Puerto Rico & US Virgin Islands TurboHD

ELaimins

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
St John, USVI
Hi Folks,

Long time browser, but new member-so please forgive me for posting this question(s) if it is in an inappropriate forum.

My home is at: 18°19'26"N by 64°42'5'W

I have seen many ads for DishTV's new TurboHD system, and I really want to subscribe to the programming package.

Unforunately, DishTV's customer service is terrible. They simply are not able to tell me whether I can get HD service or not. (I am not going to even mention DirectTV's cust svc, which makes DishTV's cust svc look spectacular by comparsion...)

At any rate, I am not here to vent, simply to to try and tap some of minds od the reallly knowledgeable folks here.

From what I am able to piece together, I am able to receive DishTV from their 110 degrees and 119 degrees birds, given azimuth/elevation/line of sight ability. To see those specific birds I am told I need at least a 1.5 meter dish.

Given that I am able to at least "see" those birds, so to speak, would anyone know whether HD programming (like the TurboHD package) is available to me given my location? (Note: it's US territory so there are no legal drawbacks and I know some bars and homeowners do have Dish at their places)

As I said, DishTV cust svc hasn't a clue. I know people here do, at the very least pointing me in the right direction as to where/how I can have my questions answered.

Much obliged to all.

Eric

As Iceberg said, most HD is in 61.5. Being able to subscribe to them is another story.

At 110 you can get HBO, Showtime, TNT, HDNet, HDNEt Movies, ESPN, NFL, HDNet Movies, Sci Fi and USA.

If you can get 61.5 you will be able to receive 17 premium movie channels, if you subscribe to their SD counterparts.

Now, the story is that DISH will not let you subscribe to any other HD package to receive HD from 61.5, even if you have an adequate dish size (2 mt). Although some people have been able to convince DISH to activate the national HD packages (search the forums).

That said, there is a sense of hope that something good is coming to the area soon. What it is, if anything, nobody seems to know (or able to tell).

There is no HD at 119.

Thanks you guys

As Iceberg said, most HD is in 61.5. Being able to subscribe to them is another story.

At 110 you can get HBO, Showtime, TNT, HDNet, HDNEt Movies, ESPN, NFL, HDNet Movies, Sci Fi and USA.

If you can get 61.5 you will be able to receive 17 premium movie channels, if you subscribe to their SD counterparts.

Now, the story is that DISH will not let you subscribe to any other HD package to receive HD from 61.5, even if you have an adequate dish size (2 mt). Although some people have been able to convince DISH to activate the national HD packages (search the forums).

That said, there is a sense of hope that something good is coming to the area soon. What it is, if anything, nobody seems to know (or able to tell).

There is no HD at 119.

Thanks so much Iceberg and jdonato.

Yeah, that's what I heard about the 119 degrees bird.

HBO, Showtime, TNT, HDNet, HDNEt Movies, ESPN, NFL, HDNet Movies, Sci Fi and USA in HD isn't a bad start I reckon.

That's the way I'll go, and then monitor any news about "something good is coming to the area soon".

Again, many thanks. I knew I came to the right place!

Eric

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)