Question about SWM system

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Directvfan

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
Virginia
Here's my situation. Planning a remodel in my living room and want to hook satellite receivers up to a cable wall jack. I am going to run RG6 to the wall jack. Here's my question, how can I do this since I have a SWM system and have the power inserter in the equation. Any help with this situation?? Thanks in advance.

The Power Inserter can go ANYWHERE in the equation, so you can run the coax to your wall outlets and hook the wall outlet to the PI and then to the next device (splitter or recvr depending on your set up)...

The Power Inserter can go ANYWHERE in the equation, so you can run the coax to your wall outlets and hook the wall outlet to the PI and then to the next device (splitter or recvr depending on your set up)...

Easy with that anywhere word. It has to be on the power passing port on the splitter, as long as that's done correctly you're fine

Easy with that anywhere word. It has to be on the power passing port on the splitter, as long as that's done correctly you're fine

Correct, I meant the PI could go Anywhere in the system, as you mentioned as long as the feed from the LNB goes to the Power port of the splitter.

Correct, I meant the PI could go Anywhere in the system, as you mentioned as long as the feed from the LNB goes to the Power port of the splitter.

Gotcha ;)

I like sticking it between the LNB and switch. Helps with DIY'ers from having to get a service call and its normally outta site outta mind

Ok, here's another thought. If I were to put a structured media center in my basement for phone, whole home Ethernet, etc., would I be able to put a multiswitch in the media center for my Directv system? As I mentioned earlier, it's a SWM system. Is there a multiswitch available to carry an HD signal?

You can put the equipment about anywhere that it's convenient. Do you have one cable from the dish or four? If one, then you don't use a multiswitch, just a splitter. Either way, it can go in the cabinet along with the power inserter.

You can put the equipment about anywhere that it's convenient. Do you have one cable from the dish or four? If one, then you don't use a multiswitch, just a splitter. Either way, it can go in the cabinet along with the power inserter.
I have one cable from the dish. What kind of splitter should I use? Also, how would I mount the multiswitch and power inserter in the cabinet?

If you have only one cable coming in from the dish, you don't use a separate multiswitch, it's built into the lnb. You use a Directv approved splitter. How it fits into the cabinet is up to you as long as the splitter is either before the splitter or on the power passing leg of the splitter. Make sure any bends in the cable are at least 6" in diameter.

If you have only one cable coming in from the dish, you don't use a separate multiswitch, it's built into the lnb. You use a Directv approved splitter. How it fits into the cabinet is up to you as long as the splitter is either before the splitter or on the power passing leg of the splitter. Make sure any bends in the cable are at least 6" in diameter.
I have a splitter in the basement where the cable comes in from the dish. Can I move the PI down to that and hook it up to the splitter and then run RG6 cable to the wall mounts in each room where I have a receiver? Will that work?

I have a splitter in the basement where the cable comes in from the dish. Can I move the PI down to that and hook it up to the splitter and then run RG6 cable to the wall mounts in each room where I have a receiver? Will that work?

Sure. Just make sure if the power inserter is after the splitter that it's on a power passing leg of the splitter.

Some have a distinct line on them showing the power path.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts