Question about 72 local swap: free HD replacement?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

neale

Original poster
May 1, 2008
I apologize if this has already been asked in some form, but I want to be sure I understand it correctly. I have two H21s and a D11, and I just received a new receiver from D* the other day that will replace the D11 as part of the 72.5 local channel/MPEG-4 transition. My concern though is that D* sent me an H23, which is an HD receiver. Even though they say this is free, they have given me an HD receiver for an SD receiver, and I'm wondering if consequently I'm going to have to pay extra for the lease. In other words, do I suddenly get a new HD receiver (with HD channels) at no extra charge or will there be extra fees now or later on because my SD receiver has been replaced by a HD receiver?

I would greatly appreciate clarification on the issue. Thank you all!

because your locals moved from 72.5 (in MPEG2) to 99 or 103 (in MPEG4) the D11 will not receive the locals. The H23 can receive the locals now. If they sent it to you to swap out there are no extra fees and no additional contract.
The reason you are getting a HD receiver is SD only receivers cannot see MPEG4.

The cool part is if you decide to get additional receivers you buy the SD version (which is cheaper) and they send you a HD model (due to the MPEG4 locals issue)

Side note...do you have to send the D11 back to them?

Thanks for your help. Yeah, they've asked me to send the D11 back.

Ah man I should have ordered a SD receiver. I ordered the HD one :( Oh well. They sent me an H21 so I had to order another DECA adapter.

yep. Looks like your market (CR/Wtl) is also a MPEG4 market
July 27, 2011
Cedar Rapids-Waterloo, IA

Yeah that is how I got the 2 HD DVRs when I installed the setup 2 years ago. I didn't even think to order the SD one :) Well actually I did, but I figured they would send my the SD receiver :)

Two years ago they would have sent you an SD receiver. Then this year they would have replaced it free of charge with an HD one, when 72.5 went away..

The techs work order will have him install a Slimline dish if you don't have one already. Here plenty of folks had a combination of HD and SD receivers operating on 2 round dishes. Some had a Slimline and the round 72.5 dish for locals on however many SD receivers they had. If you don't already have a Slimline hopefully you weren't paying for HD access (seen that, too, believe it or not.). Installation of the Slimline doesn't mean will be seeing an HD picture unless you order HD access, which will cost you another $10 a month.

in July 2009 when I installed my system I got 2 HD DVRs for the SD price (i free and 1 $99) since we were in the HD market back then. I just figured with my luck they would send the HD unit. Oh well, I like it :)

Two years ago they would have sent you an SD receiver. Then this year they would have replaced it free of charge with an HD one, when 72.5 went away..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts