Question about D* and my new LCD

Abyss

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Miami, FL
I just purchased a Samsung LN40A550 and just love it! My Oppo upconvert player looks fantastic. I do however have a problem with D*, I think. I've hooked my Oppo to both HDMI inputs and the problem isn't there. It's only with my D* receiver, H21. I've hooked up an old bat wing and my OTA locals don't do it either.

It happens mostly with blues and greens where there are patches of red pixels but it's never in the same place. I took a photo of it below. This only happens with D* and just has me wondering if this is common with Sat. compression and LCDs? I'm just concerned and want to trouble shoot this before my 30 day return is up, just in case something is wrong with the set.

Attachments

• artifacts.jpg
    artifacts.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 253
I've got a H21-200 and I haven't seen that. Have you tried component cables to see if it also happens with that interface?

Hmm, tried everything else so why not. I'll give component a shot and report back in a few.

Thank you so much rad. I tried the component cable and the picture is perfect. Looks like it's a problem with the HDMI connection on the H21. I don't know why I didn't try component sooner, guess I was on a one track thought and just needed a fresh perspective. Again, thank you.

Thank you so much rad. I tried the component cable and the picture is perfect. Looks like it's a problem with the HDMI connection on the H21. I don't know why I didn't try component sooner, guess I was on a one track thought and just needed a fresh perspective. Again, thank you.
NP, now the b*tch is trying to figure out if it's the H21 or the Samsung with the problem. I'd contact DirecTV and tell them about the problem and see what they want to do.

I'm 99% sure it's the H21. I had my Oppo hooked up with an assortment of HDMI cables with no problem, albeit the Oppo really is a DVI to HDMI connection. In fact tomorrow I am going to test all inputs, component, HDMI and USB on this set. Then I'll test the H21 on all 3 HDMI inputs with different cables.

FWIW

I have DirecTV "21" series units connected via HDMI v1.3a cables to both a Insignia LCD 37" (Best Buy in-house by LG ?) and Sanyo and Mits FPTVs without these issues. My neighbor I help get setup; has his connected the same to a Toshiba 65" DLP and Pany 50" plasma with no issues.

Last edited:
Well just for grins and giggles I ordered two more HDMI cables from mono price. So if my Oppo cable, my Acoustic Research cable and these two new ones from monoprice give me the same results then my next move will be to get D* to replace the H21. Trying to get this done in 30 days is going to be a bit of a rush. I still think it's the H21 but we'll see next week when the cables get here.

I think Gregg means that they have different specs; not that you must spend $99 just to get the needed spec cable. Maybe the user has a v1.2 or 1.3 and that a 1.3a cable would solve the issue.

Just wanted to update you guys. My new HDMI 1.3a spec cables arrived from Monoprice today, hooked one up and all is well. Gregg's comment got me to thinking and I did some digging and found my older AR cable to be 1.1 spec and of course my Oppo DVI to HDMI didn't present a problem. Thanks again guys for all your help.

hi guys

As far as I know (and I am relatively sure) there is no difference in cables in regard to HDMI spec (1.1 vs 1.3 etc). There are differences in the QUALITY of the cables though. Price doesnt always equate to quality and digital isnt simply digital (either passed or it isnt) in regard to HDMI cabling.

YMMV

Gregg

I wondered if it has to do with the increased bandwidth and addition of Deep Color?

From the HDMI FAQ

What’s new with HDMI v1.3 Specification?

* Higher speed: Although all previous versions of HDMI have had more than enough bandwidth to support all current HDTV formats, including full, uncompressed 1080p signals, HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future HD display devices, such as higher resolutions, Deep Color and high frame rates. In addition, built into the HDMI 1.3 specification is the technical foundation that will let future versions of HDMI reach significantly higher speeds.
* Deep Color: HDMI 1.3 supports 10-bit, 12-bit and 16-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 8-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification, for stunning rendering of over one billion colors in unprecedented detail.
* Broader color space: HDMI 1.3 adds support for “x.v.Color™” (which is the consumer name describing the IEC 61966-2-4 xvYCC color standard), which removes current color space limitations and enables the display of any color viewable by the human eye.
* New mini connector: With small portable devices such as HD camcorders and still cameras demanding seamless connectivity to HDTVs, HDMI 1.3 offers a new, smaller form factor connector option.
* Lip Sync: Because consumer electronics devices are using increasingly complex digital signal processing to enhance the clarity and detail of the content, synchronization of video and audio in user devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require complex end-user adjustments. HDMI 1.3 incorporates automatic audio synching capabilities that allows devices to perform this synchronization automatically with total accuracy.
* New HD lossless audio formats: In addition to HDMI’s current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and all currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby® Digital and DTS®), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™.

What functionality was added to each version of HDMI?

The following provides an overview of major functionality added to each version of HDMI:

HDMI 1.1:

* Support for DVD Audio.

HDMI 1.2:

* Adds features and capabilities that increase HDMI's appeal for use in both the CE and PC industries. Specifically, the features and modifications for HDMI 1.2 include: Support for One Bit Audio format, such as SuperAudio CD's DSD (Direct Stream Digital), changes to offer better support for current and future PCs with HDMI outputs, including: availability of the widely-used HDMI Type A connector for PC sources and displays with full support for PC video formats, ability for PC sources to use their native RGB color space while retaining the option to support the YCbCr CE color space, requirement for HDMI 1.2 and later displays to support future low-voltage (i.e., AC-coupled) sources, such as those based on PCI Express I/O technology.

HDMI 1.2a:

* Consumer Electronic Control (CEC) features and command sets and CEC compliance tests are now fully specified.
* Creation of version 1.2a of the HDMI Compliance Test Specification (CTS), which includes a CEC Supplement. HDMI CTS 1.2a has been updated for technical consistency with HDMI Specification 1.2a as well as to the recently released HDMI Specification 1.2.
* Significantly, CTS 1.2a contains additional cable and connector testing and Authorized Testing Center (ATC) submission requirements. Specifically, under CTS 1.2a, the Adopter shall submit for testing to the ATC any new HDMI cable whose length exceeds previously tested cables.
* Additionally, HDMI Licensing, LLC will maintain a list of approved connectors. For a device to pass CTS 1.2a testing at an ATC, all connectors on such device must appear on the approved connector list. To add a connector to this list, the vendor must submit to the ATC or HDMI Licensing, LLC full and passing testing results.

HDMI 1.3:

* Higher speed: HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future HD display devices, such as higher resolutions, Deep Color and high frame rates. In addition, built into the HDMI 1.3 specification is the technical foundation that will let future versions of HDMI reach significantly higher speeds.
* Deep Color: HDMI 1.3 supports 10-bit, 12-bit and 16-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 8-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification, for stunning rendering of over one billion colors in unprecedented detail.
* Broader color space: HDMI 1.3 adds support for “x.v.Color™” (which is the consumer name describing the IEC 61966-2-4 xvYCC color standard), which removes current color space limitations and enables the display of any color viewable by the human eye.
* New mini connector: With small portable devices such as HD camcorders and still cameras demanding seamless connectivity to HDTVs, HDMI 1.3 offers a new, smaller form factor connector option.
* Lip Sync: Because consumer electronics devices are using increasingly complex digital signal processing to enhance the clarity and detail of the content, synchronization of video and audio in user devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require complex end-user adjustments. HDMI 1.3 incorporates automatic audio synching capabilities that allows devices to perform this synchronization automatically with total accuracy.
* New HD lossless audio formats: In addition to HDMI’s current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and all currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby® Digital and DTS®), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™.