Question about recording and watching simultaneous shows

Status
Please reply by conversation.

markprior22

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
central illinois
Last night I had a show scheduled to record at 9:00 on a local network channel. Was watching a ballgame and received popup saying that I either had to change to the channel I wanted to record or cancel the recording.

I thought you could record 4-5 shows at once with Direct. I only had this one program scheduled to record. Is it an issue if the channel you are recording is a local channel? If not...any other ideas?

Thanks

I've had that happen on occasion. I think that the scheduler sometimes decides it will record on a specific tuner and if you just happen to be watching live on that tuner at the time it gets ready to kick, you get the message. Don't know if it is true, just seems to be the way it is imo.

I tell it to go ahead and sometimes it actually does do what it said it was going to do, and other times it doesn't. Just weird. But if you aren't using all the tuners, let it kick in the recording and change the channel, then exit and select the live channel again.

When this happens to me, powering off the Genie and client and then turning them on again fixes it. It doesn't happen often. It could be what lparsons posted or double play was accidentally activated without your knowledge. A power off (not RBR) will clear the tuners and not stop your recording.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I had the same thing happen when I had my Genie (it was the only receiver I had)

I would have 2 programs recording and then get that popup which made no sense.

When this happens to me, powering off the Genie and client and then turning them on again fixes it. It doesn't happen often. It could be what lparsons posted or double play was accidentally activated without your knowledge. A power off (not RBR) will clear the tuners and not stop your recording.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

A Power off clears the buffer ?

Never knew that of tried that.

Last night I had a show scheduled to record at 9:00 on a local network channel. Was watching a ballgame and received popup saying that I either had to change to the channel I wanted to record or cancel the recording.

I thought you could record 4-5 shows at once with Direct. I only had this one program scheduled to record. Is it an issue if the channel you are recording is a local channel? If not...any other ideas?

Thanks

Mark,
Are you using a Genie or other recvr ?
What recvr did this happen on ?

sometimes it does. If you wait long enough it will dump the buffer so when you turn it on it starts buffering. But if its only an hour or so it usually stays buffered

a power off does nuke the 2nd buffer on the double play though

Never knew that of tried that.

The buffer for a particular channel is usually lost once you change the channel. The exceptions, in my observations, are: when you have double play activated, when you watch something that is recording, or you are watching a channel that is being watched on a client at the same time. But it's easy to activate double play without meaning to, with ties up tuners. If something is recording, a power off will not cancel or interrupt the recording. I have never seen the buffer be retained outside of those conditions, including a power-off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)