Quad cable or Double shield?????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

erict

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Do I really need to use quad cable? What are the advantages? I have found some RG6/U from general cable at home depot and it says it is swept to 3GHZ. Will this work fine? My runs are not long and the dish will be a pole mount with the coax in conduit. I am running all the cables myself before the dish install.

Is it solid copper center conducter or copper coated steel? D* requires solid copper for HDTV installs. Quad is not necessary. To check center conductor with a magnet, copper won't stick.

It is copper clad steel. I have heard from others that they use copper clad steel with no problems:confused:

The higher resistance of copper-clad steel can result in too great a voltage drop for the multiswitch and LNBs (more likely to be a problem with a multisatellite HD dish), but if the runs are short there may be no problem. With a fresh installation, it makes sense to go with solid copper but I probably wouldn't replace existing cables unless there are problems. If you*are installing the cables yourself, it is best to go with compression connectors instead of crimp.

I will be setting the pole, running the conduit and lines but will let the installer put the ends on. I will only have a 30 to 40 foot run from dish to receiver.

Copper clad or Coperweld is just fine. It is more durable than solid copper, when it comes to kinking and physical damage.

AT 30-40 feet, it should work fine (150 ft might be a problem). Hopefully the installer won't balk when he sees it. I have some of that same cable in my installation (50 feet of solid copper followed by 30 feet of copper-clad steel left over from my original setup).

AT 30-40 feet, it should work fine (150 ft might be a problem). Hopefully the installer won't balk when he sees it. I have some of that same cable in my installation (50 feet of solid copper followed by 30 feet of copper-clad steel left over from my original setup).

He better not balk since 90% of the job will be completed upon arrival:eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)