace the news leaking and instead adamantly denied a price decrease was coming, and now days later make an official price drop.

KOTV.com - The News On 6

New 80gb version coming in August (isnt it already easy to upgrade the drive, does external storage work?) with a 'free' copy of Motorstorm (which will prolly be a budget title by then?) and will retail for $599.

What is up with the tiny hard drives? The difference between 80GB and 200GB is like $3 now. They need to leapfrog the xbox 360 again.

ya, would love to see a comparison of the bare parts as far as hard drive pricing these companies pay.

I would imagine at some point the 20gb HDD in the 360s became more expensive than a 200gb OEM drive any of us can pick up at the store BECAUSE it is just 20gb and not being produced for other uses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)