quality of dishes?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bbernhardt

Original poster
Apr 1, 2004
Hi Guys/Gals,

I just recently moved and had directv install a new dish, while we left the old dish at the old house. I was wondering if there was a difference in quality comparing dishes? Both the dishes that I've used are the round ones, but the quality of the picture that I'm receiving now compared to the one I was getting isn't even close. The picture at the old house was awesome, really crisp and clean, while the one we have now is kinda grainy, like watching an old movie or old vcr tape. I have an RCA 38" HDTV widescreen tv with the directv receiver built into it and while watching DVD movies, the picture is perfect, so I know it's not the tv, it has to be the directv. I installed a line amplifier hoping that that would help, but only helped a little if at all.

I'm just wondering if there is anything that I'm missing as to why it is not a perfect picture. The signal strength is a bit higher here compared to the old house too, high 70's versus low 90's.

I've got an old dish that I can hook up to see, but thought I would ask before I did. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bobby

It isn't the quality of the dish that is in question, but the quality of the install. Get the installer back out and have them trouble shoot their work. If you have a HDTV with tuner why have you got a round dish you should have an oval 3 satellite dish.

I'm no professional installer by no means, but the picture quality is noticeable from my install on the first house and this "professional" install on this one. I've looked at all the connections and they all seem to be good.

I've always had a round dish, before I bought the new hdtv and the picture was perfect, I've got an extra oval dish, but don't you have to point it different? Which is no problem, but there really is no channels in this area that would benefit me to change to the different dish at the moment.

I was just curious if there was a different quality in dishes or the lnb's, because the install looks good, but the picture doesn't. Thanks for your reply boba.

How strong of a signal are you getting? Did the lines get split alot? Is it the same Quality Coax?

The Grainy Picture Is Noise. It's Your Cable From The Dish. Make Sure ALL Your Cable Is satellite RG6. Make Sure ALL Connections Are Tight.
Remember There Is Electricity Going Through Your Cable To The Dish, So Make Sure Any Cable To Cable Connections Are Not In Contact With Carpets Or Something Else That Can Produce Static.

Although the physical quality of the new dishes is not as good as the original Channel Master DirecTV dishes, it has very little to do with signal quality.

If you are using the channel 3/4 connection with coaxial cable from the receiver to the TV set, it might be that there is co-channel interference between the signal from the receiver to the TV. An very high level OTA signal of any kind will cause interference.

scott5626 said:
Your are using a S-video from the reciever to the tv right?

My receiver is built into my tv set, I always get odd looks when I tell people this, but it's true. So, the satelite cable goes right from the wall to the "satelite in" of the tv.

wbuffetta said:
The Grainy Picture Is Noise. It's Your Cable From The Dish. Make Sure ALL Your Cable Is satellite RG6. Make Sure ALL Connections Are Tight.
Remember There Is Electricity Going Through Your Cable To The Dish, So Make Sure Any Cable To Cable Connections Are Not In Contact With Carpets Or Something Else That Can Produce Static.

I don't see any markings on the cable from the dish to the splitters, it's the cable that has the ground wire attached to it, like you get with the "self-installation" kits. The only cable that is marked is the ones from the wall to the tv's and that is marked RG6.

Mike500 said:
Although the physical quality of the new dishes is not as good as the original Channel Master DirecTV dishes, it has very little to do with signal quality.

If you are using the channel 3/4 connection with coaxial cable from the receiver to the TV set, it might be that there is co-channel interference between the signal from the receiver to the TV. An very high level OTA signal of any kind will cause interference.

The cable goes directly from the wall into the receiver that is built right into the tv set.

scott5626 said:
How strong of a signal are you getting? Did the lines get split alot? Is it the same Quality Coax?

When I was checking signal strength through the menu, it said that it was getting between 91 and 94.

As far as I can tell, it only looks like the lines were split twice and it is the same quality coax. I can write down the splitter #'s if you want or if that would help?

All of the connections seem tight and look like a very professional job, but I just don't understand how my picture is not as good.

Oh, by the way, not sure if this matters, but the dish is mounted to a pole, not on the side of the house.

bbernhardt said:
When I was checking signal strength through the menu, it said that it was getting between 91 and 94.

As far as I can tell, it only looks like the lines were split twice and it is the same quality coax. I can write down the splitter #'s if you want or if that would help?

All of the connections seem tight and look like a very professional job, but I just don't understand how my picture is not as good.

Oh, by the way, not sure if this matters, but the dish is mounted to a pole, not on the side of the house.

You can't split satellite signal. Splitters filter out the signal. If there's splitters in line, something is really wrong.

You can always have some breaks in the line (For Instance) Cable plate on the wall would be considered a break, or a ground loop would also break up the signal. But this is fine and shouldn't cause any problems.

This may sound like a silly question but have you calibrated your tv using Avia or simular calibration DVD since you have moved?
You would need to do this when lighting conditions change.

Other than whats been brought up It has to be something with the install, maybe a bent coax, staple through, slight misalignment of Dish, possible bad lobe or loose lobe connection.

scott5626 said:
You can always have some breaks in the line (For Instance) Cable plate on the wall would be considered a break, or a ground loop would also break up the signal. But this is fine and shouldn't cause any problems.

This may sound like a silly question but have you calibrated your tv using Avia or simular calibration DVD since you have moved?
You would need to do this when lighting conditions change.

Other than whats been brought up It has to be something with the install, maybe a bent coax, staple through, slight misalignment of Dish, possible bad lobe or loose lobe connection.

I went around and tightened all of the connections I could, which most were already tight. Last night, the picture seemed to look good, I think I will hunt around for a calibration dvd. We have the normal electronic stores around here, ie Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.. From their websites, they don't show anything in stock, but figured I'd go visit to be sure. I could always order it online, if nothing else.

Thanks for all the help Guys!

Status
Please reply by conversation.