Question about my upcoming professional installation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PaulieORF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2005
Southington, CT
This time around, I've scheduled for a pro to come out and do everything (mostly about pointing the dish), instead of myself. Here's one question I have about it though. I know that DirecTV says that a phone line is supposed to be connected to all receivers for PPV. In my previous install, which I did myself, when I activated service, I simply told the CSR to disable PPV ordering on my account, as I was not able to (more like it would have been inconvenient) to run phone lines to all four receivers. So, when the guy comes here on Thursday, will he insist on running phone lines to all four receivers, or will I be able to turn down the PPV option like in the past?

Thanks.

It will work without a phone line, but the installer will be penalized by DirecTV so he/she has an incentive to do the best to talk you into phone lines. You can order PPV over the Internet, but DirecTV uses the phone lines to help prevent fraud (they lose mega-bucks to fraud each year) and collect marketing data, which is why the phone lines are a hot-button issue with DirecTV

It will work without a phone line, but the installer will be penalized by DirecTV so he/she has an incentive to do the best to talk you into phone lines. You can order PPV over the Internet, but DirecTV uses the phone lines to help prevent fraud (they lose mega-bucks to fraud each year) and collect marketing data, which is why the phone lines are a hot-button issue with DirecTV

If running a line to all receivers is a problem, would they provide those wireless phone jacks?

They are big into phone lines. They want us to find out if they are installed, yet they don't give us the cx phone numbers, so we can't ask if they aren't home. IMO, that's odd, because they should know that. Perhaps they are fishing to see if the customers unhooked the phone lines. Who knows? It seems to be their prime concern, though.

Looking at your sig. chad, did you do all of those installs?

Wireless Phone Jacks: Yes, the installer will sell you wireless phone jacks (because they normally have to pay for them). The jacks cost about $30-$45 per set. Sometimes it is cheaper to go to Radio Shack and buy the jacks yourself. The only draw-back is that if you have caller ID, it will not work with the DirecTV receivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)