Question about DLPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 24, 2004
I'm thinking of getting a DLP set. One thing I'm interested in is that the DLP isn't supposed to age like CRTs and CRT-RPTVs. I know the bulb will dim and have to be replaced, but when I stick in the new bulb, is it as good as new? How long will bulb last before PQ will suffer? The problem with CRTs is that they require yearly maintenance b/c the guns fall out of alignment, correct? Anyone's help is appreciated.

Thanks
CY

cyuhnke said:
I'm thinking of getting a DLP set. One thing I'm interested in is that the DLP isn't supposed to age like CRTs and CRT-RPTVs. I know the bulb will dim and have to be replaced, but when I stick in the new bulb, is it as good as new? How long will bulb last before PQ will suffer? The problem with CRTs is that they require yearly maintenance b/c the guns fall out of alignment, correct? Anyone's help is appreciated.

Thanks
CY

My understanding is just what you've said. The bulb will dim/burn out in x000 hours (depends on mf'r), you will replace it, and have a bright new perfect picture all over again. I am not aware of any other deterioration that routinely occurs over time. Stuck mirrors should continue to be a rare occurrence.

I don't think RP-CRTs "require" yearly maintenance. I used to redo convergence whenever I moved the tv, or if I noticed fuzziness or such. Some extended warranties (Tweeter for example) provide for a yearly cleaning/tweaking of the set, which would no doubt include a service-lever convergence.

DLP's are nice, but you better check one out and see if you are susceptible to rainbows before buying. I went with an LCD pj due to the rainbow issue, I got severe eyestrain and headaches from watching DLP.

You are correct, replacing the bulb makes them good as new. It's all done with mirrors, go here to learn more about DLP.

You do need to clean your filters about every 200 hours. The wind and dust in our part of the world will clog. Check to see if your Circuit City will let you demo and X1(infocus has a 10 day trial deal I believe). That will tell you if you or yours are rainbow susceptable.

DarrellP said:
DLP's are nice, but you better check one out and see if you are susceptible to rainbows before buying. I went with an LCD pj due to the rainbow issue, I got severe eyestrain and headaches from watching DLP.

You are correct, replacing the bulb makes them good as new. It's all done with mirrors, go here to learn more about DLP.

The second generation DLP's are much better. I have a Sharp and very rarely see the "Rainbow Affect" and that's because I know what to look for. None of my friends have ever noticed, plus they are in awe of the picture quality. I've seen video on every type of HD set there is, I'd go DLP every time be it front or rear projection.

The only problem I've ever heard of is the Red in the color wheel can fade over time.

Actually I was thinking of RP-DLP. I went to BB today. Looking at new 3rd Gen Samsungs. Really sweet PQ. How do you see rainbows? In the black areas? Quite panning of camera? I couldn't really see anything, but I only looked for about 20 minutes. Is dust a problem for rear projection? What do you do to clean it? It occasionally :) gets windy and dusty here in Lubbock. Thanks for all the help guys.

The rare times I've seen it has been when I've looked away from the screen quickly. Again most people never even notice it, don't let it keep you from getting a DLP if you decide that it's the best picture quality. If you've got a big enough room and have decent control of the light in your room, go with front projection. :D

cyuhnke said:
Actually I was thinking of RP-DLP. I went to BB today. Looking at new 3rd Gen Samsungs. Really sweet PQ. How do you see rainbows? In the black areas? Quite panning of camera? I couldn't really see anything, but I only looked for about 20 minutes. Is dust a problem for rear projection? What do you do to clean it? It occasionally :) gets windy and dusty here in Lubbock. Thanks for all the help guys.
Thought you were talking front projection, and the dust is a problem here 180 miles to the west :) we send you our dust...

joemama said:
The rare times I've seen it has been when I've looked away from the screen quickly. Again most people never even notice it, don't let it keep you from getting a DLP if you decide that it's the best picture quality. If you've got a big enough room and have decent control of the light in your room, go with front projection. :D
Went back this morning to BB to try corner of eye thing. Didn't see it. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. FP just isn't practical for me. Veiwing distance is only 9 feet. There are also various logistical problems such as placement, cable length, and mounting that I don't want to hassle with in an apartment. Thanks again guys. One day I hope to join you in the world of country clubs, fast cars, hot babes, and front projectors :)

I just recently purchased an LCD. I really wanted the Samsung DLP, but I continued to get headaches whenever I viewed them. I didn;t see rainbows, just got headaches. Happens with FP too.

I love the LCD, little bit of convergence error, but much easier on my eyes. I would suggest you go to avsforum and look around to learn about DLP artifacts befreo you decide.

You need to have high contrast images running, like a night scene with streetlamps or car headlights, then move your eyes quickly back and forth across the screen and you will see them. The Matrix was next to impossible to watch on DLP, but I am very susceptible to rainbow, YMMV.

I have the Samsung 50" DLP and the bulb is rated for 8000 hours. The smaller set is the same. The 60" is rated for 6000 hours.

As to rainbows.... Most people don't see them. The newest Samsung models with the 7 segment color wheel are supposed to be less susceptible to the rainbow effect. So for those who do see them, try looking at a new set and see if you still experience the problem.

Ive had my Samsung HLN437W for about a year now and I only remember seeing the "rainbows" twice. I couldn't be happier with this TV.

samsung dlp

I have been servicing the hlm and hln sets. The color wheel noise problem
is being fixed by replaceing the color wheel not the whole light engine so the price is not 1500.00 .The most common problem has been the lamp and ballast circuit board both needing to be replaced . The lamp is rated for 9000 hour before replacement. The set looks great with digital signal but not so good with anaolog but true with most digital sets. hope this helps.
tvguy

I have a Sammy HLN507W since last July. Neither the wife, nor I, nor any visitors, have ever seen a rainbow. I checked the AVS forum about rainbows rather extensively last fall and the best advice I saw was that if you see them so be it. If you don't, good. If you don't and you try real hard and finally see one, you will then see them all the time.

The wife and I chose the DLP/RP over LCD/RP because the DLP has a much wider effective viewing angle, has brighter color display (no soft wash out look), has better black definition (no crushed blacks), and deals with a lighted room much better (less screen glare and less color washout). These were important aspects as this DTV is in our family room adjacent to our nook and our seating positions are both at an angle to the screen. All that after we originally set out to buy a Sony LCD/RP and never owned anything from Samsung.

I love this DTV, but the color wheel noise is a problem. My high frequency hearing was left on an Army machine gun range many years ago, but the wife has super-sensitive hearing. She said the thing started screeching at startup last October. The service tech agreed with her and replaced the color wheel. Now it is screeching at cold startup again and even I can hear it. So, we will be calling service shortly. We got a 5 year service warranty on the Sammy, so unless they come up with a better color wheel, I guess we will replace it twice a year until 2008, then dump the set.

The other problem was noted by the service tech last fall when he opened up the set. These things really collect a lot of dust. They are particularly bad if you humidify your forced air heating in winter like many of up in Metro-Denver do. The lamp heat cause the minerals in the water to precipatate out all over the electronics in the path of the cooling ventilation.

It's a shame because this set delivers awesome HDTV and, with good wiring and a good power center, very good SDTV from DBS or OTA digital or analog signals. Read the manual carefully. A lot of the enhancement electronics aren't active when you are using a DVI input, as I do. But, I don't really see the need for any more enhancement.

You may find rainbows more pronounced if you watch something with captions. Thats where I notice them with DLP (older models though, I haven't used anything newer than a 1st gen).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts