Question About DirecTV 4K & The Future

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blackloz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Minot,ND
I'm a proud new owner of Panasonic's new EZ1000 OLED and it along with my other Panasonic sets from last year(I have two DX900's one at the Canadian home and one here that I just moved upstairs) are slated to receive the HLG update this year(Along with HDR10+ on the EZ1000) and I'm told it's used for broadcasting. Is this something that DirecTV would implement on their 4K stuff? Or is it something that the broadcasters would do? I'm still using my HR44 so I haven't upgraded to the 54 yet. I might do so as I have two 4K sets now in one house. Although that would mean installing the 54 in one of the bedrooms. I might not upgrade as even HD is phenomenal on the EZ1000 or the DX900. I'm not sure what use I'll get for HLG.

If you have two 4K sets now and need to upgrade your Genie I'd recommend getting the HS17/Genie2 since it can support two concurrent C61K/4K TV's. Right now all I've seen DIRECTV say is that they will support HDR10, nothing said about HDR10+ or DolbyVision.

Reactions: TermiNader
The HS17 wouldn't work for me as we have 9 tuners now and I don't want to go down. Not to mention the two HR24's & H24 we have at our Canadian home. If I upgrade I'll get a hold of my friend/local retailer and have him bring me out a 54 & two 4K clients and the new LNB. Him and I will install it then after I activate I'll return my 44 to DirecTV.

Note if you ever upgrade to a HS-17 you can only have Min's on your account! so all your other HX receivers will not longer be allowed on your account.

Reactions: sharppoint
I’m starting to wonder if more companies are going more towards HDR and not really worrying about 4k right now. Netflix did a big hdr update with iOS this morning.

Reactions: TermiNader
its illegal to receive direct in canada, just sayin

I'm aware but it's a non issue. I have a cousin who is a asst police chief in Canada and out of curiosity I asked him one time if the RCMP would actually go after end users and he had a good laugh. Once he realized I was serious he said absolutely not. They would go after dealers who set up shop and sell the service not end users.

I'm aware but it's a non issue. I have a cousin who is a asst police chief in Canada and out of curiosity I asked him one time if the RCMP would actually go after end users and he had a good laugh. Once he realized I was serious he said absolutely not. They would go after dealers who set up shop and sell the service not end users.
Yes, correct ...

Some have a misconception ...

It's actually "illegal for DIRECTV to broadcast or sell their service outside the U.S. or it's territories.

But it is technically against your customer "Terms Of Service" (or "TOS") to receive DIRECTV outside the U.S., which is nothing that concerns the police of that country. But is certainly nothing you would want to inform DIRECTV you're doing of course.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)