Question About Family Pack, HD & Sports Pack

Status
Please reply by conversation.

clayface1000

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
After ten years as a Dish subscriber, they ticked me off one time too many a few months ago and I pulled the plug.

I'm now thinking of going with Directv and had a few questions. My interest in mostly in sports, so here we go --

1) Is there a minimum basic package still required? All I really want are my local RSN, the Sports Pack, and the HD pack.

2) Assuming there IS a requirement for a minimum basic package, will the Family Pack suffice? That is, if I subscribe to that, plus the Sports Pack, will I get all the RSNs, including my own? Or will get all the RSNs, EXCEPT for the one in my zip code?

3) Again, assuming the Family Pack suffices (if needed at all), will I get both ESPN-HD and ESPN2-HD as a part of the HD pack? I ask because as with the local RSN, ESPN & ESPN2 are NOT part of the Family Pack lineup. Therefore, would my addition of the Sports Pack and HD Pack give those channels to me without having to move up to a Total Choice package?

4) If there is no minimum basic package required, can I just subscribe to the Sports Pack and HD Pack alone? And again, if I can, would I still get my local RSN?

Thanks for any help with this.

clayface1000 said:
1) Is there a minimum basic package still required? All I really want are my local RSN, the Sports Pack, and the HD pack.

Unlike Dish they do not have many different package breakdows. They have a family (which would not do for your needs) Total Choice, Total Choice Plus and Total Choice Premire. Here is a comparison. Depending on the promo you use to sign up with, will determine your minimum needed, usualy Total Choice.

2) Assuming there IS a requirement for a minimum basic package, will the Family Pack suffice? That is, if I subscribe to that, plus the Sports Pack, will I get all the RSNs, including my own? Or will get all the RSNs, EXCEPT for the one in my zip code?

With the programming you mentioned up top, I don't think you would be getting that anyway.

3) Again, assuming the Family Pack suffices (if needed at all), will I get both ESPN-HD and ESPN2-HD as a part of the HD pack? I ask because as with the local RSN, ESPN & ESPN2 are NOT part of the Family Pack lineup. Therefore, would my addition of the Sports Pack and HD Pack give those channels to me without having to move up to a Total Choice package?

Somewhat correct; see above; don't get the family pack. You will save more money by just getting the bigger package.

4) If there is no minimum basic package required, can I just subscribe to the Sports Pack and HD Pack alone? And again, if I can, would I still get my local RSN? Thanks for any help with this.

No, there will be a minimum and you can't just a la cart sports programming like the old c-band days.

Last edited:
I think if you get the family pack plus the HD pak and the sports pak you would be set since the hd p[ak has espn and espn hd. Note: You can NOT subscribe to just sports and HD. You must have a minimum of the Family Pak.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll probably give them a call in the next day or two to see what they say and get things setup.

For what it's worth, Directv's website has a "build it yourself" feature that allows you to input various parameters, such as programming packages, equipment, etc. It did allow me to put in the Family Pack, Sports Pack and HD Pack together, so it was just a matter of whether it will deliver the channels I want. I calculated the cost of the higher priced, more inclusive packs, but this was still a lot cheaper.

I'm really spoiled. I can't stand watching non-HD programming and can't see myself watching FX or the Sci Fi Channel in SD. I'll tolerate it for sports, where it's often not an option for the events I want to see. Once Direct announced the carriage of HD baseball in the Extra Innings package, that put it over the top for me.

Footnote to the above. I subscribed with Directv this evening and took their Sunday Ticket promotional offer, with the intention of downgrading to Total Choice Plus after the four months is up.

You were right, Charper. It cost $4/month more than the Family Pack scenario I mentioned, and I wouldn't have to worry about the other issues like local RSN eligibility, etc.

All in all, I think I'm happy I switched. I was a diehard Dish guy, but I finally had it with them. Let's see how this goes...

Last edited:
Thanks, Rocko. There were a number of Dish issues that built up for me. There was the phone line charge, lease fee, DVR fee and their steadfast refusal to let me do my own upgrade installation (despite the fact that I had already done it!) --and then three missed installation appointments, which weren't needed to begin with. And then when I talked with the supervisor to cancel, she asked what would it take to change my mind? I said, I want a phone call or letter of apology from a bonafide executive in the company. To this date, I've never heard a peep from them.

With Direct, the only issue I have a problem with is the DVR fee, but I can live with it. Otherwise, the company seems to "get it" more than Dish. I find it ironic, as I always felt that Dish was the far more user-friendly of the two companies until the past year or two.

Direct made the classic offer I couldn't refuse. They offered what I wanted for a fair price and without nickel-and-diming me on the bill. For crying out loud, if a company needs to raise prices, just go ahead and do it! Please don't try to disguise it with 'service charges!" That's an insult to the customers.

Oh, one more thing -- my install is scheduled for next Saturday with a two hour appointment window. That's much better than the weekday-only-with-a-four-hour-window-or-wait-two-months deal I was offered with Dish. I'll see how it goes, but I was VERY pleased with how I was treated on the phone last night with Direct.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)