question about new HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

realplaya3tn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
are the former channels like espn, espn2, tnt, in mpeg 4 or are they still in only mpeg 2?
not at home now, thank you

are the former channels like espn, espn2, tnt, in mpeg 4 or are they still in only mpeg 2?
not at home now, thank you

Yes, ESPN (206), ESPN2 (209) and TNT (245, I think) are all broadcasting in glorious MPEG 4 this morning, with a noticible difference in PQ.

I'm wondering about Disc HD Theater, HDNet/HDNet Movies and UHD, all of which still seem to be their old MPEG2 selves - anyone have any idea as to when/if these will change over?

They're still MPEG2 on the old HD channel numbers (72, 73, 75), but they are now also in MPEG4 next to their "standard" channel numbers.

I don't think this is true - others have posted that have trouble with the 119 sat (i.e. can't get ESPN 2 HD) also cannot receive it on the 200s channel (sorry don't know the exact number). this supports the theory they are just mirroring the 70s channels in MPEG2 for now..........I was hoping this is not true but it looks like it is for the time being.

70-79 are MPEG 2, there are still customers without the right setup for MPEG 4, do not know when 74 76 78 79 will be in MPEG 4 but shoudn't be too long. The other ones that are aligned with there regular channel, TBS CNN DIS TLC etc. are in MPEG 4

I don't think this is true - others have posted that have trouble with the 119 sat (i.e. can't get ESPN 2 HD) also cannot receive it on the 200s channel (sorry don't know the exact number). this supports the theory they are just mirroring the 70s channels in MPEG2 for now..........I was hoping this is not true but it looks like it is for the time being.

They are MPEG 4 in their "standard" channel numbers.

They are MPEG 4 in their "standard" channel numbers.

we'll see - I haven't tested it out yet. But another forum member reports that on espn2 hd (70s) he cannot get since he can't receive signals from the 119 sat - I'm in the same boat.

he flips to the 200s allegedly MPEG4 from the new sat 103b and he gets the same searching for sat message - which I would logically conclude the old 70s channels are be broadcast from the same sat(119) to the 200s channel - which would make them still in MPEG2.

we'll see - I haven't tested it out yet. But another forum member reports that on espn2 hd (70s) he cannot get since he can't receive signals from the 119 sat - I'm in the same boat.

he flips to the 200s allegedly MPEG4 from the new sat 103b and he gets the same searching for sat message - which I would logically conclude the old 70s channels are be broadcast from the same sat(119) to the 200s channel - which would make them still in MPEG2.

And in the same forum he mentioned that he removed the BBC from his box and still got the 200's channels for those stations, which would also support the MPEG2 theory...

I was totally under the impression that the new 200's channels for these three stations were MPEG4, but now I'm not so sure.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)