PS3 price drop effect

bsk116

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 26, 2006
Too frikin far north
This will not make some people very happy. Amazon is selling the PS3 for $499 (ranked #1) with free ship AND a controller and 6 blu-ray disc for free. I don't know about you, but looks like the momentum is picking up for the blu crew.

Yeah, they're really pushing the PS3 as a movie player. I still have yet to buy a game for it. Seems so strange the way things have gone with the PS3.

Actually bought the PS3 bundle today from amazon, now have both BD and HD-DVD

Shipping Method: Two-Day Shipping
Shipping Preference: I want my items faster. Ship them as they become available.
Subtotal of Items: $544.93
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Promotion Applied -$2.00

Promotion Applied -$24.99

Promotion Applied -$19.95

------
Total for this Order: $497.99

Note with amazon prime free shipping and with the HDDVD/BD coupon another $2 off... Nice price!

Cheapest Blu-ray and HD DVD Players

Sony is practically giving away the Blu-ray player part of the PS3, but the price of $499 is still almost double price of the second generation Toshiba HD A2 player which is generally about $259 at Amazon. Sony is getting a buying spurt now with the new price for the PS3, but if they raise the price back to $599 for the new 80 GB model in August when all of the 60 GB models are gone, the PS3 will die, especially since the 80 GB model will have limited back compatability with PS2 games.

Except for the PS3, the Blu-ray format would be dead as the Toshiba HD players are outselling stand alone Blu-ray players by about 3 to 1. I think that the format war is far from over as well as whether either one will have more than a niche market. Regular DVD's are outselling both formats by about 100 to 1 and I do not see how any of the movie studios are making a profit in this low volume market.

However, I would not be surprised if the Toshiba HD A2 is selling at Amazon for $199 in the fall and putting the HD DVD format on top unless stand alone Blu-ray players are selling in that range. It will be an interesting second half of the year. A price of $199 or below should open up the market to the mass audience. I am still on the fence, but will probably by one at a $199 or lower price point. The problem for me (and most people) is that I will have to spend about $400 for a new receiver to enjoy the better sound options available on the HD formats.

Are you saying the 80GB PS3 will be less compatible with PS2 games than the current 60GB PS3?

that is a rumor as they are doing it by software, which is being updated with every firmware, also the 60GB is going nowhere, dont know where you read that.

Are you saying the 80GB PS3 will be less compatible with PS2 games than the current 60GB PS3?

This is a definite possibility bordering certainty. There was a big controversy over European units having limited compatibility with the PS2. Sony manufactured PS3s without the additional PS2 chipset because emulation would be a cheaper option. Sony really needs to cut costs to raise their profit margin since adoption rate of the PS3 has not been high, so this sounds very probable.

This is a definite possibility bordering certainty. There was a big controversy over European units having limited compatibility with the PS2. Sony manufactured PS3s without the additional PS2 chipset because emulation would be a cheaper option. Sony really needs to cut costs to raise their profit margin since adoption rate of the PS3 has not been high, so this sounds very probable.

That's what I read - the new 80GB model will be like the European model - they're taking out the chip (Emotion chip?) to save cost, but it severely limits capability for PS1 & 2 games.

The speculation is that since the 80GB will not have the PS2 chips in it, they will quitely drop them from the 60GB model as soon as the current inventory of 60s is depleted. This would cut the cost of the unit down, helping with the $100 price drop.

Sony should come out ahead with the supply of the blue laser diode finally catching up and dropping dramatically in price and removal of the PS2 chips, cutting the loss per unit way down.

The software emulation of the PS2 is what they use in Europe, and as mentioned above each patch improves the compatibility with older titles. They have a compatibility list.

My usual bad timing hits again, I bought mine on 6/7, too late to get a price match from CC plus lost out on the 5 free BD DVD's. ARG!:mad:

Rad havent seen you in a while, things good? also how are you liking the Ps3? I know in my area the walmart's round me have 2 in the case, and none in the backroom at 1 and 1 in the case and I dont know how many in the backroom at the other.

My local BB sold out of PS3s, I bought the amazon deal, but maybe there was a pent up demand for these at a lower price.

That's what I read - the new 80GB model will be like the European model - they're taking out the chip (Emotion chip?) to save cost, but it severely limits capability for PS1 & 2 games.
I remember hearing about all the speculation about that when the European model came out. But my recollection of what happened was that the software emulation wound up supporting almost all the games that were supported before yanking the chip.
Therefore there should be no problems doing the same here in the US.
More FUD by the Microsoft ranks IMO.

Wow, I was out and about yesterday evening with my wife and notice there was no PS3s displayed at a local Wal-Mart and Target...they always have 2-3 sitting in the display case. I get the feeling the price drop, along with the free Blu-Ray discs and release of several are driving up sales. I am returning a defected bluetooth headset at the Best Buy next to my office this morning and I am curious to see if the PS3 pyramid is any smaller.

Anyway, does anyone know how well the PS3 is selling this past week?

Wow, I was out and about yesterday evening with my wife and notice there was no PS3s displayed at a local Wal-Mart and Target...they always have 2-3 sitting in the display case. I get the feeling the price drop, along with the free Blu-Ray discs and release of several are driving up sales. I am returning a defected bluetooth headset at the Best Buy next to my office this morning and I am curious to see if the PS3 pyramid is any smaller.

Anyway, does anyone know how well the PS3 is selling this past week?

yeah right lol, we cant even get accurate date for a month, and you want it for the week :) all I know is it is reported to be #1 at amazon for the last week, and selling out all over the country, and if thats the case, I cant wait till the numbers come in.

Rad havent seen you in a while, things good? also how are you liking the Ps3? I know in my area the walmart's round me have 2 in the case, and none in the backroom at 1 and 1 in the case and I dont know how many in the backroom at the other.

Stuart, hanging in there. Frankly I've been over at the other guys site more lately due to all the "CE" activity overthere, been keeping me busy with all the downloads. On the PS3, yep liking it. I also have a Toshiba HD-DVD player and the PS3 just blows it away IMHO. While the HR20 has the media share stuff for MP3's and JPEG's the PS3 is just so much quicker accessing everything plus I can take some of my home videos, put them on my server and watch then via the PS3. I know it's expensive but I end to buy things on the high side, like my $1,200 VHS VCR, my $900 DVD player (all of which now can be had for $49.95) but that's just me. I got mine at CC since they threw in a free wireless controller, everywhere else I looked at the time was $599 and that it only the PS3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)