PVR TIMER QUESTION S10

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

utah2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
new york
How do you avoid timer being cancelled during motor movement on S10. ( tried searching forums; did not find anything) Do you have st double timers for every recording. One timer to get to sat. which will be cancelled thru time out , 2nd timer to start & fin recording?. This is something I may have missed in setup ? This is not a problem if you shut down on sat you want to record on & only have one timer & one sat set for recording.
Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

Utah,

I don't have first hand experience with the S9 or S10 IRD's, so I am a bit lame here.

However, I have questioned this in the past with my AZBox's. With the AZBox, it wakes up (if in sleep mode) and prepares for the timer recording function to begin ahead of time. So, it actually seems to drive the motor to the satellite where the channel to be recorded is before it starts the record timer. It seems to do this even when parked at a far off sat, almost as if it knows when to set it's own alarm clock earlier so that it is at the channel to be recorded in advance, and then it begins recording right on cue.

That seems a bit far fetched to imagine that it is that good. So, what I think is going on is that the AZBox has a built in PREP timer that is longer than 1 minute. One minute is longer than the time required for my motor to travel from one end of the horizon to the other (30.0°W to 125.0°W or vice versa) which gives it plenty of time to start the recording event.

Now, we are examining your S10's record operation. What I would like you to clarify for me is this. Does the RECORD event cancel itself because it doesn't detect a valid signal in time, (because the motor is still travelling)?

If this is the case, then you will have to set two timers until they provide a firmware upgrade or option to correct this. But, if you have the option, I wouldn't schedule a RECORD event to move the dish, I would schedule a PLAY event. I have this option on my AZBox. I can schedule a RESERVED PLAY EVENT, so it moves the dish to a desired channel, but it doesn't record it. Then, the RESERVED RECORD EVENT can execute normally and on cue.

This doesn't really help you any because you are still in the same boat. It sounds to me as if they didn't program the firmware to accommodate this scenario. Unless someone else has a trick up their sleeve, I don't have much that I can offer other than to understand your dilemna and relate to it.

RADAR

I had the dish aimed properly when I played with the timer friday night.The receiver started to record and burped,I had to manually start the recording with the remote.The timer kicked in an turned the receiver off at the stop time.The motor action probably had nothing to do with the failure.This was with s12 firmware(based on the dec 10th firmware) on the s10.
Playing the program with the receiver I got the dreaded device too slow to play back,which was pitiful since it was just an sd recording from RTV on 83w.

Thanks responses Radar & xtgold. The S10 timer says event notified when timer is about 30 sec from setting then I think it starts dish moving (dish on roof have not verified when movement starts) about 10 secs after this a quick notification flashes on screen that timer has been cancelled. I've not played with this problem further & have looked to have shut down on sat & chl. I wish to record. This is just one more i/2 baked prog. feature of openbox. While I (like others) still think it's a good stb for the $ it will probably be years b-4 FW probs are worked out. I also still have hope to unbrick my s9 after reading xtgolds s10 killing & rebirth of tuner. Although s10 is more modular then s9 where my problem on s9 is (I think) corrupt bootloader & no matter what I try with orig loader being used I cannot reach s9 thru rs232 to stop rebooting of unit to chnl 676 which happened when I tried to load my tp-prog list to a skybox fw that was working in s9 at the time.
UTAH

I've missed some timer recordings which I assume was caused by my slower motor movement and the "no signal" to record if it is logic-controlled looking for signal. Usually I see the "event notified" followed by the recording shortly after.

My biggest problem with S10 recording is that the unit seems to shut DOWN after recording, even if other recordings are scheduled, and to the best of my knowledge, it won't "wake to record" if the unit is shut down. I can't see why you'd need to have it shut-off, and I don't know how to get around this!

Sad, but the only firmware with no lockups on SD (Ion and some others) is the version I'm running.
Can't remember what version it is now, but I had to take the least quirky of the versions for my hardware. God knows they're all different, even with the same supposed "model number"

Hey, do we have a countdown to the new Satellite AV unit going yet? Many of us S-10'ers are probably MORE than ready!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)