Question about selling old D* receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
I've got (2) older D* receivers, both Hughes, one is a GAEBOA and the other is an HIRD-E2.

They were given to me by a friend who, let's just say, took advantage of weaknesses of D* from years ago. When they finally made it too difficult to keep up, he gave up and I got them as backups.

My question is about where the subscription info, PPV purchases, etc, etc was stored. Is it on the card or in the receiver ?? If it's in the receiver, I do not want to sell these. 1) I might end up getting in trouble and 2) the buyer may have to "clear" or pay for the purchases saved on these.

hall said:
a friend who, let's just say, took advantage of weaknesses of D* from years ago. When they finally made it too difficult to keep up, he gave up and I got them as backups.

This MIGHT be construed as hack talk, but your best bet is to trash those receivers. Although that info was/is stored on the access card, the card was married to the receiver's unique ID number that DirecTV also has on record. Juts save yourself any possible issues and move on without them in your inventory, you will be glad you did.

I did consider that someone might see it this way.... In this case though, it's more talk about what used to happen, not what's taking place today. In fact, I don't have the access cards for these receivers.

My strong leaning is to trash them (cleaned out the basement this weekend). I did check eBay first though and some do sell, sell, not just list. I mean, if someone gives me $5-10 for it, I'll sell it.

I said MIGHT and just pointing out why risk the possibility of trouble for money barely worth a tank of gas?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts