Question about HR10-250

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SHAWN757

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
I am new to Direct TV. Just bought the direct tv HR10-250. It says I need 2 cables from the Dishes to the receiver for the dual tuner. I only have one cable and there is no way I can run another through the walls. Is there anyway I can connect the dual tuners with the one cable coming from the Dishes? I have 95, 101, 110, and 119 satellites. Any information would be greatly appreciated

shawn

There is no way for them to fish a cable through the wall from the attic. The only other way they suggested was to drill a hole from the outside wall to the inside. It will void the structural warranty of the house. I don't want to do that as the house is brand new. So there is no other way huh?

Is the currently installed cable tied down in the wall or is it fairly free? What I'm getting at is if you pull it in the attic does it freely move where it terminates? If it does you might want to use it as a guide and pull two/three new coax through the walls using it. Just a thought.

If it is a inside wall, they are easier to fish because no fiberglass in the wall. It can be done. I would drop string into the wall and catch it with a hook at the other end.

SHAWN757 said:
There is no way for them to fish a cable through the wall from the attic. The only other way they suggested was to drill a hole from the outside wall to the inside. It will void the structural warranty of the house. I don't want to do that as the house is brand new. So there is no other way huh?

Drilling a little hole in the wall will void the structural warranty???? Don't think so.

rad said:
Is the currently installed cable tied down in the wall or is it fairly free? What I'm getting at is if you pull it in the attic does it freely move where it terminates? If it does you might want to use it as a guide and pull two/three new coax through the walls using it. Just a thought.

Thanks but already tried. According to technician who came to install the receiver told me when they build these houses they staple these cables to the wooden frame before putting the dry wall. So it's impossible.

MichaelC said:
If it is a inside wall, they are easier to fish because no fiberglass in the wall. It can be done. I would drop string into the wall and catch it with a hook at the other end.

I have a fire place in the place where the cables come out of the wall and according to the technician there is a fire break (don't really know what that is) inside and it is impossible for them to fish a cable without breaking the dry wall. I asked him and his field manager to do that but they say breaking down some dry wall is against their company(a contractor for directv) policy. I even said that I will give a signed statement saying I agree to this but they said they can't.

Tonedeaf said:
Drilling a little hole in the wall will void the structural warranty???? Don't think so.

Thats what the builder told me. I know it sounds silly but can't risk it if there is a rain leak from the outside, they will somehow try to blame it on that hole. It's like the warranty of a DVD player or any electrical item. If you go to modify anything the manufacturers warranty will be voided.

Is this a manufactured or prefab home? if so it could void the warranty..

if not then ther eis no leg to stand on.

i know you probably dont like the idea but if you have a crawlspace you can run the cable into that through the door/hatch and then up through the floor.... carpet in a corner is easiest to patch and conceal.

don't actually have a TIVO unit myself, but couldn't you just use the one line and have to deal with not being able to record 2 things or record and watch something else???

If you could run the wire down down to the basement on a inside wall with no fire break and up from there might work.

asousa said:
don't actually have a TIVO unit myself, but couldn't you just use the one line and have to deal with not being able to record 2 things or record and watch something else???

yes... but once you experience the 2 lines... it will change your perspective.

ShadowEKU said:
Is this a manufactured or prefab home? if so it could void the warranty..

if not then ther eis no leg to stand on.

i know you probably dont like the idea but if you have a crawlspace you can run the cable into that through the door/hatch and then up through the floor.... carpet in a corner is easiest to patch and conceal.

Whats manufactured prefab home? It's built by KB homes. They give out a 10 year Structural warranty. They said in the final walk through that never to touch(drill holes) the outside stucko it can void that 10 year warranty. I know it's silly. Do you think they have no leg to stand on if anything happens?

asousa said:

Got Directv especially to get the Cricket Tickets. They don't show replays. Some matches this Summer will coincide with another match. So the only way directv told me to avoid this is a Tivo unit.

MichaelC said:
If you could run the wire down down to the basement on a inside wall with no fire break and up from there might work.

Unfortunately We don't have a basement. So that won't work.

Only other thing I thought was to get a handy man to break some dry wall inside(near the firebreak) and get the technician to come and fish the cable through the wall. After that I can get the handy man to to seal up the dry wall. This will cost me like $150 on top of the wall fishing charges for the directv contractor. I am begining to think this is the only way. If I want to watch all the matches. Anyway thanks for your help and advice. Any more idea's you can think of will be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

SHAWN757 said:
Whats manufactured prefab home? It's built by KB homes. They give out a 10 year Structural warranty. They said in the final walk through that never to touch(drill holes) the outside stucko it can void that 10 year warranty. I know it's silly. Do you think they have no leg to stand on if anything happens?

Uh, no way. That's nuts. What happens when you want to add extra outlets outside or security lights or malibu lights?

As someone said, call your insurance company.

All this for cricket. I would call another professional out. Play dumb (not real hard for me) and see what kind of results you get. Are you sure that the coax cable is stapled? I've seen this with electrical but not nearly as much with cable. Is the location in your room the absolutely only place you can put your tv? Or wait ten years then drill away. If all else fails, may I suggest a new home!

Its quite common in newly built homes to see the coax tacked or stapled to the studs of the walls.

I personally think they do that so that you CAN'T use it as a pullstring for new cables and is a way of making you rely upon the builder for your cable runs. We all know that its not that expensive to run a new line of coax around your home but these guys will charge around 75 bucks for each additional coax jack you have them run for you. Typically in moderatley priced new homes they only give you 2 coax jacks regardless of the size of the home.

I had my home built in April of '04 and it has 3 bedrooms, and a living room, and I was only given two coax and two phone jacks. If I wanted more then I'd have to pay for each one. I feel that is the where Shawn is at in his situation.

Shawn is there any crawl space or were you built on a slab?
Are you in a town home??
You may have mentioned earlier, but is your home more then 1 story??

FYI:
a prefab or manufactured home refer to "trailer style" homes.

riggscm said:
Its quite common in newly built homes to see the coax tacked or stapled to the studs of the walls.

I personally think they do that so that you CAN'T use it as a pullstring for new cables and is a way of making you rely upon the builder for your cable runs. We all know that its not that expensive to run a new line of coax around your home but these guys will charge around 75 bucks for each additional coax jack you have them run for you. Typically in moderatley priced new homes they only give you 2 coax jacks regardless of the size of the home.

I had my home built in April of '04 and it has 3 bedrooms, and a living room, and I was only given two coax and two phone jacks. If I wanted more then I'd have to pay for each one. I feel that is the where Shawn is at in his situation.

Shawn is there any crawl space or were you built on a slab?
Are you in a town home??
You may have mentioned earlier, but is your home more then 1 story??

FYI:
a prefab or manufactured home refer to "trailer style" homes.

It's a 2 story detached home. I got the upgrade done. Pre wired for all 4 rooms with phone lines and everything. There is a hub in the master bedroom closet. I have to pay $1000 extra for this upgrade. I thought doing this will eliminate this problem in the future. But unfortunatly for me they have given me only 1 line of cable and phone to each room and hall. Although there are 2 cables each for the 2 master bedrooms They did not have a 2 cable option for the other 2 rooms and hall. At that time I did not know you even needed 2 cables for a receiver. Damn. Oh well, I have the receiver now the only thing is to break some dry wall and get a handyman to fix it after they are done.

shamill said:
Is the location in your room the absolutely only place you can put your tv?

I have a Pioneer plasma TV. There is no room to put it in a bedroom. Only place is the hall. It's also mounted. It will be another expense if I go to mess about with that too.

SHAWN757 said:
It's a 2 story detached home. I got the upgrade done. Pre wired for all 4 rooms with phone lines and everything. There is a hub in the master bedroom closet. I have to pay $1000 extra for this upgrade. I thought doing this will eliminate this problem in the future. But unfortunatly for me they have given me only 1 line of cable and phone to each room and hall. Although there are 2 cables each for the 2 master bedrooms They did not have a 2 cable option for the other 2 rooms and hall. At that time I did not know you even needed 2 cables for a receiver. Damn. Oh well, I have the receiver now the only thing is to break some dry wall and get a handyman to fix it after they are done.

Man these builders love to price gouge on the small stuff, well on some larger things too... to upgrade my water heater would have been like a extra 300 bucks...

ANYWAY :rolleyes:
I'm curious if you are on a slab, or have a basement or crawlspace.

If you have some way of getting under the floor then you could tap into the wall from underneath, and feed up to your current jack.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)