Question about install...

Pyrophoric

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 16, 2004
Question about satellite installation...

Ok, I am a newb when it comes to satellite tv and am getting it installed for the first time this week.

Atm, all I know is that I am getting a DVR 522 from Dish Network and the installer is from a local satellite install company.

So, what should I look for or be aware of when the guy comes? I mean, should be aware of what type/model dish I am getting, if its new, or even if the DVR is outta the box new?

I used to work for the local cable company till I quit so I do know a good bit about cable in general but almost nothing about satellite.

Basically, what should I expect from the installer when he comes out?

Thx a ton ahead of time for any info and thx to those who have already helped me with my past questions :)

Well, my first recommendation is to search for "install horror story" or "bad install" or the like.

Second, a 522 requries 2 feed cables (or DPP gear). This means you'll be getting a DP Twin on a D500 (unless you're in a SuperDish-for-locals area).

Third, beings you don't own the 522, refurb or new is not relevant - same as cable STBs.

First, what is a superdish? :)

Second, since it needs two feed cables I would assume that they wont just be using the cable line already there?

Third, I have read the horror stories and it has made me really worried about what to expect from Dish and the local installer.

I see many stories but not to many fixes or solutions...

So that is why I wanted to start this thread :)

Thx a ton for your help :)

Edit : I think I found something on what a superdish is .. is it for areas that can get local channels? If so I guess that is what I will be getting since I can get locals.

You will only need a Superdish if your locals are not on the 110/119 birds. In San Diego, my locals are at 119, therefore I only need the Dish500. You could also use a Superdish if you subscribe to American and International channels.

Pyro - without knowing where you are, we can't ay whether you'd be getting a SuperDish (119+110 plus either 105 or 121) or just a Dish500 (119+110) or Dish500 with a "wing" Dish300 for either 61.5 or 148.

Big V was partially right - different areas have different setups for locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)