Question about a 522 loosing signal

FredC

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Chicago, IL
I have a question for all you experts. I have a 522 with 2 seperate feeds (Direct from the LNB to the 522). During the day, everything is fine. At nite, I lose the 119 sat, but only on tv 1. While I get no picture ( signal lost messsage) on tv1 (channel 105 for example) I can go to tv 2, turn on channel 105 and get it fine. Ok, I've got a cable problem, right? I switched the cables (tv1 to tv-2, tv2 to tv-1) and for a day, everything was fine. Then same problem. Ran a check switch and everything came up "good". Min. signal strenght on any transponder on the 119 sat is 90 or better, with a few at 125. The 110 sat is a little lower, with the lowest being around 85, highest about 110. Dish is sending a "rebuilt" 522. The unit I have is a new one, about 4-6 weeks old. Two questions:

1- Did I miss something I can check? Does it seem like the 522 is bad?

2- Is a "rebuilt" 522 really "better then a new one" or should I demand another new unit?

Thanks to all who take the time to respond!

You can demand a new unit, but you'll get a new replacement (reman.) Customer Service doesn't have the ability to ship fresh off the line receivers. Remans in SOME regards are considered better than new in that they've been checked out more than once and most of the bugs if not all should have been addressed.

I have a question for all you experts. I have a 522 with 2 seperate feeds (Direct from the LNB to the 522). During the day, everything is fine. At nite, I lose the 119 sat, but only on tv 1. While I get no picture ( signal lost messsage) on tv1 (channel 105 for example) I can go to tv 2, turn on channel 105 and get it fine. Ok, I've got a cable problem, right? I switched the cables (tv1 to tv-2, tv2 to tv-1) and for a day, everything was fine. Then same problem. Ran a check switch and everything came up "good". Min. signal strenght on any transponder on the 119 sat is 90 or better, with a few at 125. The 110 sat is a little lower, with the lowest being around 85, highest about 110. Dish is sending a "rebuilt" 522. The unit I have is a new one, about 4-6 weeks old. Two questions:

1- Did I miss something I can check? Does it seem like the 522 is bad?

2- Is a "rebuilt" 522 really "better then a new one" or should I demand another new unit?

Thanks to all who take the time to respond!
#1 I doubt you ever had a NEW 522 they haven't been built in over a year the 625 replaced the 522. A reman will replace the current unit with a 50/50 chance of working correctly especially if you are using software L413.

Sorry, I'm not trying to keep this going, but I thought I'd let you all in on what I found. Have you ever heard of this?
If TV 2 tuner is turned on before TV 1, TV 1 will not get the 119 sat. at all. If you turn off TV 2, then turn off the box, turn TV 1 on first, you get everything without a problem on both recievers. If you turn off TV 1 while it is getting 119 and TV 2 tuner is on, turn TV 1 back on, no 119 sat.
I just got my "refurb" 522 from Dish and I'll hook it up today, hopefully fixing this, but I thought this was kinda weird and would put it out there. Have a great day.

Sorry, I'm not trying to keep this going, but I thought I'd let you all in on what I found. Have you ever heard of this?
If TV 2 tuner is turned on before TV 1, TV 1 will not get the 119 sat. at all. If you turn off TV 2, then turn off the box, turn TV 1 on first, you get everything without a problem on both recievers. If you turn off TV 1 while it is getting 119 and TV 2 tuner is on, turn TV 1 back on, no 119 sat.
I just got my "refurb" 522 from Dish and I'll hook it up today, hopefully fixing this, but I thought this was kinda weird and would put it out there. Have a great day.

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. I've gone through about half a dozen of these darned 522's in 3 years.