Question about Direcway satellites

divecorn

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
Just joined the system. Can't figure out exactly how to post a question ?
Anyway can anyone help with an answer to this question.

Am contemplating outright purchase of the new Hughes/Directway system with the HN7000 modem and the powerpack option coupled with the $69 pro package.

The supplier tells me that new subscriptions will be automatically commisioned to the IA-8 satellite. This will work fine for where I'm at now ( using a pole mount ) but I want to move later and reset my own pole and realign the dish.

My new locale is marginal for reception on IA-8 and I want to recommsion the connection at that time to either AMC-9 or SATMEX-5 or ......PREFERABLY ......... have the installer set it up right now at the initial installation to either of these 2 satellites.

1) Do the installer have the ability to commision to the satellite of my choice regardless of what Hughes is telling me ?
2) If I am stuck with the initial commision to IA-8 is there a way for ..... ME ...... to change it to one of the other satellites or will Hughes do it for me ?

Any help is appreciated ... dave

Last edited:
:) the installer is told which sat to commition it on. after that its a act of congress to change. the hn7000s so far is only on IA8 and IA6. if you get him to say you have directv on same dish and cannot get a clear view only then will they change Sat's. you can move the dish if you really know how to point it. its nothing like dish TV. much more complected. if you move the dish and get it installed to the point someone just has to fine tune it you can get someone out for $50-$75. i would highly suggest it !!!if its not pointed right it will shut down until hn unlocks it!!!! there new warranty does not include re pointing!!! they have a new $79 plan that's 200kbs-up 1.5 mb-down. something to consider $10 more for 500kbs faster down loads! good luck!

:) o so it works but just slower? will it ever work on other sats in the future? i really like satmex5. that's the last sat it will prob ever work on with my luck. they had us beta testing it on satmex5 though. got me thinking I'll ask that engineer when he returns on wed.

:) received this pm i thought we could all learn from. no need to pm this but the guy was new and didn't know how to yet.=
Thanks for the comeback but I'm still a little confused.
If the only birds that are available for this new system are either IA-6 or IA-8 how does Direcway determine which one to set you up on ?
I have the capability to re-align the system through friends who now how to do it but they have no experience with this new system.
You mention going to the next higher plan offer ? Why . I thought that by getting the powerpack option ( bigger dish) that you automatically getter higher speeds
What has been your experience with speed and connectivity.
I surf quite a bit ( downloads ) but my uploads would be limited to e-mails with picture attachments maybe up to 7Mg in size
Do you think I will be happy with Direcway for these needs.
Dave

:bow Tate is much better at this than me. I'm still learning a lot every day from him. thanks Tate for all your help! i was wrong on the sat its only one sat right now. the powerpack or larger dish does give better signal levels and does help with upload speeds being its 2watts. and rainfade will be at a min. but it will not help in the way your thinking. it's still worth the extra $300 if you can spare it. pointing this system is the same as any other direcway/hn system. i highly recommend you do the install but get someone that's truly is qualified to fine-tune the dish before you restore power! you will be happy with hn if you understand it. its not a replacement for anything other than dial up and slow dsl areas. if you can get good fast dsl or cable you should go that route. your spending a $1,000 on equipment and $70/mo service so i assume you have no other options. in this case its fantastic! there are delays in voip use and live games are not possible. they are working on the system to improve it everyday. i think most of the problems it did have are truly behind them and they are aggressively moving forward. i feel you should be very happy with it! please feel free to ask any questions. good luck!:welcome :wave

hobojoe said:
If the only birds that are available for this new system are either IA-6 or IA-8 how does Direcway determine which one to set you up on ?Dave

As of right now the default bird for EVERYONE is IA-6. Hughes changes this often "like every 2 or 3 months as transponders fill". As of right now the only satellite that will work with the HN7000s in 7000s mode is IA-6. You cannot get the ProPlus plan unless you are on this. Also you will not get the advantage of the modulation which helps on peak time performace.

hobojoe said:
I have the capability to re-align the system through friends who now how to do it but they have no experience with this new system.

Again the HN7000s will work on any satellite but will only work in 7000 mode as of right now. Hughes will eventrually have more transpoders to work in DVB-S2 mode.

hobojoe said:
You mention going to the next higher plan offer ? Why . I thought that by getting the powerpack option ( bigger dish) that you automatically getter higher speeds

The powerpack option will not get you higher speeds unless you move up to a business plan. The power pack option is only designed to provide higher signals and more power wattage on the transmitter for high weather areas.
[/QUOTE]

thanks for the clarification! did you see my post about the in-route group testing? i really believe this is the entire speed probelem dw/hn has had. every time i force to another group my speeds are excellent. what do you think?

hobojoe said:
thanks for the clarification! did you see my post about the in-route group testing? i really believe this is the entire speed probelem dw/hn has had. every time i force to another group my speeds are excellent. what do you think?

What version are you currently running now on the 7000s. 5.3.0.23 is the only version I have seen. Are they backtracking?:D

The 7000s modems are just what Hughes needs to stay above and beyond Wildblue. I have seen nothing but good things from them.

:) i had to send my dead HN7000S back for further evaluation. its has been subject to some brutal testing to see why it lost all signal. they have a few others doing the same this is the first one that once they got it it was still acting up. i just got word of a HN7700S on its way to me for the testing on IA6. doesn't it have a router and voip built in? and yes they are still testing on the beta units with software differant than the public released versions. i cannot wait to try it out on that sat. i will let you know when i get it!