Question about a 921?

tempVAdish

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Temperanceville, VA
Greetings All!

I'm having trouble with screen centering in 720P and 1080i, using my 921 and the DVI out. If I switch it to 480P, the centering looks fine. I have tried using the screen position under viewing preferences, but when I get the 2 HD modes centered, 1/2 of the time on the banner is missing. My first thought was that it was my TV, but connected the OTA antenna directly to the TV tuner and the 1080i local broadcast is centered. My question, is there a service menu that will allow me to shift the 921's graphics without moving the picture? I'm looking to center the picture, then center the graphics manually.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Thanks Simon, I was afraid of that. I was thinking back to my tv repair days and they actually had a hidden set of menus that you could adust the horiz position of the OSD.:(
Rob

Actually before the L215 software release you were able to adjust the overlay without affecting the main screen. Since L215 overscan got worse and view pref screen positioning moves everything.

What I did was adjust so that EPG had no character clipping on the bottom, left and right portions on the screen. However this caused 4:3 screens to be off centered. If they ever fix the excessive overscan problem everyone will be happy again.

i have the same problem on my 811. I can get it set up when I have it on 1080i but if I switch to 480p it is way off center. I have my 811 hooked up with a DVI cable, doubt that makes a difference compared to component though.

BrettTRay said:
I have my 811 hooked up with a DVI cable, doubt that makes a difference compared to component though.
I have the 921 and found that the component displayed even greater overscan than the DVI did. Used HDNet test pattern for comparisons. The positioning problem is most likely the same with either cable but if overscan was perfect then I wouldn't have to even mess with the positioning in the first place.

tempVAdish said:
Greetings All!
I'm having trouble with screen centering in 720P and 1080i, using my 921 and the DVI out. If I switch it to 480P, the centering looks fine. I have tried using the screen position under viewing preferences, but when I get the 2 HD modes centered, 1/2 of the time on the banner is missing. My first thought was that it was my TV, but connected the OTA antenna directly to the TV tuner and the 1080i local broadcast is centered. My question, is there a service menu that will allow me to shift the 921's graphics without moving the picture? I'm looking to center the picture, then center the graphics manually.
Thanks in advance,

Rob
The 921 is a boat anchor...IMO

dishcomm said:
The 921 is a boat anchor...IMO
Must be a Ham guy,
I bought the 921 second hand because I wanted more than 2 HD channels (what I was getting with my OTA), and didn't want to shell out for the 942. Outside of the 4x3 off center in 1080, and the occasional reboot, I've not had much to complain about. I do wish you could record from all 3 tuners simultaneously, simply because my wife usually wins out with her recording :)
Rob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)