Question about install...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Pyrophoric

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 16, 2004
Question about satellite installation...

Ok, I am a newb when it comes to satellite tv and am getting it installed for the first time this week.

Atm, all I know is that I am getting a DVR 522 from Dish Network and the installer is from a local satellite install company.

So, what should I look for or be aware of when the guy comes? I mean, should be aware of what type/model dish I am getting, if its new, or even if the DVR is outta the box new?

I used to work for the local cable company till I quit so I do know a good bit about cable in general but almost nothing about satellite.

Basically, what should I expect from the installer when he comes out?

Thx a ton ahead of time for any info and thx to those who have already helped me with my past questions :)

Well, my first recommendation is to search for "install horror story" or "bad install" or the like.

Second, a 522 requries 2 feed cables (or DPP gear). This means you'll be getting a DP Twin on a D500 (unless you're in a SuperDish-for-locals area).

Third, beings you don't own the 522, refurb or new is not relevant - same as cable STBs.

First, what is a superdish? :)

Second, since it needs two feed cables I would assume that they wont just be using the cable line already there?

Third, I have read the horror stories and it has made me really worried about what to expect from Dish and the local installer.

I see many stories but not to many fixes or solutions...

So that is why I wanted to start this thread :)

Thx a ton for your help :)

Edit : I think I found something on what a superdish is .. is it for areas that can get local channels? If so I guess that is what I will be getting since I can get locals.

You will only need a Superdish if your locals are not on the 110/119 birds. In San Diego, my locals are at 119, therefore I only need the Dish500. You could also use a Superdish if you subscribe to American and International channels.

Pyro - without knowing where you are, we can't ay whether you'd be getting a SuperDish (119+110 plus either 105 or 121) or just a Dish500 (119+110) or Dish500 with a "wing" Dish300 for either 61.5 or 148.

Big V was partially right - different areas have different setups for locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts