Q RE:Existing customers experiences with negotiating upgrades

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DaveK913

Original poster
Dec 24, 2005
Northern Indiana
Hello all. I've been lurking here for a few days now, and have found this to be one insightful site when it comes to satellite TV. Reading some of it makes me want to go scrounging for old dishes and tinkering!

I did say this was a question though, so here goes. My wife and I have D*(If what I gleaned of the abbreviations is correct), and were thinking of upgrading. My primary want is an HD receiver, and hers is a DVR. We could probably afford the H20 with the rebate, but more would be pushing it some, so we were wondering if D* can be generous to loyal customers and maybe give us some kind of deal. The only thing we've upgraded other than newer receivers is a 3 LNB dish a couple of years ago, and we had our local guy do that. In other words, we've never upgraded hardware directly through D*. What are some "tactics" people with experience negotiating with them have used?

We've had the service for 10 years now, and although my wife feels that in itself should qualify us for something with all the incentives they give new customers, I told her it's not quite that simple. Committing to extra service isn't an issue, as we've had TC Platinum for years now. I would appreciate any thoughts anyone might have.

Also, will owning a 5 LNB dish be of paramount importance in the future?

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!

Directv has been very good to me. I have only been a customer since November 2003 but I have been able to get great deals on the Samsung 360 HD and the HR10-250 after reading about them on the forums.
I have never threatened them with leaving, I just asked if I am eligible for the promotion I wanted. I made three calls in three years and was only turned down once. That was right after the HR10-250 came out and they said to call back in six months. When I called back after six months I had no problem getting a deal.

In six plus years with Dish I could never get any upgrade deals on equipment and always had to pay full retail.

I think the key is to know what you want. Read what deals others are getting, decide if it is what you want and ask for it nicely.

Last edited:
I told Directv that I was thinking of switching back to cable or go with Dishnetwork so I could add tv in 2 more rooms in my house. They quickly offered to give me 2 receivers for free.

DaveK913 said:
Hello all. I've been lurking here for a few days now, and have found this to be one insightful site when it comes to satellite TV. Reading some of it makes me want to go scrounging for old dishes and tinkering!
I did say this was a question though, so here goes. My wife and I have D*(If what I gleaned of the abbreviations is correct), and were thinking of upgrading. My primary want is an HD receiver, and hers is a DVR. We could probably afford the H20 with the rebate, but more would be pushing it some, so we were wondering if D* can be generous to loyal customers and maybe give us some kind of deal. The only thing we've upgraded other than newer receivers is a 3 LNB dish a couple of years ago, and we had our local guy do that. In other words, we've never upgraded hardware directly through D*. What are some "tactics" people with experience negotiating with them have used?
We've had the service for 10 years now, and although my wife feels that in itself should qualify us for something with all the incentives they give new customers, I told her it's not quite that simple. Committing to extra service isn't an issue, as we've had TC Platinum for years now. I would appreciate any thoughts anyone might have.
Also, will owning a 5 LNB dish be of paramount importance in the future?
Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!
My advice is to you is to contact D* and explain your situation. If your account is, and has been in good standing you should be able to negotiate a pretty good deal. You may have to make several attempts because every CSR will give you a different deal. If necessary talk to a supervisor. As far as the 5 LNB dish goes, now it is just necessary for local HD channels thru D*, but in the future it will be used for national HD channels. Good Luck.

Thanks for the replies. I've seen where some people have used a potential service change as a bargaining chip, but have always felt that should be a last resort sort of thing. We've never been late on or missed a payment, and can't recall ever calling them with a complaint or anything like that. We're pretty low maintenance customers.:)

We may wait a month or so though. We're trying to work my wife's parents into a new insurance plan, and if it works out we should be able to save around $500 a month since we've been paying for most of their current plan. Twould be nice.

Thanks again!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts