Question about DECA Ethernet performance

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Daniel Mendez

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2016
Bonaire, GA
So I have my Home Network + Internet connection being distributed to each room via the DECA adapters feeding my DirecTV receivers. Question is, what is the Ethernet performance like via DECA. I have not had a chance to do some network throughput testing but I was curious if anyone here has done so and can provide a little insight.

Thanks!

So I have my Home Network + Internet connection being distributed to each room via the DECA adapters feeding my DirecTV receivers. Question is, what is the Ethernet performance like via DECA. I have not had a chance to do some network throughput testing but I was curious if anyone here has done so and can provide a little insight.

Thanks!
Curious to know the why behind the question.

The DirecTV DECA device is only using the MoCA/coax connection for networking, and that's only taking up one port on a hub/router/switch, thereby not impacting (unless network storm) the rest of a wifi/LAN network.

Otherwise, I've heard the throughput is in the couple hundred MB range.

Curious to know the why behind the question.

The DirecTV DECA device is only using the MoCA/coax connection for networking, and that's only taking up one port on a hub/router/switch, thereby not impacting (unless network storm) the rest of a wifi/LAN network.

Otherwise, I've heard the throughput is in the couple hundred MB range.

Well the WHY is because I got a multi-level home where wifi strength tends to fade in some of the bedrooms and I don't have direct ethernet running to each room. So really the only viable option to distribute my internet and home network connection to the various rooms in my home was via DECA. I am also using a PowerLine adapter in one of the rooms which is also not that great. The reason I am concerned is because my ISP is in the process of running Fiber in our neighborhood and they should be coming in a couple of weeks to run the Fiber to my house and I have signed up for GigaBit internet service to my house. So I am just curious what types of speeds I should be able to achieve in some of the rooms in my house where I have the DECA adapters hooked into a switch with several devices hooked into the switch.

The ethernet port on the DECA adapter is limited to 100 Mb/s, so it sounds like that will be the limiting factor for you. The bandwidth for coax portion of the network is limited to about 250 Mb/s total throughput.

Still, much better than powerline in most cases.

The ethernet port on the DECA adapter is limited to 100 Mb/s, so it sounds like that will be the limiting factor for you. The bandwidth for coax portion of the network is limited to about 250 Mb/s total throughput.

Still, much better than powerline in most cases.

Yea, that's what I was afraid of, might have to invest in a Top Notch AC Router and see if I can get better speeds to some of my rooms wirelessly... As I understand it, ASUS still makes the BEST routers on the market, I was looking at the RT-AC88U. Looks like a beast.

Why don't you use a wifi repeater, or a second router running in bridge mode, to give you better wifi coverage.

Reactions: Dudleydog73
I use DECA to bridge some components from my entertainment center. For Netflix, gaming, or other video streaming, it works flawlessly. Those applications don't require anything above ~15-20 Mb/s. It's a very stable connection, too.

Well the WHY is because I got a multi-level home where wifi strength tends to fade in some of the bedrooms and I don't have direct ethernet running to each room. So really the only viable option to distribute my internet and home network connection to the various rooms in my home was via DECA. I am also using a PowerLine adapter in one of the rooms which is also not that great. The reason I am concerned is because my ISP is in the process of running Fiber in our neighborhood and they should be coming in a couple of weeks to run the Fiber to my house and I have signed up for GigaBit internet service to my house. So I am just curious what types of speeds I should be able to achieve in some of the rooms in my house where I have the DECA adapters hooked into a switch with several devices hooked into the switch.
Thanks for the reply.

I mistakenly assumed that you'd be running something like SWiM for your DirecTV setup and therefore wifi would be a different issue.

Sounds like others have done a great job of answering your questions.

Current Deca's are aproximately 85 Mb/s. new Decas should be coming soon that do Gb/s speeds this will allow more 4k and additional clients in the future.
That's awesome news, when will that be available? I assume as they start to roll out 4K and are doing installs for RBLNB and HR54+ in the future that they will also swap out DECA's...

Current Deca's are aproximately 85 Mb/s. new Decas should be coming soon that do Gb/s speeds this will allow more 4k and additional clients in the future.
Dont think so. Unless the newer receivers supports the newer MoCA protocol, there is no reason of DIRECTV to release higher speed DECAs. Also DIRECTV will be limiting the quantity of shows that can be "whole-homed" at any one time, I believe it will be limited to two streams making believe that DIRECTV is not planning on supporting the newer faster MoCA protocol, at least for the time being.

That's awesome news, when will that be available? I assume as they start to roll out 4K and are doing installs for RBLNB and HR54+ in the future that they will also swap out DECA's...
Unlikely I think. There's nothing about the HR54 and reverse LNB that would require faster DECAs.

Reluctant to drill my new home, I used DECA for Ethernet in three rooms. Then I thought it was rated at 150mbs. My TimeWarner feed is less than half that so so I never thought it made any difference. I've always thought wire was the way to go so I am down to just one room on DECA. Getting GBit fiber in the fall so I'll be all wire by then. I don't think speed has much to with quantity or quality anyway. Bandwidth is the issue. My TW is getting slower and slower as more and more people are sipping from the same small pipe.

DECA Ethernet over coax is a great alternative to WiFi especially in homes with lots of obstructions like concrete re-bar walls.

Reluctant to drill my new home, I used DECA for Ethernet in three rooms. Then I thought it was rated at 150mbs. My TimeWarner feed is less than half that so so I never thought it made any difference. I've always thought wire was the way to go so I am down to just one room on DECA. Getting GBit fiber in the fall so I'll be all wire by then. I don't think speed has much to with quantity or quality anyway. Bandwidth is the issue. My TW is getting slower and slower as more and more people are sipping from the same small pipe.

DECA Ethernet over coax is a great alternative to WiFi especially in homes with lots of obstructions like concrete re-bar walls.

Yea I will have Fiber next month and I will see how things go with the way I am distributing my network connections (mix of Wifi/DECA/Direct Ethernet). I think ill be fine i'll have the Full GB connection to my main router, PC, and NAS... after that I don't need full GB access at all my ancillary rooms (which will be for streaming from Internet/NAS anyhow).

... Also DIRECTV will be limiting the quantity of shows that can be "whole-homed" at any one time, I believe it will be limited to two streams making believe that DIRECTV is not planning on supporting the newer faster MoCA protocol, at least for the time being.

Huh?

Does this mean the Genies will be reduced to 2 simultaneous WH streams max. to mini clients and/or receivers instead of 3?

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

if you needed more bandwidth for a single room, you could hook it up separately with a deca on each end and one of those going straight to the router (provided your router is near where all the coax is run). but that seems a bit extreme because netflix's suggested speed for 4k is 20Mb iirc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts