Question about 0/12v switching

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Labgate

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Hello

I bought a couple of months ago a 0/12v switch. I want to use it to put more lnbs into my receiver. (I'm at 16 and wait to go more).

I'm searching for a receiver that has a 0/12v connector. However I sent an email message at Sadoun asking them which receiver has this connector.

Here is the answer they gave me

"There isn’t a special connector for the 0/12v Switch. Rather, you hook it into the coax cable line going from your dish to your receiver. All of our receivers support the 0/12v switch in this manner."

I love the Sadoun site but I'm not sure about this answer. How could a mercury II receiver for example send a 12v pulse at the same time it sends dc for the lnb at 13 or 18 volts.

I know I could use a 2kzh switch (and I already do) and a diseqc switch (I already do too) but I need a receiver supporting this switch.

Is the technical support at Sadoun right, I would not want to buy a mercury II receiver and not being able to do what I want.

Best regards

Labgate

My coship 2300b has an 0/12v outlet that takes a RCA cable fitting. I just took an extra RCA video or audio cable, cut it in half and split the wires. The RCA plugin went into the outlet and then the two wires went one each to each terminal of the 0/12v switch. Works just fine for switching and very reliable.

SD

psb

this is what I think also. but the answer from Sadoun's technical support made me doubt of myself

Labgate

whoever sent you the reply to your question was wrong in his/her answer. Could you PM me the name so that I can educate them on how this switch works.

The 0/12V switch will require a separate voltage source on the back of the receiver (not all receivers come equiped with a 0/12V connectors).

It accutally says that on the page (see item#3 here: http://sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Switches/DiSEqC-Switches.htm )

See example on back of this receiver
http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Fortec-Star/Receivers/Fortec7.jpg

Learned something new today! :) I had wondered how that worked. Now, is it possible to hook a separate 12v power supply (such as a power injector) to a run of coax to operate the switch manually? (if one doesn't have a 0-12v capable receiver and wants to add a 12v switch)

Hello

You don't send it by the coax cable. What I would do (and I think I will test it),is take a 12 v power supply and have an off/on switch(like one you use to open close the lights in a room).

I connect the power supply to the switch and I open or close the circuit with my on/off switch.

I suppose the presence or absence of current there will make the 0/12 v switch react accordingly and alternate between the two inputs.

Best regards

Labgate

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)