Question about blind scan on Coolsat 5k

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

badpistacio

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
Monterey, CA
I'm still only aiming at 119W until I get another dish and I'm playing around with the settings on the coolsat 5000. When I blind scan that satellite the default settings for TP says: 12200 - 12200. When I checked the LyngSat specs for 119W, it says the TP goes from 12224 to 12516. So should I reset the numbers on the receiver to span the numbers from the LyngSat site. Will doing this let me scan all that's available? I'm a little confused about this.

Sorry if this is such a newbie question.

its not a newbie question ;)

What software version are you running? I know the approved 3rd party factory stuff we've posted before there was a glitch in version .03 that when you blind scanned a DBS satellite it defaulted to 12200-12200 instead of the norm which is 12200-12700. That was fixed in version .04

I'm still only aiming at 119W until I get another dish and I'm playing around with the settings on the coolsat 5000. When I blind scan that satellite the default settings for TP says: 12200 - 12200. When I checked the LyngSat specs for 119W, it says the TP goes from 12224 to 12516. So should I reset the numbers on the receiver to span the numbers from the LyngSat site. Will doing this let me scan all that's available? I'm a little confused about this.

Sorry if this is such a newbie question.

Badpistacio,

That was a slight mistake by the programmer. You can manually set the upper limit to 12700 and it will scan fine. Or you can upgrade the FTA firmware to version 004 or higher, this will correct it and the default upper range will be 12700.

Actually, you may set the lower and upper frequencies to any range you desire (well, provided they are valid frequencies and the upper is not less than the lower).

RADAR

I updated the firmware to .06 and that took care of the problem. On a side note, it's been fun getting a taste of FTA by aiming at 119w but boy, am I ever ready to get a bigger (motorized) dish and see something besides NASA and fifty channels telling me how to set up Dish Network!

I haven't been able to lock onto Ion. I can get Angel One and NASA but not Ion. Tomorrow I think I'll try to fine tune the aim and see if I can get it. Earlier someone suggested that I may need a bigger dish to get Ion.

It should work just fine with what you have

Its possible you have a DishPro LNB and that is why. DishPro uses bandstacked technology which takes the Horizontal frequencies and "stacks" them on the vertical.

Try this
see if you can blind scan from 12200-13370 vertical only and see if that works. It should scan in the H side on vertical

Iceberg, thanks for that info. I know the repurposed dish / lnbf was old technology sitting on the roof for several years.

BTW, you mentioned hockey in an earlier post. I'm a big hockey night in canada fan. Pretty good Winter Classic game today.

Iceberg, thanks for that info. I know the repurposed dish / lnbf was old technology sitting on the roof for several years.
Does the receiver lock any horizontal transponders?
examples are
12238 H 20000
12268 H 20000

BTW, you mentioned hockey in an earlier post. I'm a big hockey night in canada fan. Pretty good Winter Classic game today.
yeah it was a fun game. Hoping they bring it to Minneapolis soon :)

so you must have a bandstacked LNB

try this....and maybe my math might be wrong

try and manually enter this transponder
V

That is the frequency for 12238 on a bandstacked LNB

I just tried it on my Coolsat 5000 and it does accept the frequency

ok cool

so you do have a bandstacked LNB

so blind scan from 12200-13370 vertical only free only and you should get Ion

Ion would be on 13186 V 20000 (which is 12414 H)

to figure out a bandstacked frequency, take the horizontal frequency from 25600 and make it vertical

sweet :)

I knew the formula from awhile ago when I had bandstacked LNB's and a receiver that wouldnt accept an oddball LNB LO frequency. So I kinda lucked out :)

thats why I thought it was odd for the LNB to be DishPro when you mentioned
I know the repurposed dish / lnbf was old technology sitting on the roof for several years.

I'm not sure I follow. DishPro is bandstacked and is that and older type or a newer type?

I have two DishNetwork dishes that were left on the roof of a house I bought - one with the LNBF's removed and one with them intact. That's the one I'm using for FTA (until I get a bigger one with a motor). I assumed if I have the bandstacked one, it must "old" from the condition these dishes are in. :)

I'm not sure I follow. DishPro is bandstacked and is that and older type or a newer type?

I have two DishNetwork dishes that were left on the roof of a house I bought - one with the LNBF's removed and one with them intact. That's the one I'm using for FTA (until I get a bigger one with a motor). I assumed if I have the bandstacked one, it must "old" from the condition these dishes are in. :)

Badpistacio,

That depends on your reference point.

For DBS technology, bandstacking is now becoming old hat. Dish Network was using this quite a few years ago. I cannot say exactly when they adopted it, but at least prior to 2001.

LNBFs that were predecessors to DishPro and DishPro PLUS LNBFS were referred to as LEGACY LNBFs.

With a LEGACY LNBF, to change between the Vertical and Horizontal transponders, you had to send a DC voltage down the cable to switch the internal oscillator to one mode or the other (13v for vertical and 18v for horizontal).

With DishPro LNBFs, the LNBF is driven by 18v all the time, but there are two oscillators in the LNBF operating at all times, but at different frequencies. One outputs the vertical (or in DN DBS - the RH circular signals) and the other outputs the horizontal (the LH circular signals).

Both polarity signals are available on the same cable at the same time, but they are separated from eachother because their frequencies are unique to eachothers "bands". One band is stacked above the other, hence, band-stacked.

This has an advantage when using multiple receivers as both frequencies (or both vertical and horizontal signals) are available on the cable at all times and any receiver can just pick them off at will. So one cable run can be used for two receivers or one cable run for a dual tuner receiver.

There is more to the whole story than this, because DN's advanced DishPro LNBFs incorporated multiple LNBFs and internal switching so that you not only could get both polarities on one cable, but more than one satellite, as well.

The main advantage of band-stacking was simply less cable to run into a home. Fewer separate cables were required and they could actually reach further distances from the receiver, so a longer cable could be used to reach a more optimum installation point for the dish.

I am being rather vague with this information - there is mouch more to it, but it should provide a basic foundation and if you want to research the subject in detail to understand it more fully, you can find a lot of information with Google and searching here.

For FTA (or FSS) band equipment, there hasn't been a great deal done with bandstacking. There really wasn't a great market for it until recently. Most of us in the FTA hobby don't utilize DN equipment because the FTA signals are not in the DBS band (only a few that DN allows to slip by or which are mandated FREE channels like NASA). Bandstacking may become a valued technology for FTA use in the future.

Another, newer technology that may prove rather wonderful is optical LNBFs. INVACOM is working on just such a technology in recent years. Here, you could essentially have any number of LNBFs and any number of receivers and the cable run could be 1000's of feet between the dish/dishes and the receivers. A neat idea!

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.