Qam tuner issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

trido

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2004
Southern indiana
Man i have had my share of qam issues this past two weeks.
I have Dish hd.
I have Insight Cable HD DVR.
Told wife time to replace the 3 year old MITSI RP.
And if i can get a new set I take back the Insight DVR and just use QAm for local HD channels.

At Wal mart I get a Nice Vizo 42" LCD pix looks great however QAm isnt decoding my local ABS station pix frezzes up every three seconds.
Confirm with other sets not station.
Back it goes so I get a 37" Samsing LCD super nice qam works, had a week then realize too small having a 42" for three years I CANT GO SMALLER.
Back it goes I go to SAMS there is a Samsung 42" Plasma great pix and i asked customer service two dif people we have a ONE year return policy, I say great I take the Plasma.

Get home yes qam not working this time on FOX local.
What a mess however atleast for now I will use the dish box for OTA fox HD lucky for me my local FOX is the strongest station.

Has anyone run into these QAM issues?

Oh I must meantion both qam set issues also same problem OTA with them,
All digital tuners must not be the same.

First of all OTA stations do not use QAM. QAM is a cable encoding system.

The problem you are having is too much signal or ghosting. Everyone I've told this to in person thinks I'm nuts when I say this, but too much signal is BAD when you are talking digital tV. When you have a very strong signal you usually also have a very strong multi-path signal as well (ghosts). Different digital tuners react differently to this. Tha tis why some get you one channel and others get other channels. But in general if you live close to the transmitters (10-20 miles) and you are using rabbit ears, try putting the antenna all the way DOWN.

At my house when I have the antenna all the way up, I get NOTHING! Zip-e-de-do-dah. zilch, nada. With the antenna all the way down I get all the local channels with more signal than I know what to do with. And if I fiddle around with the way the antenna is pointed I can pull in 4 of the 6 channels from an adjacent market.

Antenna placement is also very important. Heck if I have the rabbit ears up high and clear of obscructions I get NOTHING. If it's on the floor behind the TV where it sucks for NTSC TV, I get great ATSC reception!

See ya
Tony

First of all OTA stations do not use QAM. QAM is a cable encoding system.

The problem you are having is too much signal or ghosting. Everyone I've told this to in person thinks I'm nuts when I say this, but too much signal is BAD when you are talking digital tV. When you have a very strong signal you usually also have a very strong multi-path signal as well (ghosts). Different digital tuners react differently to this. Tha tis why some get you one channel and others get other channels. But in general if you live close to the transmitters (10-20 miles) and you are using rabbit ears, try putting the antenna all the way DOWN.

At my house when I have the antenna all the way up, I get NOTHING! Zip-e-de-do-dah. zilch, nada. With the antenna all the way down I get all the local channels with more signal than I know what to do with. And if I fiddle around with the way the antenna is pointed I can pull in 4 of the 6 channels from an adjacent market.

Antenna placement is also very important. Heck if I have the rabbit ears up high and clear of obscructions I get NOTHING. If it's on the floor behind the TV where it sucks for NTSC TV, I get great ATSC reception!

See ya
Tony

agreed but why on qam tuner can the qam be overloaded also? On station in question via qam signal is NOT full scale.
I had thought DISh tu8ners were the worse but I am proving that aint so.
reading your answerI mainly asking about about the qam tuner issue.

I use 2 different QAM tuners on cable. I have a couple Samsung 451s and they just don't work very well at all on QAM for me. One seems worse than the other. I also have an LG QAM tuner and it works much better but not perfect with my cable provider. The LG manual states that particularly strong digital signals may require the use of an attenuator (10 dB I think?) and it cautions of overly strong signals as well. I did a pretty cheap and dirty job when wiring some of the extra rooms in my house (impedance mismatch on cables, connecting patch cords tgogether and 6 rooms being fed so I wonder if this also has something to do with the performance I see. The LG works 90+% of the time and I bought an adjustable attenuator and it seems to help for digital. Not always optimal for analog I would suspect though. The Samsung is just so much worse I wonder if something else is up. Anyway, you might get an attenuator at Radio Shack and play with it between your cable and tuner input. Good luck....

I am very confused here...

First off...

If you are talking about QAM tuners, you are talking about receiving digital channels OVER CABLE TV.

Dish Network DOES NOT have QAM tuners on ANY of their receivers. They have ATSC tuners. (unless you are talking about a distribution system which is something else entirely)

If you are talking about picking up over the air TV station with an antenna, you are talking about the ATSC tuner and not the QAM tuner.

Now, are you having trouble with CABLE TV and the QAM tuner on your TV?

Are you having problems picking up over the air TV station with your TV's and Dish Network's OTA ATSC tuner?

See ya
Tony

More on Qam

well get this last nite during Fox network shows qam was fine.
However when station went to local commercials then later the news thats when the qam acts up green green and all/ This is realy strange.

I wrote to their Chief eng as I know him fairly well.The other odd thing when on local commercial and news cast Samsung shows them as 108i?

However during FOX network shows they display the correct 720p

having issues with Samsung QAM and OTA tuners ONLY during local FOX station broadcast.
Dish 211 NO issues at all OTA

QAM issues fixed?

Well sure nice to hace a chief Eng of a local staion that takes your emails and acts on them.

My ongoing QAM issue appears to be solved this am.

I emailed FOX 7 Eng asking could there be any issues on stations side?

I’m sure it was, since network was OK it had to be in our upconverting system. Some receivers ignored it but others couldn’t so I tracked the bad card down and rebooted. Everything looks good now.

thanks Fox 7

You keep on talking about QAM issues in relation to OTA reception. The OTA tuner DOES NOT use QAM!!!! QAM is currently used in digital cable only in the US!

I really wish I knew what the hell you were talking about when you refer to QAM?

See ya
Tony

You keep on talking about QAM issues in relation to OTA reception. The OTA tuner DOES NOT use QAM!!!! QAM is currently used in digital cable only in the US!

I really wish I knew what the hell you were talking about when you refer to QAM?

See ya
Tony

I have the exact same issues with QAM tuner and the OTA digital tuner.But again all fixed it was on the TV station end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)