quesitons about relocating my dishes

waltah

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
NE Ohio
right now i have 2 dishes on my roof which i would like to bring down to ground level and pole mount. line of sight is perfectly clear where id like to move them. mainly because there are wires running down the side of my house from where they are mounted and i really just dont like them on the roof.

so my questions:

1) will dish charge me to move them off my roof

2) is it possible that i could do it myself? I was a field tech for my local cable company a few years ago and am very familiar with coax connections. so that isnt a concern. and i doubt id have and trouble mounting them. I have a 2 story deck that has a large beam i can bolt them to.

my only concern is re-aiming them per say. i have no clue how id get them peaked again.

You should get charged to have someone come out to move your Dish. You can move the dish on your own if you'd like but you may find it frusterating.

im pretty handy, can you elaborate on what would be frustrating?

the only thing that concerns me is pointing them after moving them.

No clue what you are talking about :) , hence the reason im worried about getting them pointed again.

is there somewhere that i can find that info within my receiver?

im pretty handy, can you elaborate on what would be frustrating?

the only thing that concerns me is pointing them after moving them.

Hi, if you are handy and don't mind spending some time learning how to setup and point the dishes I say go for it! The first thing to do is to go to dishpointer.com and enter your location then check the satellites you will be using. I don't have my dish receiver anymore but I think you can list the satellites in current use by hitting menu 6-1-1 or is that 6-1-3? Write done the satellites then go to dishpointer and check the new location you plan to use in your yard ( you can zoom way in and the X can be moved by dragging with the mouse).

Depending on what dish you are using you may find it useful to use the aluminium foil trick to block the outer LNBs so you do not receive the wrong satellite. Simply wrap the LNBs you want to block with the foil then peak on the correct satellite.

Check the old mast after you remove the dish and make sure it was plumb. If it was not you will need to double check the skew and elevation because they would be off to compensate for the crooked mast.

You might want to pick up a cheap squeal satellite finder - the meter built into the receiver can be very slow on some of the receiver models and it can be very hard to first find the satellite. The squeal meter really helps rough in the dish then you can finish peaking using the meter built into the satellite receiver.

Plane on taking one receiver and a small TV out to the dish location - this really helps with the peaking.

Good luck, DC

Hi again, just had a thought - if you have two dishes now you might consider starting with the wing dish ( the one with a single LNB) and move it to the new poll mount then try to aim it by hooking up one receiver and a small TV. See if you can figure it out and peak it. If you can't at least you would still have most of your programming (mostly SD) until you can get a tech out to peak the dishes.

If you are able to get it working and can get a good peak with strong signal quality then you can try the other dish.

Does that make sense? DC

makes sense to me. im going to take another gander at it when i get home to see if i feel like tackling it

The pointing of the Dish is what can be frusterating. Without having a meter to look at when pointing the Dish it can be difficult. I use to set up a dish for tailgating every week and it was an adventure. I repointed my dish this spring and used a meter which made the job very easy.

makes sense to me. im going to take another gander at it when i get home to see if i feel like tackling it

OK if you have the home protection plan it will only cost 15 (I think) to get it done. On top of that they will most likely be able to replace it with a single dish instead of having to have 2. Best way to tell is menu 6-1-1 check switch. The check switch screen will show all 3 on 1 page.

ill give them a buzz to see how much it is to move them. i think i have the service plan but im not sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts