Question about 722 fees and OTA tuners

LarryH

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Hi all,

Can anyone help answer these two questions about the 722:

1) The 622 has a HD Enablement fee, the 942 does not. Does the 722 have a HD Enablement fee?

2) How many OTA tuners does the 722 have (the 942 only had one).

Thanks,
Larry

Hi all,

Can anyone help answer these two questions about the 722:

1) The 622 has a HD Enablement fee, the 942 does not. Does the 722 have a HD Enablement fee?

2) How many OTA tuners does the 722 have (the 942 only had one).

Thanks,
Larry

1) The HD enabling fee is only applicable if you have the HD package without having one of the SD packages.

2) The 722 only has 1 OTA tuner (as does the 622 and the 942).

Bottom line, the 722 and the 622 are basically the same receiver (the 722 has a larger hard drive).

The ViP622 and ViP722 fees and features are the same except for the Dish'n it Up fee which is $50 more for the ViP722.

The ViP series receivers have one digital OTA tuner.

Note that the 942 has no "HD Enabling fee" because you cannot enable HD on it.

I thought the HD enabling fee was for when you subscribed to SD but NOT HD.

ViP722 has a larger HDD, is black, and is reported to have a more recent Broadcom chipset that produces a bit sharper image and better facilitates IPTV.

I thought the HD enabling fee was for when you subscribed to SD but NOT HD.

ViP722 has a larger HDD, is black, and is reported to have a more recent Broadcom chipset that produces a bit sharper image and better facilitates IPTV.

Crap, i think you're right. I had it backwards I guess. Sorry :confused:

The "HD enabling fee" is not to enable your DVR to receive HD. It's to enable you DVR to even work in the first place if you DO NOT BUY ANY HD.

Buy an HD package, no enabling fee.

Don't buy an HD package, pay the enabling fee, and your receiver will work for SD and also for HD you bring in with an OTA antenna. You only have one OTA tuner so you'll only be able to record one HD program at a time (but you can record two more SD channels simultaneously via the satellite tuners).

Don't buy an HD package, don't pay the enabling fee, and you own (rent) a very large doorstop.

I don't think you can just pay the enabling fee any not buy ANY programming packages. In order to get one of these 622's or 722's you have to agree to 18 months of programming (even the cheapest package qualifies - HD not required). I'm not sure what would happen after that 18 months ... could you continue on paying ONLY the enabling fee? For that you'd get one OTA tuner and recording capabilities (although no guide data unless you purchased locals - I don't think you can purchase just locals with not some SD package either, but I didn't investigate that part).

Hi all,

Thanks for the info. These two "features" were the reason why I haven't yet upgraded my 942 to a 622. Sounds like the 722 is very similar to the 622. Thanks for all the info.

Larry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts