Question about free sattelite service

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JLee

Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
Indiana
On Yahoo answers I had asked a question about what was the best TV antenna, as we do not have cable in our suburban area. I got a good answer from someone who gave me a link to here. I am basically looking for a cheaper deal than I can get on Dish or Direct TV. They also have too many channels that I would not be interested in such as the sports. He said he had gotten some kind of a system that is not well known where sattelite is free? I am not informed on any of this so I need some help.
Or if there is a way to get Dish cheaper. Thank you for any ideas you can give me.

Dish and DirecTV carry a lot of channels you won't find on FTA (free to air) satellites.
Here are several lists (all of the same info, but presented in different ways)
If you are interested in American network TV in English, many of the nets are listed (if not clearly), so that should give you some base line TV.
Mostly, the premium or "cable" channels are not to be found.
Still, there is plenty of variety.

Now, if you are interested in foreign language programming, the choices are quite vast.

Take a look and let us know if this is helpful.
Which sorts of channels are you seeking?
Give us a list, and we'll give you a yes/no answer.

Menu of Channel Lists - FTAList.com
http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/
http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistKuBandUS.html

No there is no legal way to get dishnetwork free or cheaper,they are a business and own the rights to the signals they transmit from their satellites.
Free to air signals are a different animal, there are many tv signals available to watch from several different satellites, some have foreign programming in many languages, some are religious in nature. Others are avail that show some classic American tv shows, some are occasional news feeds and sporting events. Free to air is just that, available to anyone with a fairly cheap mpeg2 receiver and 30" or bigger satellite dish, it is not a replacement for pay-tv.
We enjoy our hobby, and invite you to read all the information here in the FAQ section, You may decide to try it for yourself.

On Yahoo answers I had asked a question about what was the best TV antenna, as we do not have cable in our suburban area. I got a good answer from someone who gave me a link to here.

That person would be me ...........

As you said in your Yahoo Answers question.
That you no longer wanted to pay the high price of Pay satellite and were looking for an OTA antenna , and that's where I chimed in .

You see that's the great thing about FTA , if you're willing to go the route of an Over The Air Antenna which I think is very sensible , then why not look into the world of FTA also, eventhough many members here will at first encourage you to read and look at channel lists on the forum to get yourself aquainted .

I for one can tell you that if you have a clear view of the southern sky meaning you have no obstructions like buildings or trees you can greatly benefit from FTA satellite.

With a properly mounted and alligned motorized dish , you will add many PBS stations , network TV channels , foreign language channels , and all for free.

The best part is that this forum is aimed and designed at helping people of all walks of life get into the great hobby of FTA.

Free to air is just that, available to anyone with a fairly cheap mpeg2 receiver and 30" or bigger satellite dish, it is not a replacement for pay-tv.
We enjoy our hobby, and invite you to read all the information here in the FAQ section, You may decide to try it for yourself.

It is not a replacement for Pay TV ? That's in the eye of the beholder.

Well it definitely is a great way of adding 10 ,20 , heck even 100 more channels , and I can remember many members here who have left cable and or Pay Satellite and went the route of FTA and their families were very happy.

To a certain extent it is really a shame that more installers don't go into the FTA market , there is a good % of households in the U.S. that don't have cable or Satellite and would be greatly served by an inexpensive way of getting TV channels.

oh and by the way OTA goes well with FTA too , just look at this link
http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-over-air-ota/106224-who-here-just-uses-ota.html

Last edited:
Don't forget churches that opt for the religious channels. One of our local installers says he does alot of fta installations for churches.

It really depends on what you're looking for. No HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, Discovery Channel, TNT, etc. You will find many local network affiliates from other cities around the United States, many foreign channels, many religious channels, a nice selection of PBS programming, and tons of feeds (channels that come and go all the time, usually sports and news being sent back to studios from field trucks). Feeds, in my opinion, are the best part of FTA. Just remember, for the most part, what is up there for free is not meant for our viewing, but is being uplinked for broadcast professionals. We are just along for the ride :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)