Question about 97w and signal strenth 33" dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
beatle0974 said:
Hey Guy's,

Well, I think I have found my problem. I took a measuring tape out to the dish, went from left to right, and seems I only have a 30" dish (i measured with the tape tight from left to right) This probably explains my signal issues.

What is the height of the reflector? Depending on the reflector design, the actual active surface area might even be considerably less than the measured surface area.

I measured it at 30"H and 34V. I don't think I'm going to waste anymore time until I try a larger dish. Thanks for all your help.

Try another LNB before wasting money on a larger dish. I get 254 channels off of 97w with a $6 LNB on a 30" dish. Another thing I would try first is moving the dish to 101w or 95w. The Hotel networks on 101w and the CCTV channels are easy to get. I get a good signal on a 20" dish so with the 30" it should be strong.

dish for 97 west

Toronto canada on the 97 west ku at ontario 36 inch dish. The 33 inch ok for the old 101 w butt for the portugues channel on the 97 the signnal only 62 to 58 so same times no signal.I change the 33 inchs to the portugues in toronto area to 36 inch signal 90

I get the same symptoms with both my LNB's, one Standard Linear, and one Universal. I also tried two different receivers. Signal pretty much always the same, on the transponders that work.

Try another LNB before wasting money on a larger dish. I get 254 channels off of 97w with a $6 LNB on a 30" dish. Another thing I would try first is moving the dish to 101w or 95w. The Hotel networks on 101w and the CCTV channels are easy to get. I get a good signal on a 20" dish so with the 30" it should be strong.

If both reflectors are of similar design with good surface accuracy and designed for single satellite reception, the taller dish will provide better Signal Quality when there is minimal interference from an adjacent satellite, but a wider dish can attenuate adjacent satellite interference and provide better Signal Quality if nearby satellites are an issue.

When the dish is 90cm or larger I would choose a taller dish for the attenuation of ground noise as these larger dishes usually are already 2 degree compliant and effectively attenuate off-axis signals from adjacent satellites. It really is six of one, half-dozen of the other....

I believe that it is much more important to choose the greater surface area with a high efficiency reflector, accurate surface and quality hardware over choosing a reflector with increased horizontal or vertical axis.

It's common for non-commercial dishes in the 20..40 inch range, to be a little taller than wide, and measured for their height.
A commercial 36" dish would be 36" wide, and a few inches taller.
A Fortec and many other home-use dishes, would simply be 36" tall, and labeled: 36.
That's one reason the "primestar" and other surplus commercial dishes seem to outperform their competition.
This is not to say a 36"-labeled dish isn't good, but just something to be aware of.

The 1.2m dishes (4-feet wide) seem to conform to commercial measurements.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)