question about satellite identification

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

eewizard

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
Beaumont, TX
i've got the new 18" actuator installed and all hooked up. tried to get the 10' dish aimed for a few hours and finally got a picture. after tweaking the settings alittle i can now hit at least 9 satellites that i know of by moving the dish. the problem now is that i can onlt id 1 of the sats. (1 of them had a channel which listed the name of the satellite). is there an easy way to id the other birds so i can know what i have?

here is all the nfo about what's on the sats i have starting from east to west:

1. cnbc trans 22, a religious channel trans 20, and subscription nfo on trans 5, 9, 15, 19, and 23.

2. shopeathometv.com trans 10, religious channel trans 16, and sub nfo on trans 7, 12, 14, and 18.

3. naples-ft. myers greyhound track and assiniboia downs

4. Galaxy/4R/C17 (i think this is the sat since the name is listed on a channel)

5. georgia downs

6. jewelry television trans 21

7. religious channel trans 3, BET trans 20, sub nfo on trans 4,5,6,7,8,9,11,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,22,23, and 24

8. insp, espn bristol, shopnbc, ewtn, and arts--has some sub nfo channels also but need 2 fine tune this sat alittle better cause it got worse when tuning in the others.

9. nasa tv --also have 2 fine tune this sat due to picture getting alot worse when fine tuning the others.

is this showing that i am tracking the sat arc correctly or is it way off?

should i be hitting more sats then this?

also, does anyone by any chance know what these other sats might be from my descriptions of them?

thanks....Darrell

By knowing the first one, you can look at http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html and then by reasonable deduction you can determine each satellite as you move in a given direction E or W one satellite at a time. Note what transponder you are on and look at the charts.

Depending of if you are C only or C and Ku; analog only or analog and digital will determine how many satellites you can pull from, but you can expect many more than 9 and there are a few gaps with missing satellites.

1. AMC 3 at 87.0°W
2. Galaxy 11 at 91.0°W
3. MAYBE Intelsat Americas 6 at 93.0°W or Galaxy 3C at 95.0°W (What else do you see? It was a feed and I didn't see it.)
4. Galaxy 4R at 99.0°W
5. MAYBE AMC 1 at 103.0°W (What else do you see? It was a feed and I didn't see it.)
6. Intelsat Americas 13 at 121.0°W
7. Galaxy 12 at 125.0°W
8. Galaxy 1R at 133.0°W
9. AMC 7 at 137.0°W

got it... :)

1. had a bad polarity servo....replaced it with a brand new one someone had given me for parts.

2. the bracket holding the feed horn was loose on 2 bolts...corrected that when replacing the servo.

now i have sats i never knew existed popping up and with alittle more tweaking they should all be coming in good(wish i had checked these simple things before i started turning bolts)....guess it helps to have all working equiptment and tight connections...lol :)

thx to everyone here in the forums for all the help....it helped make me a "happy camper" :)

Good to hear you got it all figured out, planting a BUD and aiming it is not the easiest thing to do. Congratulations :D

Darrell,
I have found the easiest way to do it is to find a satellite, then start bumping in either direction. Lately I find AMC 7 (at 137 west) and start bumping my way east until I get to AMC 6 at 72. I get signals on every bird from AMC 7 to AMC 6, the complete arc. I have a chart from a Skyvision catalog that I use as I bump and watch for signals, when I come across something I run through every transponder to ID it. When I am convinced that I've IDed it correctly I store it and bump on to the next one. There is usually one TP in the clear on every satellite on C Band but on Ku I have found the best time to search is late afternoon/early evening when the news feeds start popping up and later in the evening when the sports feeds start. To find a satellite at random I go to the one next to it and tune in a signal, then I start to bump in the direction of the one I am looking for until the signal on the 1st one leaves and a new signal appears. Nine times out of ten, this will be the satellite you are looking for, store it and you are in business. This IS very time consuming, but it's worth it. I believe that you are not getting your moneys worth if you are not receiving everything that you possibly can. Luckily I haven't had to do this in a long time because the Motorola 922 has a good memory and will not loose the info like my old unit did every time lighting causes a power serge. I hope this can be of some help to you.

And also the 4dtv has the easy sat locator, it works very well, every time I do a Master Reset it hits all sats dead on, well a little bump will get it perfect.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts