Quad cable or Double shield?????

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

erict

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Do I really need to use quad cable? What are the advantages? I have found some RG6/U from general cable at home depot and it says it is swept to 3GHZ. Will this work fine? My runs are not long and the dish will be a pole mount with the coax in conduit. I am running all the cables myself before the dish install.

Is it solid copper center conducter or copper coated steel? D* requires solid copper for HDTV installs. Quad is not necessary. To check center conductor with a magnet, copper won't stick.

It is copper clad steel. I have heard from others that they use copper clad steel with no problems:confused:

The higher resistance of copper-clad steel can result in too great a voltage drop for the multiswitch and LNBs (more likely to be a problem with a multisatellite HD dish), but if the runs are short there may be no problem. With a fresh installation, it makes sense to go with solid copper but I probably wouldn't replace existing cables unless there are problems. If you*are installing the cables yourself, it is best to go with compression connectors instead of crimp.

I will be setting the pole, running the conduit and lines but will let the installer put the ends on. I will only have a 30 to 40 foot run from dish to receiver.

Copper clad or Coperweld is just fine. It is more durable than solid copper, when it comes to kinking and physical damage.

AT 30-40 feet, it should work fine (150 ft might be a problem). Hopefully the installer won't balk when he sees it. I have some of that same cable in my installation (50 feet of solid copper followed by 30 feet of copper-clad steel left over from my original setup).

AT 30-40 feet, it should work fine (150 ft might be a problem). Hopefully the installer won't balk when he sees it. I have some of that same cable in my installation (50 feet of solid copper followed by 30 feet of copper-clad steel left over from my original setup).

He better not balk since 90% of the job will be completed upon arrival:eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)