QARL-3624+ and ASC1

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

iBoston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
North Central
Okay, i have this problem. If i am at the far end of the arcs, ie 55 degrees or 137 and i park it there for awhile, when i go to move the dish, i get a limit/obstruction error . Is this a problem? or is this unique to me? It is cold here. Around 20's. It doesn't happen every time, but it seems to be more problematic the longer i sit at the end of the arc.

Low temperatures can take its toll on BUDs. Not unusual to experience actuator problems in cold weather.

Watch the dish when sending a move command. Does it immediately start moving or is there a delay or a lurch? Could be that the cold or wet weather is causing the hardware to seize/bind or the grease to solidify. Some types of grease turn into glue at lower temperatures. Moisture can get into the tube and freeze the unit solid. Actuator accordion boots and a light coating of a water repelling low temperature lubricant will help.

What version firmware is loaded on the ASC1? The sensor delay time-out was increased in later versions. If running June 2014 or more current, there is not reason to change.

This is a reason I have 58w as my eastern most. Even 58 west my actuator is slow on the pick up in cold weather. IBoston its snowman from ricks Im close to you. Also make sure you set you limiter in the qarl. There is a hardware limiter CAM under the plastic cover. You may just be hitting the limit switch at 55 but if its your disec box saying limit then its probably cold weather and your motor is stalling in the cold. When the disec mover doesnt see a pulse from the sensor the motor isnt moving and it thinks you hit the actuators limit east or west when in reality the motor is cold. To hit both sides of the arc fully in winter up here you need two dishes one withe the actuator on the east side and one with the actuator on the west. Your actuator pushes better then it pulls.

Getting it at 137 too? Are you sweeping the snow off? Just fyi never move a snowed up dish. I have the qarl on a 9ft solid aluminum DH. Sounds like the other responder might me correct that your dish mover/disec mover might not be waiting long enough for the pulse. I have Gbox units for my setups as well as the small dish farm we use to feed channels to Charter com.

Yes, it happens on both sides of the arc. I thought about the software limits but i know its not that, because i cleared the software limits on the ASC1. I am very diligent about keeping the snow off it. I believe it might have happened not at full end of arc too, but ill have to double check that. I really like 55.5 degrees, as i listen to the music channels on that a lot when im working.

Yes, it happens on both sides of the arc. I thought about the software limits but i know its not that, because i cleared the software limits on the ASC1. I am very diligent about keeping the snow off it. I believe it might have happened not at full end of arc too, but ill have to double check that. I really like 55.5 degrees, as i listen to the music channels on that a lot when im working.
If you read back in my post Im talking about the hardware limits not the software limits. The actuator has a cam under the cover that will hit a limit switch in case the disec mover screws up (or the user holds down the east or west button too long or doesnt program in any limits to the mover) I have set my qarl limiter cam to just after 58 west and to 137 west on the other end. Just clarifying in case you missed that.

Reactions: Tom14
If you read back in my post Im talking about the hardware limits not the software limits. The actuator has a cam under the cover that will hit a limit switch in case the disec mover screws up (or the user holds down the east or west button too long or doesnt program in any limits to the mover) I have set my qarl limiter cam to just after 58 west and to 137 west on the other end. Just clarifying in case you missed that.
That is a good idea! I have set my dish that way too. No use in moving the dish any farther than it's work area right? I have to wonder sometimes when I see instructions where they will say to watch your dish as it's moving to make sure it doesn't come in contact with anything... I can't imagine installing a dish that wouldn't have full travel either way just for safety purposes. I suppose if I was that constricted, I would set the stops in tighter fore sure, but I would weld mechanical stops in that case. These dishes get claustrophobia real easy, don't they? Lol

Low temperatures can take its toll on BUDs. Not unusual to experience actuator problems in cold weather.

Watch the dish when sending a move command. Does it immediately start moving or is there a delay or a lurch? Could be that the cold or wet weather is causing the hardware to seize/bind or the grease to solidify. Some types of grease turn into glue at lower temperatures. Moisture can get into the tube and freeze the unit solid. Actuator accordion boots and a light coating of a water repelling low temperature lubricant will help.

What version firmware is loaded on the ASC1? The sensor delay time-out was increased in later versions. If running June 2014 or more current, there is not reason to change.
This might be a dumb question, but what would be the ramifications of Heat Tape (AC powered), like we rap around the water pipes? It would keep the actuator warm, and the grease and/or moisture would stay above freezing. But any electrical RF or induction factors involved, I don't know enough about...That would be my only issue. Just a thought...T

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts