PS4 as a Blu-ray Player Thread

Will PS4 support 4K content for video or gaming?

Support for high-resolution 4K output for still images and movie content is in consideration, but there are no further details to share at this time. PS4 does not currently support 4K output for games.

Seriously? I thought it was going to be the second device to support the UHD download service for Sony's video unlimited.

S~

They have said in the past that the PS4 will support 4K for movies but not games. I am pretty confident that 4K support will be added in via a software update just like a lot of the other features.

Not being able to play CDs is stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Not being able to play CDs is stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I was wondering about that myself... The license fee cannot be that expensive. It is interesting that in order to use BDs or DVDs you have to activate that feature online (or buy an activation disc). I suppose they do not want to pay licensing fees unless the user wants to watch movies.

The BD drive was just activated with 1.5. It can be downloaded to a USB device and installed. The update includes PS4 gaming features, so BD/DVD playback will be activated anyways. I can't find the installation directions I was reading the otther day. I believe they said you could call and ask for a disc, I don't believe they are charging for it, maybe shipping. I do remeber that they said the initial update needed to be done in Safe Mode.

S~

I was wondering about that myself... The license fee cannot be that expensive. It is interesting that in order to use BDs or DVDs you have to activate that feature online (or buy an activation disc). I suppose they do not want to pay licensing fees unless the user wants to watch movies.

I don't think that is it. Anyone who connects their PS4 to the internet will get the software update whether they watch movies or not. Sony includes software updates on first party games for people who don't connect to the internet too. Another option is to download the update to a PC and install it to the PS4 via a USB flash drive. I think it's safe to say that almost 100% of PS4 owners will get this update one way or another.

I think the reason this wasn't included from the start probably had something to do with them trying to get as many consoles built as possible before launch. Because of software updates, they are able to start production on hardware even before the software is ready to get as many units built as possible.

Here is my guess on the CD issue and I'll admit I don't understand how optical drives work. I don't know if one laser is capable of reading Blu-ray, DVD, and CD disks. The disks are the same size but the formats are different. Maybe they had to include additional hardware if they wanted CD support. These companies try to cut down every bit of production costs they can. That might explain the lack of CD support, especially if there weren't a ton of people using that feature.

I still think CD functionality should have been included but I would have been fine without it if the PS4 had DLNA support. This is the craziest omission out of all of them to me. Most of us store our music collection on our computers these days. The lack of CD support wouldn't be as big of a deal if we still had access to our music libraries over a home network like we did on PS3.

I streamed music from my PC to my 360 all the time during online multiplayer games and I loved that feature. Sony is finally giving us background music support like the 360 has had for years and they take away every option to get our library of music to the PS4. No CD playback, no DLNA, and no MP3 support? The only way to use their new custom music feature on the PS4 is to subscribe to Sony Music Unlimited for $10 per month. No thanks.

The good news is that MP3 and DLNA support are probably things that can be added via a software update. The president of Sony Computer Entertainment is giving a little hope on twitter so hopefully this will be fixed soon. If CD support requires additional hardware we will never see that addressed though.

image.jpg

Last edited:
The only thing I use my PS3 for is the multimedia and BD playing.

PS4 might not be the choice for you then. At least not now.

S~

Right, even if there was DLNA support a PS4 probably wasn't for you. First, you already have a PS3 that still has all your multimedia and blu-ray features. Secondly, if you aren't interested in games there are probably better value devices you could get. Playstation isn't the value blu-ray player anymore. You can get this Sony 3D blu-ray player with the major streaming services and DLNA support for $89.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWKC0JM/?tag=satell01-20

You can also get an Oppo 103 for $500 if you want even more bells and whistles.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009LRR5AQ/?tag=satell01-20

There was a time when I used to always recommend a PS3 to friends and family members asking for help picking out a blu-ray player. It didn't matter if they were gamers or not. The PS3 was the best bang for your buck blu-ray player on the market. I think those days are long gone though. There is no reason to recommend a $400 PS4 or a $500 Xbox One to someone who just wants to watch Blu-rays and stream Netflix.

I find it convenient to be able to operate my BD player with a universal IR or RF remote. Any idea how this will be possible with the PS4? The FAQ says the PS3 bluetooth remote won't work, which means no current PS3 BT-IR devices will work either. Did they put an IR port on the PS4, or are we stuck using IP, HDMI-CEC and controllers? Will existing PS3 IR dongles like Nyko work on the PS4?

BTW, this is just to satisfy my own curiosity. I have no plans to get a PS4. My BDP-S5100 does everything I need (BD, DVD, DLNA, streaming, etc.) and works beautifully with an ordinary remote.

I find it convenient to be able to operate my BD player with a universal IR or RF remote. Any idea how this will be possible with the PS4? The FAQ says the PS3 bluetooth remote won't work, which means no current PS3 BT-IR devices will work either. Did the put an IR port on the PS4, or are we stuck using IP, HDMI-CEC and controllers? Will existing PS3 IR dongles like Nyko work on the PS4?

This is something I'm concerned with too. The PS4 will be my main blu-ray player once I retire my PS3. I currently use my harmony remote and harmony's PS3 adapter. I won't go back to trying to use a controller as my remote. I'm hoping the PS4 has a standard IR sensor for remotes so I can continue to use my harmony. So far I haven't seen anything saying it does though. If it doesn't have a way to use a universal remote I will probably be buying one of those $89 Sony 3D blu-ray players I linked to earlier.

Last edited:
Man the PS4 is gonna really be neutered out of the box.I realize Sony is in a hurry to release them in time for the holiday season,but all the non working stuff will hurt sales imo.

What are people with no internet to do?I know it would be a very small percentage,but still.

Different lasers for different media types. DVD uses Red, BD uses Blue

S~

I did a little research. Technically, a BD player could also play DVDs and CDs using a single laser, but it would need to have a lens focusing mechanism. Cheaper to have 2 or (usually) 3 lasers. Similarly, a DVD player could get by with a single laser and a lens focusing system, but usually it was better to just put in 2 lasers. Note that the lasers used have fixed frequencies and cannot be adjusted.

I'd say the odds strongly favor the PS4 having just a BD laser and a DVD laser and no focusing mechanism. So the chance of it ever playing a CD is slim to none, as is the chance of my ever buying one.

For those that want to read a little more on this, here's dis, dat, and de utter links.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)