Question about Riding Lawnmower?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
I'm looking for a riding lawnmower for our house in Virginia. It's on a 3-acre lot (2+ acres grass) that is relatively flat. We sold our riding mower when we moved to TX back in 2008 and a neighborhood kid has been cutting the grass for us and the renters who were in the house for 2-years. Well, he's graduating High School and going directly to college so it's time to buy another mower. :(

Anyway, I've sorta narrowed my selection down the following three Husqvarna models and I am looking for some additional information. First, I've looked at all the major brands (John Deer, Cub Cadet, etc.) and I went with these Husqvarna models as offering the best bang-for-the-buck, and Sears has the best sale right now (yep, not a fan of Sears these days). Second, I would like to keep the price down as much as possible since we're maintaining two houses right now. If not, I would probably look at a high-end John Deere.

Anyway, here they are (you can see the comparison by clicking for the following URL): Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

1. Husqvarna 54 in. 24 HP - $1757.88 ($1582.09 after 10% friends & family event discount; Sears item # 07128964000 Mfr.model # 28964; This lawn tractor is quite a deal (i.e., can't touch the price)...but I can't find much information about it and I have no idea what the manufacturer model# may be (last year's inventory?) Help?

2. Husqvarna 48 in. 23 HP - $1799.00 ($1619.99 after 10% friends & family event discount; Sears item # 07124044000 Mfr.model # 24044; 99.9% sure this is Husqvarna Model# YTH23V48 which is on sale for $1799.00 at Lowes; I really like this mower, but I would rather have the larger cutting deck, if possible.

3. Husqvarna 54 in. 24 HP -$2399.99 ($2159.99 after 10% friends & family event discount; Sears item # 07124047000 Mfr.model # 24047; 99.9% sure this is Husqvarna Model# LGT24K54; I like this mower the best, but it's a bit more than I wanting to pay right now.

Tractor | Husqvarna | Homeowner

In a nutshell: 1&2 (really like 2) are more in my price range right now, but I'm thinking 1&3 are better equipped to do the job. I guess it all boils down to identifying the model# of tractor 1 - HELP! To be honest, I actually cut the grass for 6-years with a mower with a 46 in. cutting deck so perhaps I am making too much out of the 54".

- Any reason why I shouldn't go with the Husqvarna brand?
- What is mystery tractor #1?
- Any reason not to go with #1?

If nothing else (based on the comments), I may also consider the following two models:

Cub Cadet 50 in. 24 HP - $1999.00 (Tractor Supply) Model# 13WQ91AP009
Cub Cadet 50 in. 22 HP - $1999.00 (Home Depot) Model# 13RF91AP056

Thanks in advance. :hatsoff:

I HAVE a 23V48 from Sears. Just bought it last August. I cut about an acre with it. Fantastic machine. Smooth, quiet, and powerful.

BUT

and this may be a big deal to you, or maybe not,

It burns gas like it has its own oil well! I don't think I have ever seen a twin burn so much gas....literally twice what my other machine, a Craftsman ys4500 46in cut/21 HP Briggs SINGLE cylinder, does.

I had a tech out here to take care of a warranty issue a couple weeks ago (no big deal, don't be concerned about it), and asked him about it. He said all the newer briggs twins burn gas like its .15 a gallon.

For two acres, I agree with you. Get the bigger deck. I went from a 38" cut to a 48" cut and cut my mowing time in HALF.

And after having two MTD products in 10 years that I spent more time working on than actually using, I wouldn't touch a Cub Cadet with a 20-foot pole.

Husky makes SOME Craftsman, newer Craftsman machines are now made by MTD, and it shows. They also make Poulan, Dixon tractors ( yes they make a tractor too), ariens, and a couple others. Husky is easy to spot, once you get used to them, they are ALL styled basically the same. Your first Husky might be a dealer model or something that Sears ordered for someone or something like that. 1500.00 is a screaming deal for that machine.

Be aware the Kohler Courage engines are all made in China now, and depending on who you talk to, don't have the best reliability record. OTOH, neither do the Briggs Twins. I flipped a coin. the 23V48 had briggs, was in my price range, so that's what I bought. Wish you were closer to Louisiana, I'd let ya take a spin. :D

Last edited:
Go here, and do some reading.

Tractor Forum : MyTractorForum.Com Tractor Forums

Be AWARE, these guys are hardcore, and they don't like tractors sold at Sears or Home Depot, so some of the things they say you have to filter out. You have to balance need with money. yeah we would all like to have the 5000.00 diesel lawn tractor, but we don't have the money.

BTW Your mystery machine is a Husqvarna YTH2454.

Thanks for all the info Stogie. I stopped by the local Sears store while running errands this afternoon (also read your posts via the SatelliteGuys app) and looked at the 23V48. It's a nice machine, but it's pretty much the same size as the 46" Troy-Bilt I used to mow the lawn with for almost 6-years. The Briggs-Stratten engine ran strong, but I had several problems with the cutting deck and transmission on the mower. I'll never buy another Troy-Bilt product. Anyway, I decided to order the YTH2454...however, the system (Sears.com) will no longer allow me to order it online. I'm not sure if the last one disappeared overnight or there was just a glitch in their ordering sytems and my order would have been cancelled later. Regardless, I've decided to go with the bigger mover and will probably order the LGT24K54 with the 24 HP Kawasaki V-Twin...although it's a bit more than I wanted to spend right now. Does anyone know about the performance/reliability of the Kawasaki enginer? Of course, I noticed a 24 HP 52 in. with a Briggs & Stratton V-Twin while at Sears. Hmmm. If I'm going shell out 2K for a riding mower than I may as well have a closer look at the Snapper...

Kawasaki's are about the best engine you can get in consumer-grade equipment, IMO. Parts are expensive, though. MUCH better than the Intek B&S or Kohler Courage. Roughly equal to B&S's Vangard engine, or Kohler's Command series.

BTW Troy-Bilt is MTD.

Be aware that most, if not ALL, transaxles on these consumer level machines come from the same manufacturer, Tuff-Torque. So you MAY not get a better transaxle in your Husky, but then again, you just may. Ask for a Owner's manual of whatever machine you are looking at, and see which transaxle it is equipped with, and just google the name. You will quickly find out its reputation.

I am pretty sure Snapper's are farmed out now too, but I am not sure, I'd have to research.

The Husky with the Kawi is a FINE choice,IMO.

Last edited:
IMAG0073.jpgIMAG0076.jpgWell, I must say that I really love my new Husqvarna mower...the 54" cutting deck, tranny, and 24 HP Kawasaki are top-notch. The LGT24K54 is easily the best mower I have ever owned. The lawn looks great and I'm saving at least 20-minutes of mowing time from my old 46" mower. The hand accelerator took a few minutes to get used to, but I love it because I no longer have to hold down the gas pedal with my foot. Plus, while I knew the turning radius would be an improvement...the difference was huge. My only complaint is the mower doesn't fit on the back of my F-150 and, unlikely a Simplicity, removing/adding the cutting deck looks like a huge pain in the arse.

Well, I must say that I really love my new Husqvarna mower...the 54" cutting deck, tranny, and 24 HP Kawasaki are top-notch. The LGT24K54 is easily the best mower I have ever owned. The lawn looks great and I'm saving at least 20-minutes of mowing time from my old 46" mower. The hand accelerator took a few minutes to get used to, but I love it because I no longer have to hold down the gas pedal with my foot. Plus, while I knew the turning radius would be an improvement...the difference was huge. My only complaint is the mower doesn't fit on the back of my F-150 and, unlikely a Simplicity, removing/adding the cutting deck looks like a huge pain in the arse.

Attachments

• IMAG0076.jpg
    IMAG0076.jpg
    994.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMAG0073.jpg
    IMAG0073.jpg
    988.1 KB · Views: 97
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)