Question 4u MR.ICE, how good of a signal can I get at 99w with 1m ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pro96

You Member, Member ?
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 18, 2005
OC
Just wondering since you have pretty much tested all possible way with all kinds of dish sizes. What kinda signal average did ya get using a 1m dish at 99w C band side?

I know that you might get more/less then me been in the west, but just want to get your readings. If you have a link with this already covered shoot me one. Asking caz its Hard to search via my mobile phone..hehe

Thanks.

I tried a 36" dish and could lock World Harvest and that was about it
Also tried a 40x30 primestar and got WHT & the syndicated feeds...nothing else

OK.. got cha. Thanks for 411.

Ama give it a try with the following at 99w

BSC421
100CM Winegard Dish
HH120 Motor
Ghetto pallet mount. :eek:

and lets see what pops there.

I also have a 1.2m dish but the pole diameter for this puppy is 3 inches.

As soon as I get this mounted I will post pictures, and yes I do have a camera, not like some posts lol.

Last edited:
OK.. got cha. Thanks for 411.

Ama give it a try with the following at 99w

BSC421
100CM Winegard Dish
Ghetto pallet mount. :eek:
nothing wrong with a ghetto pallet :)

and lets see what pops there.
try for World Harvest then go from there. Those religious channels are strong (wonder why...must be higher power)

As soon as I get this mounted I will post pictures, and yes I do have a camera, not like some posts lol.
yes please do

I thought the answer for 99º, was: "not on a 1m dish".
Guess I was wrong.
Here's Linuxman's experimental info using a 1m Primestar.
Your mileage may vary . . . :rolleyes:

nice find, I might need the Conical Scalar Ring for better results.

ICEBerg: OH and one more thing added to my 1m setup.

HH120 Motor will be also used on that ghetto mount :)

improve your luck:

If ya have a 1.2m, and you're serious about C-band enough to buy a conical scalar, then why not go with the bigger dish?
From what I've read, the difference is night 'n day!
And the good news is, you may not even have to go with Sadoun's DG380 motor for the 1.2m dish.... :)

But regardless, here is another tidbit for fine-tuning with a flat scalar, just to help you out:

ACradio and flat scalar tune-up on mini-bud:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...g-c-band-my-1-2-meter-dish-2.html#post1735458

OK here is my ghetto mount + pole + Winegard 100cm dish. I have not mounted the C-band LNB yet since its Laker time hehe.

The mount I purchased from ebay that is an actual Starband 2 3/8" pole with very strong arm supports (better then what my Directv slimline has).

Attachments

• starband mount.JPG
    starband mount.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC00782.JPG
    DSC00782.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC00781.JPG
    DSC00781.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC00780.JPG
    DSC00780.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC00779.JPG
    DSC00779.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC00778.JPG
    DSC00778.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC00777.JPG
    DSC00777.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC00776.JPG
    DSC00776.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC00775.JPG
    DSC00775.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 254
I had a mast setup like that when I got one of my Primestar dishes...them supports are sturdy

also nice pics but what size is that one dish in the background (the looks like a c-band dish)?

If ya have a 1.2m, and you're serious about C-band enough to buy a conical scalar, then why not go with the bigger dish?
From what I've read, the difference is night 'n day!
And the good news is, you may not even have to go with Sadoun's DG380 motor for the 1.2m dish.... :)

But regardless, here is another tidbit for fine-tuning with a flat scalar, just to help you out:

ACradio and flat scalar tune-up on mini-bud:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...g-c-band-my-1-2-meter-dish-2.html#post1735458

Well I have a 6ft that has cband all over, so just testing a 1m. And I do have a 1.2m but the darn thing uses 3" pole and I do not have a proper mount.

Might have a muffler shop solder me an adaptor from 3" to 2 3/8" to use that 1.2m of mine.

stay tuned hehe

also nice pics but what size is that one dish in the background (the looks like a c-band dish)?

Thats a 3ft prime focus made by Panarex in the 90's. With its own ring mount.
I did list it here for sale in 07 and no one got it. (good thing cause it has seen use since then lol)

another idea:

Yea, by all means try the center-focus dish.
Your existing LNBF will match it with a flat scalar, right off the bat.

And another thing for your pallet job....if you're not going to use the motor just yet . . .
I'm sure you've read about it, but why not tilt the top of your mast back north by about your latitude?
Then, the dish'll track the arc.
All you have to do is swing the dish's azimuth to go from bird to bird.
Even takes care of skew, too. :cool:

I know you said you were going to put on the motor, but since you hadn't yet, I thought I'd bring this up.

Yea, by all means try the center-focus dish.
Your existing LNBF will match it with a flat scalar, right off the bat.

And another thing for your pallet job....if you're not going to use the motor just yet . . .
I'm sure you've read about it, but why not tilt the top of your mast back north by about your latitude?
Then, the dish'll track the arc.
All you have to do is swing the dish's azimuth to go from bird to bird.
Even takes care of skew, too. :cool:

I know you said you were going to put on the motor, but since you hadn't yet, I thought I'd bring this up.

Interesting tip pal, thanks for that. Yes I will be putting an HH120 motor on it. Part of my house has a semi flat roof so my plans is to place the pallet there for bird to bird search. Might have some open time to do it this weekend, unless family/friends show up unexpectedly and you know how that goes. :D

why dont you try that too?

It might get you the uber strong stuff

Thought about it, but the original scalar is very small and the arm's tips are kinda weird. Might have to fabricate some new arms to accommodate the Cband scalar.

Ama post some pictures from this particular 3ft Prime focus dish. It has a unique KU LNBF that unscrews open to fit into its own scalar, kinda cool.

Well with WS becoming a gold sponsor, I purchased the DMX741 combo last night for my 1m dish. Conical + Ring + DMX741 Standard. It can also be used on a 1.2m I have laying around as soon as the 3" mount is accomplished.

Looks like the 421 LNB will be heading back to the garage for now.

Just received my order from WS.. now I can test my 1m and then the 1.2m thereafter.

Attachments

• WSa.jpg
    WSa.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 231
  • wsb.jpg
    wsb.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 186
sweet. Keep us updated :)

Man I just got home and my 1m winegard dish does not have the proper hole at the tip of the LNB arm to mount the cband clamp to it. So might take me longer then I thought hehe.

BTW: ice, 10-4 on the PM. I will check and get back at ya

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts