Question about savings as a cord cutter

Where 1G comes in handy is if you have many things downloading at the same time. If you normally download one or two things at a time 1G is big time overkill....

Last edited:
^^
The old speed was about 70 down and 7 up. Funny because I thought I was paying for 25 down. New speed is averaging 350 down and 42 up. It once hit 900 plus. But the up is always in the 40’s.

Not sure what you pay now, but YTTV and subbing to Philo which has the food Network might be an option.
You almost make OTT sound like a juggling act. Sometimes the old model still fits better.

I remember the old days, when some would scream bloody murder if they didn't have access to four news channels and multiple weather channels.

One of local channels had a frequency change recently. (OTA) I don’t know if they decreased output power or what. Bottom line, I no longer can receive it.

One of local channels had a frequency change recently. (OTA) I don’t know if they decreased output power or what. Bottom line, I no longer can receive it.
You should post this in the OTA forum. They may be able to help you figure out why the channel escapes you (like the wrong kind of antenna).

When making a post there, be sure to offer what the station's call letters are and your zip code.

You almost make OTT sound like a juggling act. Sometimes the old model still fits better.

It definitely can be to those that aren't used to it.

But after using it for a short time, I can navigate between what I'm on and where I want to go at least as fast as I could with either sat service.

And yes, sometimes the old model fits for some.

I would imagine most posting here at least have a passing interest in alternative methods however, so I gave an option.

It works for me, and the savings are a big bonus over what I used to pay.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zookster
It works for me, and the savings are a big bonus over what I used to pay.
How much savings and what were the trade-offs (if any)?

I hear the term "savings" thrown around a lot but it rarely is accompanied by a dollar figure and an accounting of what was given up.

I've also noticed a distinct lack of comparisons against promo offers from cable and DBS that might be had by bouncing around. It only seems fair given the loss-leader approach that OTT seems to be engaging in for the time being.

I hear the term "savings" thrown around a lot but it rarely is accompanied by a dollar figure and an accounting of what was given up.

I've also noticed a distinct lack of comparisons against promo offers from cable and DBS that might be had by bouncing around. It only seems fair given the loss-leader approach that OTT seems to be engaging in for the time being.
I, and others here have given the savings numbers many times.

I would have to dig through old bills at this point to see exactly what my sat bill was, but I have saved anywhere from $40-80 a month over what I had with sat (depending on which service I am subscribing to at the time).

I cant, at this point, think of any trade offs that were negative to my overall tv experience. There was a period of adjustment, but it was very short. Things more or less work exactly how they did before for me. I get the channels that I want to watch, at a substantially lower rate, and am not locked into any contract.

For me, it is a win.

For others, their wants or needs may be different and other alternatives may serve them better.

But after using it for a short time, I can navigate between what I'm on and where I want to go at least as fast as I could with either sat service.

And yes, sometimes the old model fits for some.

I would imagine most posting here at least have a passing interest in alternative methods however, so I gave an option.

Sorry if you've gone over this before. I am curious how you manage to switch quickly between things. What method(s) do you use to know what content is where and access it quickly? Tivo's OneSearch seemed promising, but, in practice, I found it of limited use. I think AppleTV has something similar, but not all streaming services are included. This workflow concern is likely to be one of the factors that holds my wife and I back from switching away from Dish. If you have a way to quickly and easily keep track of this, so there isn't a multi-minute "now what app do I watch this show on?" step, I'd really appreciate knowing about it. Also, how to do track when new episodes are available?

Thanks,
Ted

Sorry if you've gone over this before. I am curious how you manage to switch quickly between things. What method(s) do you use to know what content is where and access it quickly? Tivo's OneSearch seemed promising, but, in practice, I found it of limited use. I think AppleTV has something similar, but not all streaming services are included. This workflow concern is likely to be one of the factors that holds my wife and I back from switching away from Dish. If you have a way to quickly and easily keep track of this, so there isn't a multi-minute "now what app do I watch this show on?" step, I'd really appreciate knowing about it. Also, how to do track when new episodes are available?

Thanks,
Ted
Alot of it is simply being used to it. I do have my apps on the roku interface grouped to make backing out and going into the next one as quick as possible.

I really dont have to jump around between apps much though, as I dvr the shows I want with YYTV, and mainly stay in that outside of original content on netflix/hulu/amazon. In app navigation with YTTV is a breeze. I have a custom guide set up that groups what channels I generally watch together so going from one channel to another is a button press or two away, much like sat.
And YTTV has a tab that shows you new episodes of shows that you set to record, so its easy to see what is new or not.

edit: on the search feature, Roku has a cross platform search function as well, which helps on seeing if a particular show is available, where it is available, and what the cost is.

Reactions: ncted

I have also posted the savings many times, for example to get the same channels I get with Vue (Core-$50 a month) I would have to subscribe to Dish 200 ( BBC and Disney XD for example which are not in Dish’s lower packages ) which is $79 a month the first two years, so that is already $29 a month in savings, then we have the box fees, from Dish’s website-Fees apply for additional TVs: Hopper $15/mo., Joey $5/mo., Super Joey $10/mo. , so since I need 5 boxes and DVR Service that is another $35 a month I do not have to pay, so that is $64 a month, since my broadband service is $70 a month -no data cap-I pay $120 a month total for TV and internet which is only $6 more a month then just TV only from DISH.

As for the ease of service, it has a good guide just like every one else, to record the show hit the plus symbol and it records with never a problem, never a issue.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Reactions: Zookster

At the risk of repeating myself (I know I've posted this many times in these threads before), when I first cut the cord two years ago, I calculated my savings at about $70. The best negotiated deal I could get when threatening to leave my cable company at the time was $189 for a triple play (normally $210) for only one DVR receiver (I didn't have access to all my channels and recordings in other rooms). When I switched, PS Vue cost me $35 for whole-home DVR access (all my channels and content in every room). I switched to Ooma for my home business phone for ~$15 (including premium features). And internet without bundling was $70. Since then, my internet has gone up to $80 (which I'm sure has gone up for TV customers too). And switching to YouTube TV has kept me at $35/mo.

The price I pay for YTTV is WAY better than the best promo deals I could get for cable or sat TV, for what I need and currently get. My cable company TV deals start at $40 (I get the offers in the mail once a week), and that doesn't include a lot of things I'm getting with YTTV, such as whole-home channel/DVR access and sports channels that would require an extra $10/mo to access. But even if those deals were comparable, there's no way I would switch back and forth every year. Too much time and hassle and dealing with annoying retention dept. people. Not to mention, you lose all your settings and DVR recordings each time.

What are the trade offs? I guess 5.1 audio. But I hear that's coming in early 2019 to YTTV. Regardless, my AVR does a decent job with ProLogicII, I don't even think about missing it anymore. And there are a couple sports channels I don't get (NFL Network and Pac-12), but those aren't worth paying $70 more per month and being limited to watching my channels/recordings in just my living room unless I wanted to pay the cable company $50 more for whole home DVR access and extra box rentals for two additional TVs.

By the way, if money was no issue (let's say I won a huge lottery jackpot), I would stick with YouTube TV and add FuboTV for the missing sports channels and several others YTTV doesn't have. It's so much easier accessing your content in other rooms without needing a hard-wired hook up and extra box. You just need a Roku stick. And I never have to worry about managing my recorded content. I can record every college football game every Saturday and not worry about having to delete stuff.

EDIT: YouTube TV + FuboTV would still cost less than cable, btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronnie-
I didn’t post in the OTA thread because maybe some cord cutters may be experiencing the same thing in the future. More OTA channels will be doing this in the future to free up air waves for the coming 5 G thing, I believe.

The channel I lost OTA really don’t matter to me that much because I get it on cable. I use my OTA mainly to watch football. Better picture.

Goofed. Was trying to quote harshness

I didn’t post in the OTA thread because maybe some cord cutters may be experiencing the same thing in the future. More OTA channels will be doing this in the future to free up air waves for the coming 5 G thing, I believe.
Many here are using OTT services which is really a different form of being corded; that's why there's all the talk about which providers carry local channels and in what markets.

I submit that the literal interpretation of the term "cord cutter" would mean OTA + physical media give or take FTA satellite.

So Now my saving per month is down to $65. Having YTTV-$40./wStarz!-$9.,Philo-$20.,Hallmark Movies Now!-$5. per annual rate,no commercials,when compared to what Charter Spectrum cable TV could offer me.
For those who want PBS there is the PBS app.
Compared to OTA which is 1080i-720p-480i,Streaming is 1080p-720p.All streaming video is upscaled to 2160p through my Roku Stick+.
I do not see any extra fees added onto my services(per my online billing) as I did when I had Charter Spectrum cable HDTV service.
The benefit of streaming is that I can get the channels I want like The Smithsonian channel,AHC,Science channel,National Geographic channel,Nicktoons ect. and do not have to pay for
a higher priced package as compared to cable and satellite services.
My internet is Charter Spectrum cable internet 100MB/10MB-$64.99 no caps,compared to what I use to have,AT&T Elite DSL 6MB/512kbps internet-$54.99-150GB cap,final monthly bill-$84.99.
Also Philo now has an onscreen guide for Rokus.

Last edited:
Have you tried the app? Much of the content requires a subscription.

It works like many other network apps: it gives you free access to all the current shows/recent episodes during a limited window (usually 4-6 weeks), but unlike network apps, it's all 100% commercial free following the opening sponsor recognition. It then gives you the option to access the back catalog of previous episodes and seasons, much of which is already available on Prime and Netflix, for a $5/mo. subscription fee. So the free version is perfect if you are just keeping up on current shows. No cable channel or streaming platform (even with TV provider log in credentials) is going to give you access to an entire back catalog of thousands of episodes without a fee.

It works like many other network apps: it gives you free access to all the current shows/recent episodes during a limited window (usually 4-6 weeks), but unlike network apps, it's all 100% commercial free following the opening sponsor recognition.
I don't like this model from any network. If you get behind or you want to review an episode, you have to subscribe. Depending on the device you use for viewing, transport controls (fast forward, rewind, single step) can be insufferable.

The PBS search in particular seems to offer up a lot of non-free content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts