qpsk and 8psk

Agree with Tyralak and not with this bilge water.

Do you think the average customer knows the difference between a 510, 512, 522 or 625?

There is a very big difference between the 501/508/510 series and the rest, and it hardly matters that some customers may not know that difference. Dish knows, and we know. The difference is in the thread title. Dish is trying to put all transponders on WA onto 8PSK modulation, but they've got millions of QPSK receivers out there. So, for free, they have been upgrading all 301's to 311's, and the 50x series with a DVR of some sort. It's supposed to be a simple, direct swap. But Dish has no SD DVR receivers capable of 8PSK other than the 522/625, so...

They repurposed the 522, which so far as I know, they had in large numbers. As I mentioned in my post on page 1 of this thread, they supposedly put special firmware on the 522 that made it play nice with only one cable, and called it a 512, and charged $10/mo for it rather than $17.

I suspect, though I don't know without a 512 to play with, that the RF output still works just fine. An alternative mentioned above is that the firmware might have disabled it. Did you ever pull off the shroud and see what was cooking under there?

Yes they do. Not necessarily the model numbers, but quite a few have told me "Wait. They said this had 150 hours of recording not 100."

I have never had a customer say that during an installation. Maybe I have had a few call afterwards, but I have never seen a customer check the recording capacity of a DVR during an installation.

Also when we are selling a DVR to the customer, your susposed to disclose "100" hours on the standard definition models, so if your customer gets a 522 instead of a 625 they are not expecting 150 hours.

Nonsense. I didn't say that. They were considered the same receiver family. When I replaced defective 625s and all we had in the warehouse were 522s, we would replace their 625 with a 522. Yeah, a lot of customers weren't happy. I wouldn't have been either. When I said not an acceptable substitution, I was talking about from the customer's perspective.

If your doing that, then your doing a dis-service to the customer. True its the same receiver family, but you never downgrade a customer.

When your setting up a new account a 522 or 625 is accecptable. If a customer has a 522 and you replace with a 625, then its also accecptable. IF the customer has a 625 and you replace with a 522, thats not accecptable

The 512 won't like having only 1 input connected.
so what happens if someone has maxed out a switch or LNB and their 510 dies and they get a 512? Does Dish upgrade the switch too since they are adding a tuner andt "the 512 does not like having only 1 input connected?"?

just wondering because I have a relative with a 510, a 322 and a 311 (yeah I know......but their SDTV's aint broke) hooked to a Legacy Quad.

so what happens if someone has maxed out a switch or LNB and their 510 dies and they get a 512? Does Dish upgrade the switch too since they are adding a tuner andt "the 512 does not like having only 1 input connected?"?

just wondering because I have a relative with a 510, a 322 and a 311 (yeah I know......but their SDTV's aint broke) hooked to a Legacy Quad.

Upon further research it looks like the 512 will support only 1 input being hooked up.

L545, 2-17-11

• Features
    • Dynamic single tuner support for 512¹
    • Favorites list color change¹
    • Yellow standby text update¹
    • New recovery boot¹
    • Extended boot recovery¹
    • Misc.¹
  • Source (dishsupport.com)

http://dishuser.org/512sw.php

If they want it to operate as a dual-tuner while keeping all the other receivers then they'll probably have the usual tech visit rate, $95 without protection plan, $15 with. Sometimes you can get free visits, too.

If they want it to operate as a dual-tuner while keeping all the other receivers then they'll probably have the usual tech visit rate, $95 without protection plan, $15 with. Sometimes you can get free visits, too.
or in their case call up their nephew to do it (me) ;)

good to know it will work as a single tuner

Yep. Been on a few of those. It has to be done to code. If it's a dual tuner receiver, it has to have both tuners functional.

Do you have me on ignore? :(

Nah. You said supposedly so I wasn't totally sure. I was just basing my statements on my experience with attempting to only hook up one tuner on the dual-tuners. 512 seems like a waste using only one tuner though.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

So whenever someone gets their 508 replaced, perhaps they should coerce Dish into sending a tech out to do it rather than just doing a swap? Pretend you don't know anything about it.

To install a dual tuner receiver where a single tuner receiver was they could still use the one coax, put the separator on it for the dual tuners at the receiver and make sure there is a DPP lnb at the dish. It may require a swap out at the dish to make it possible.

I assume they do not manufacture the MPEG-2 receiver anymore and to save money they will try to get as much use out of all the receivers out there in the field so they will keep refurbishing them for years to come until the MPEG-2 receivers are depleted from stock and make sure that WA will be able to still work with those.

Last edited:
To install a dual tuner receiver where a single tuner receiver was they could still use the one coax, put the separator on it for the dual tuners at the receiver and make sure there is a DPP lnb at the dish. It may require a swap out at the dish to make it possible.

I assume they do not manufacture the MPEG-2 receiver anymore and to save money they will try to get as much use out of all the receivers out there in the field so they will keep refurbishing them for years to come until the MPEG-2 receivers are depleted from stock and make sure that WA will be able to still work with those.

That's exactly what's happening. Claude, however thinks it would have made better business sense to design a brand new MPEG2 receiver from the ground up just so it wouldn't be a reman. Because it makes total sense to design an entirely new class of receiver based on an outdated compression standard that Dish is trying to eventually get rid of.

I have never had a customer say that during an installation. Maybe I have had a few call afterwards, but I have never seen a customer check the recording capacity of a DVR during an installation.

Also when we are selling a DVR to the customer, your susposed to disclose "100" hours on the standard definition models, so if your customer gets a 522 instead of a 625 they are not expecting 150 hours.

If your doing that, then your doing a dis-service to the customer. True its the same receiver family, but you never downgrade a customer.

When your setting up a new account a 522 or 625 is accecptable. If a customer has a 522 and you replace with a 625, then its also accecptable. IF the customer has a 625 and you replace with a 522, thats not accecptable

Someone misses some good ol Charlie-lovin!

"Lucifer. Sitting in your basement. Sulking over your break up with the boss. You're nothing. "

No point in making MPEG-2 receivers when the MPEG-4 are backwards compatible with MPEG-2 signals. Still a bit cheaper for them to reman those MPEG-2 receivers than to make a new MPEG-4 one. I assume many of them get shipped to Canada for the Bell-ExpressVu service as well.

Thank you. I expect it won't be too many years before the WA will start switching to 8PSK/MPEG-4 capable boxes only.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

For the WA, the SD service will still be MPEG-2, but using 8PSK modulation scheme.

They haven't made an mpeg2 receiver since around 2007.

That would mean that the newest mpeg2 receiver out there is a minimum of 6 years old.

It took lots of subscriber churn for 6 year or older equipment to still be available in large quantities.

As far as the defective 522's. it's only logical that they would have the modulator disabled if it was broken. If it worked, logic would say they would have left the modulator active.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)