Question about signal amps

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I have a Terk amplified "indoor" antenna up in the attic. The feed runs directly to a wall jack in my living room. The Terk has it's own powered amplifier; one end connects to the wall jack, the other end connects to the TV/DVR, etc. Last night I connected the output from the amp to the "INPUT" of an RCA 10db 4-port signal amplifier. I ran the outputs to my TV, DVR+, AVR (for FM). I got an immediate signal increase for the weakest channels. Is there any danger of overloading my TV or DVR on the stronger channels?

The only real danger I see is losing some of your stronger channels due to multipath or possibly overdriving the amp on strong signals from the antenna. AGC works wonders on the endpoint equipment.

The only real danger I see is losing some of your stronger channels due to multipath or possibly overdriving the amp on strong signals from the antenna. AGC works wonders on the endpoint equipment.

So there's no danger to the DVR or TV itself? Sorry for the ignorance here, I'm not the engineer in the family (my dad is!)

I have a Terk amplified "indoor" antenna up in the attic. The feed runs directly to a wall jack in my living room. The Terk has it's own powered amplifier; one end connects to the wall jack, the other end connects to the TV/DVR, etc. Last night I connected the output from the amp to the "INPUT" of an RCA 10db 4-port signal amplifier. I ran the outputs to my TV, DVR+, AVR (for FM). I got an immediate signal increase for the weakest channels. Is there any danger of overloading my TV or DVR on the stronger channels?
If your signals with the 10db amp were sitting at 100% you might have to worry about overdriving the TV. With the amp being a 4 way splitter you are losing at least 7db of the 10 db gain so the output is close to what you started with.

If your signals with the 10db amp were sitting at 100% you might have to worry about overdriving the TV. With the amp being a 4 way splitter you are losing at least 7db of the 10 db gain so the output is close to what you started with.

So, a net 3db gain could overdrive the TV tuner?

if your signal is strong to begin with amplifying it can hinder the strong signal by sending too much signal to the device. It wont hurt it (as in damage it)....the signal will just pixelate and cut in and out.

this isnt like the analog days where "bigger is better" when it comes to picking up local signals. Distant ones yes but not local ones.
per your tv fool from another thread being 20 miles away from very strong signals an additional amp really isnt needed

if your signal is strong to begin with amplifying it can hinder the strong signal by sending too much signal to the device. It wont hurt it (as in damage it)....the signal will just pixelate and cut in and out.

this isnt like the analog days where "bigger is better" when it comes to picking up local signals. Distant ones yes but not local ones.
per your tv fool from another thread being 20 miles away from very strong signals an additional amp really isnt needed

It's bringing in KMOS at a stronger signal and also my Fox station, WDAF, which is usually in the 60's/70's. So it won't actually cause physical damage to my tuners?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)