Status
Please reply by conversation.

chaskuchar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 16, 2010
saint charles, missouri
don't know when but in checking it out the motor works ok but the 8' dish didn't move. I could turn the positioner one direct to get it back pointing south to 99w. it was east of there. but when I try to turn it east, it turns easy but nothing happens ordered a new positioner from sadoun, same model it says, and hope he has them in stock. chas

It is confusing. It sounds like the DiSEqC controller has a bad relay and the actuator is OK?

The motor is running but the dish doesn't move or only moves one direction? The acme nut might be partially stripped, or gears inside the "transmission" are not meshing properly.

However if the motor only "runs" one way and not the other try powering it with a 12v battery, switching polarity, and if it works both directions you may have a bad controller. Be careful when hooking up the battery though and make sure you are connecting the "motor" leads and not the sensor! Sounds like you may have made this test already though.

How old is that actuator and how often do you use it? Might be a unit to avoid if it isn't very old. The one I use here is likely 20 years old or more and I use it every day on a solid 10 footer, and still works well but there is a bit of play in the acme nut. A bit of low temp grease once in a while minimizes the play so it's acceptable.

Maybe there is a way to service your new one so it lasts longer. Not familiar with the Sadoun unit but it can't be that different from the others. Check the old one, maybe the acme nut or gears can be replaced so you have a spare?

I guess I didn't explain the turning of the mechanism well. I took the motor off and it turned ok both ways. however to turn the long pipe thing I had to use a pliers because it was very hard to turn it west but it went west. then when I tryed to turn it east or counter clockwise, it turned very easy but the dish did not move. when I get the new positioner and get it mounted, I will try to disassemble the old one and see what has happened. I don't want to leave the dish without any position and the wind blowing it around... hopefully that is cleared up. chas

Reactions: KE4EST
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts