Pulled the trigger today and have a few questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
I'm not going to bag on Dish all day in this thread, but I had them for a few years and they didn't meet my needs any further so I switched. I have an HR34 and 3 H25's. So far I love the setup with the 5 tuners and MRV, and each H25 has their own tuner as well...awesome combination.

So after setting up a few recordings... at first I set them up with 2 minute padding on the front and back. But according to another thread, Ice told me not do to this as the Directv receiver will do this automatically when it can. Great..just like the Dish receiver.

I recorded several episodes of one show. I could see them all in my list but the receiver kept grouping them together. I hated when my kids enabled this feature on Dish, I like to just hit the list and the recordings show up, one show per line, with the newest shows at the top. Is there any way to do this without having to hit the options button then pick the top option then hit all everytime?

When going through the shows I recorded I was trying to figure out the order of the episodes. I couldn't find an episode number or date it aired. I could see the year it aired but that didn't do me much good. What am I missing?

I haven't ran into it yet with the 5 tuners of course, but will the receiver show you in the recording schedule that you have a conflict?

Just trying to get in the rhythm of things and all. So far, I'm loving the setup. The DVR is gone from my bedroom, no more airplane fan at night! YAY! I can barely hear the HR34, I have to get up close to hear it, which is a huge plus. Not to mention the HR34 is very power efficient in comparison to the Dish 722 and 722k...

I haven't ran into it yet with the 5 tuners of course, but will the receiver show you in the recording schedule that you have a conflict?
yes. If you try and schedule a 6th recording it will say "conflict" and you can remove 1 of the existing recordings or cancel.
If you do a series it automatically finds the next recording. So for me I sort the series by day and the ones on the locals go higher than the stuff on A&E, TruTV and History which replay it alot

So after setting up a few recordings... at first I set them up with 2 minute padding on the front and back. But according to another thread, Ice told me not do to this as the Directv receiver will do this automatically when it can. Great..just like the Dish receiver.
go into the record defaults and change it to 1 before 1 after. The oddball local stuff that goes to :01 or :02 the D* guide seems to catch better than Dish. Also it wont do it when it can. It does it every time. It will record the overlap and not tie up any extra tuners

Directv guide will not give you the episode number but hit more info and it will give you the air date... the info on the actors used to give thumbnail pics and bios for some, not as good as it used to be. It should give you a conflict message also.

I'm not going to bag on Dish all day in this thread, but I had them for a few years and they didn't meet my needs any further so I switched. I have an HR34 and 3 H25's. So far I love the setup with the 5 tuners and MRV, and each H25 has their own tuner as well...awesome combination.

I recorded several episodes of one show. I could see them all in my list but the receiver kept grouping them together. I hated when my kids enabled this feature on Dish, I like to just hit the list and the recordings show up, one show per line, with the newest shows at the top. Is there any way to do this without having to hit the options button then pick the top option then hit all everytime?

When going through the shows I recorded I was trying to figure out the order of the episodes. I couldn't find an episode number or date it aired. I could see the year it aired but that didn't do me much good. What am I missing?

Just trying to get in the rhythm of things and all. So far, I'm loving the setup. The DVR is gone from my bedroom, no more airplane fan at night! YAY! I can barely hear the HR34, I have to get up close to hear it, which is a huge plus. Not to mention the HR34 is very power efficient in comparison to the Dish 722 and 722k...

:welcomeWelcome to DTV. I usually set a padding of 1 minute before & after a recording whether I'm setting up a one time or series recording. If I know that a program I want to see follows directly after a program I'm recording(or going to record),I have the first program end "on time" & the following program begin "on time."

If you have more than one recording of the same show,it will end up in a folder.the latest recording is always listed above the older one.

If I know that a program I want to see follows directly after a program I'm recording(or going to record),I have the first program end "on time" & the following program begin "on time."
can I ask why? Unlike Dish, the DIrectv receiver can record the overlap just fine without tying up more than one tuner. SO ya might as well let it record a minute lafter

Digi the only suggestion I have to help you with the order of the recordings is to go to menu,settings&help,misc.options,playlist sort then select date (newest first) or any other option you want.

With the grouping of the recordings there's no permanent solution. Sorry

can I ask why? Unlike Dish, the DIrectv receiver can record the overlap just fine without tying up more than one tuner. SO ya might as well let it record a minute lafter

What if the programs are not on the same channel. Seems it would have to use another tuner for the one minute.

This is one of the features (probably the only one) I liked better with the TiVo than with the HRxx's, the ability to but items in folder or lists or to list them individually. I don't like folder either but I have yet to find away to get rid of it.

correct. But with 5 tuners available you shouldnt have much of an issue ;)

Yeah...I did a test and it conflicted due to the minute overlap. I will give the on time options a whirl and see how they workout and adjust shows as needed.

Digi the only suggestion I have to help you with the order of the recordings is to go to menu,settings&help,misc.options,playlist sort then select date (newest first) or any other option you want.

With the grouping of the recordings there's no permanent solution. Sorry

yeah you have to ungroup them every time. Not a huge problem. Wish I was able to jog those programmers memory and teach them a few things :)

Directv guide will not give you the episode number but hit more info and it will give you the air date... the info on the actors used to give thumbnail pics and bios for some, not as good as it used to be. It should give you a conflict message also.

I found it gives you the air date only on the HR34 and not the remote H25s. They have the year but not the full date, looks someone overlooked something there.

I see some guide data is messed up as I have some shows set to first run only but it is recording old episodes. Hoping it will straighten itself out later as I really don't need to record those old episodes then its hard to tell if it is new or not from one of the H25s.

All in all I found a few minor annoyances but I am smiling ear to ear and wish I would have changed earlier.

only thing I doubt myself now on is should I have paid another 100 for another dvr in the master bedroom. But 5 tuners is more than enough for us so I don't think it would be worth it.

yes i wish i had paid the extra 100 for another dvr. i had to move my dvr to the bedroom because i record two many shows that i couldnt watch to in the living room now i miss being able to rewind tv in the living room

Hmmmm... wonder if I could get them back out to swap a receiver out. Ran into a conflict and those two extra dvr tuners would be great for those odd times. Only downside is no shared scheduling from what I read about two dvrs on the network.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)