QPF-031 ok for 1.8 M Fortec?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

corey006

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
As title says would QPF-031(with 120 FeedHorn) work well with 1.8 M Fortec Prime Focus dish?

The QPF-031 is the C120 flange lnb. It can be used with feedhorn designed for a prime focus dish. In fact, I believe they actually sell one to be used with it (ADF-120). So, basically the answer is In theory yes. I say "in Theory" because getting this dish (Fortec 1.6m) to work well on Ku will require very good alignment of the focal point of the feedhorn and proper adjustment of the scaler ring. Otherwise you might get lots of sidelobes. Also, I don't know how good the surface accuracy of these dishes are and how well they hold their shape since they're pretty much made of tinfoil. Also getting the petals aligned perfectly during assembly might be crucial as well. Anyway, if you can get the surface of the dish to be true and accurate and have it retain that shape and not bend in the wind and if you make sure the feedhorn in properly aligned at the focal point, then you might have a pretty decent performing Ku dish.

The QPF-031 is the C120 flange lnb. It can be used with feedhorn designed for a prime focus dish. In fact, I believe they actually sell one to be used with it (ADF-120). So, basically the answer is In theory yes. I say "in Theory" because getting this dish (Fortec 1.6m) to work well on Ku will require very good alignment of the focal point of the feedhorn and proper adjustment of the scaler ring. Otherwise you might get lots of sidelobes. Also, I don't know how good the surface accuracy of these dishes are and how well they hold their shape since they're pretty much made of tinfoil. Also getting the petals aligned perfectly during assembly might be crucial as well. Anyway, if you can get the surface of the dish to be true and accurate and have it retain that shape and not bend in the wind and if you make sure the feedhorn in properly aligned at the focal point, then you might have a pretty decent performing Ku dish.

Thanx...

Very helpful...thought it would be easier than that.

I will try to get the 1.8 Meter Andrews(CM) or 1.8 meter Patriot Dish.

I have used one of the fortec 1.8m dishes on Ku and it didn't perform too badly, but I'm positive you'll be much more pleased with a Patriot or Andrew dish as they are much better dishes and I suspect will perform better. A 1.8M Andrew or Patriot should get you pretty much anything on Ku band.

As for the 1.8M Fortec, it's like this. The upside of the 1.8M Fortec is it's a cheap dish. Whereas the downside of the 1.8M Fortec is that it's a cheap dish. Basically you get what you pay for.

LNB is expensive

Here's a $20 Prime Focus LNB for Ku .
Just in case you want to experiment before spending $100+ on the Invacom.
I believe DMSI dealers sell a similar product, if you care to do the leg work.

edit: I wasn't paying attention...
In THAT case, and since the Andrew/Patriot are OFFSET feed dishes, the QPH-031 is fine as-is.

As for the 1.8M Fortec, it's like this. The upside of the 1.8M Fortec is it's a cheap dish. Whereas the downside of the 1.8M Fortec is that it's a cheap dish. Basically you get what you pay for.

I think the Fortec 1.8M dish is a good buy for the money and shipping is affordable. I feel it's a good dish for someone looking to get started with on C band. I have one in storage right now I plan on redeploying for AMC18 soon. I currently have a 90cm dish fixed at X4. When the change over occurs to AMC18, I want to leave a dish pointed at that.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)